Gun questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun questions

As part of AFROTC, I will eventually have to qualify with a M9 and an M16. Now, the rifle portion I am not worried about, I am decent enough that I can usually shoot on par with if not better than my Army ROTC friends when we decide to burn through some .22. I know it will be different, but, from rifle to rifle the mechanics of shooting accurately seem pretty much the same. On the other hand, I have never shot a pistol before, and I would guess that it's a bit of a different game than shooting a rifle. There is a pistol range on campus that I have been meaning to stop by where they have guns and instructors for student use, but I also would like to look for an inexpensive pistol for the sake of owning a firearm, learning how to safely use, store, and maintain it, and being competent enough with it that I am not a danger to myself and others. So, are there any basic pistols that are functionally similar to an M9? I am hoping to find something in .22LR, but I don't know how it will compare to a 9mm. I plan on getting a CCW when I turn 21, but mostly to be have the option to carry, not because I have the intention of regularly doing so. Not really worried about self defense, except maybe from wild animals when I go hiking in some of the backwoods up here, but most things up here are bigger than what a .22 will stop.

Re: Gun questions

I have an AR15, its the same design as the M16/M4 just semi auto. Also I have a .45 ACP which is a bit larger than a 9mm but operates close to the 9mm. Come on down, pick up a few boxes of .223 and some .45ACP and I'll give you some instruction on them. Also have a Beretta .32 (7.65mm), its fun to shoot. I shot marksman 4 times in the USAF, the only times I didnt were when my eyes were healing after laser surgery, and when my glasses were very out of date.

Comment

I can't think of a .22 that functions similar to an M9, right off. But that series of Beretta is a sweet shooter. I have a 96 (almost same thing other than mine is 40 S&W) and when I was shooting regularly I could hit 16 oz pop bottles at almost 100 yds. I have never qualified for military service but I would think that pistol distance is going to be much shorter than rifle distance. If you have access to a range and instructors that should be your first stop. I know a guy over in Hancock that owns a gun shop and I am sure he would be happy to help with any questions you have. I suggest practicing with what you have to qualify with, it will keep you more consistant. The only thing I use a .22 for is plinking and rodent control

Comment

Admire your plans/pre-prep in anticipation of the arms qualfications ahead!

I'd suggest going to a local range, and/or joining a local gun enthusiast club.

Both options would give you structured opportunities to acquire the skills you seek.

You'll be far better off from the beginning to be careful NOT to acquire bad habits you'd need to un-learn later.

Posted at one firing range was this sign: "Practice alone does NOT make perfect, but perfect practice does."

HTH

Comment

If I were you,having never fired a pistol,I would talk with the AFROTC leadership at your school and ask them about some pre qual. training with the M9. Tell them the truth that you have never fired a pistol and want to make sure you learn correct handling/operation and practice prior to qualifying.
          Something that is very important to MILITARY weapons handling is to insure you aways do it THEIR way. In some ways you are ahead here,you have no PRELEARNED bad habits that most be broken.
          I'm sure the training is available from AFROTC,go there first.

BTW I have a 92FS and it is one sweet handling pistol.
          When I got it I downloaded and complete the M9 Basic course off the AF ALDS training site.If you have access to the Air Force Portal you'll find the course under ALDS.

Comment

AFROTC seems to be pretty non-weapon oriented. I know we don't offer anything here at school. The eventual qualification will be at field training next summer, but until then they offer no training.

As an airsofter, I am sure I have bad habits when it comes to firearms. The positive side is that the guy that taught me the basics about firearms was the type that would jump at the chance to show a kid his gun collection, and more importantly, how to handle them, i.e. safe direction to point the gun, trigger discipline, how to use different types of safeties, how to check if a round is in the chamber, how to safely clear a round, and how to store a gun, though that was limited to rifles and shotguns. He just retired from the military after 18 years active duty AF and 3 years of Army National Guard, including one tour in Iraq.

Comment

Don't forget to check into the laws up there. Here you have to be 21 to even purchase a handgun or ammo for one. I've never shot an M9 but the recoil difference between my .22LR and 9mm is fairly significant. My .22 magnum is closer, but I'd say it's better to use a gun that's the same caliber you're gonna have to qualify with.
              Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

Go see Todd.
                I'm probably wrong

Comment

Weapons Training Video

This is for fighting. This is for fun.*UPLOADED WITH PERMISSION*

;)

Comment

taurus was always a good value

Welcome to Taurus USA, where innovation lives. We combine rugged craftsmanship with next generation design & engineering to create quality firearms.

Comment

Originally posted by catchmeblue70
                      Don't forget to check into the laws up there. Here you have to be 21 to even purchase a handgun or ammo for one. I've never shot an M9 but the recoil difference between my .22LR and 9mm is fairly significant. My .22 magnum is closer, but I'd say it's better to use a gun that's the same caliber you're gonna have to qualify with.
                      You need to be 21 to buy a handgun from a licensed dealer, but it is legal for an 18 yo to buy a gun from a private party with a purchasing license. I don't know about ammo, but I know I can by .22LR on my own. Does anyone know how much 9mm costs per round? The main draw of a .22 is that its cheap to shoot, but then it is pretty much useless except for target shooting.

I'll hit the pistol club Tuesday night to see what they have to offer.

Comment

Side note........I'll always remember when I qualified
                        with the 45 back in '69

a real learning experience

smart move to brush up before hand
                        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

.45 , good stopping power

Comment

Stay away from the .22, its good for practice but thats it. stanard fare now is a good.40 cal., just keep in mind when purchasing,if you go cheap you get what you pay for. I bought a smith & wesson sigma in .40 cal. and you could'nt hit a barn standing 2' in front of it, no accuracy at all for $275. Spend a little cash and get a good weapon,you will be happier in the long run. I have a springfield XDM 40 now and it is deadly accurate, but they run $750.

Comment

I can get a box of 50 9mm Blazer rounds for $12, so that'd be $0.24/round. I have a Springfield XD sub-compact 9mm and it was around $500 when I got it over a year ago. I've put a LOT of ammo through it and never had any problems.
                              Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

Working...
                              X