Why I like older cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I like older cars

In a hour and a half ,using only hand tools I have the motor ready to pull (with the exception of motor mount and trans.bolts) out of the 79 Impala wagon. And it has A/C in the way. Try that with a new car. It will be nice not being powered by the stuttering, flat lobed ,running on 7.5 cylinders tired ass 350 that is in it now. Next will be something better sounding than the generic muffler shop turbo pukes on it now.

Re: Why I like older cars

I like the 79...

I do like the ease of maintenance as well.

I did not know those could flat lobe anything, very gentle runners. The block could destroy itself..but flat lobing a harder peice is something I never heard of...

is there an overzealous EGR system?

I still dig for impalas/caprice, 70s to 80s..

the 79 has a tougher looking front end, but I like all of them.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I have a Red on Red '77 Impala Coupe. 305/TH-350/8.5 Axle. Loaded. F-41 Suspension,everything except Electric Windows. It's the second newest Car I own,the newest is the '78 V6/3-Speed Malibu. ~J/W.

Comment

Ive gotten to where I can swap the trans in my 76 C10 in about 15 minutes. The engine comes out of my blue Formula in my sig after about half an hour. The longest part is getting the header bolts out. Just so happens that is the longest part of putting it back in too.

I like old cars because they are simple and cheap to work on. Insurance isnt expensive even for a GTO with a 455. I dont have a car payment, and I dont need a laptop to tune them. Also they arent front wheel drive, which I am rather unfond of working on. The best part about my old cars is when you mash the pedal they will rip off your head and shit down your neck.

Comment

the 97 marquis is actualy pretty easy to work on. besides the giant physical size of the 4.6L.

of course the chassis has remand mostly unchanged sense it's dabute in 1978 modle year :D

Comment

Originally posted by ChampTrucking
            In a hour and a half ,using only hand tools I have the motor ready to pull (with the exception of motor mount and trans.bolts) out of the 79 Impala wagon. And it has A/C in the way. Try that with a new car. It will be nice not being powered by the stuttering, flat lobed ,running on 7.5 cylinders tired ass 350 that is in it now. Next will be something better sounding than the generic muffler shop turbo pukes on it now.
            Around 1985 I had a 78 silver anniversary vette with a rod knock. I got up around 7AM on a Saturday morning, and in my Mom's backyard I degreased the engine bay, pulled the motor, pulled the head of the bank of the spun bearing, pulled the pan and crank, exchanged the crank with a friend that was OK, and a set of bearings, and we pressed on another rod that didn't need resize, and I was showered and off to my girlfriend's house in that car by 5PM that same day. The vette had AC and cruise control
            STUGOTS

Comment

Working...
            X