Gun questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gun questions

Sweet...... availability? Price? I can't wait to get home to really check it out!

Hijack over, sorry Walt.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY
      Sweet...... availability? Price? I can't wait to get home to really check it out!

Hijack over, sorry Walt.
      NOT AVAILABLE in Calif...LOL....and I paid 378.00 for mine in Arkansas.....
      The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

Comment

Since I plan to keep my eye out for one, and affordability is a consideration- how much of a deal is it to buy a used handgun? What do you look out for? I am thinking 92FS or M9 as suggested.

Comment

The "deal" depends.... The monthly gun shows we have here tend to sell new guns for about $50-100 less than the local gun shops. Used market maybe $50-100 less than the new ones at the same show. I got my Inox 92FS and 2 hi Cap mags for $535new in 2009. At the time I could have got a blued 92fs for $450.

As a NOOBE,I would assume you don't know what to look for in a used gun,(niether do I) so I would shop gun shows and local shops and price whats out there. For a used gun I think I would buy from a dealer over the show but used the warranty is gone. Truth is every gun I bought was new in the box.NIB

Comment

If your buyin' used, look for slop. Guns are simply metal parts sliding together and they get sloppy when they get old. Go to a gun show and compare new gun action to old gun action. If you can shoot a '45 accurately, then bangin' a 9mm feels like a paintball gun! They are also as common as dirt as somebody at the gun show will have a new one and a used up one in the same booth (probably) This will give you a first hand knowledge of what a used up gun feels like... and then you can stay away from them.!! Guns are like women, the more you bang 'em, the more comfortable you get with 'em. practice makes perfect. just Breathe- Relax- Aim- Squeeze -n-Shoot.
            Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by 116ciHemi
              Since I plan to keep my eye out for one, and affordability is a consideration- how much of a deal is it to buy a used handgun?
              What do you look out for?
              I am thinking 92FS or M9 as suggested.
              Yes, if you are going to qualify with a Beretta M9, then keep your eye out for a used Beretta M9.

First of course, check to ensure the pistol is unloaded.
              Rack the slide and lock it back into the open position.
              Look down the barrel, using light to make sure it is smooth and clean.
              Click the mag release and the mag should slide out, push back in, while feeling how smooth it is.
              As suggested, move all the mechanical parts looking for slop or hangups in operation.
              Ask if you can "dry" fire it once (it will not really hurt it to do once).
              Depending upon condition, negotiate as appropriate and then get your butt to a range.
              ;D

Comment

Going to the Tampa Gun Show today.... and I am buying this..... ;D

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
                1966 Plymouth Fury III
                2014 Dodge Ram 1500
                Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
                Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

Here is my new XDm 40.... I will take it to the range this week.... ;D

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
                  1966 Plymouth Fury III
                  2014 Dodge Ram 1500
                  Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
                  Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

Nice. Once I can consistently stay in the 2" center ring at 10 meters with the mark 3, I will get checked out on the gun club XDM and try the 9mm. On Tuesday night the first gun I got my hands on was a sweet shooter (Easy 2" group even for me once I got it figured out), but the rear sights were shifted 1/8" or so off of center. I mentioned it to the range officer, and they swapped it out for one with good sights, but it was all over the place. (could have been me, also, not like I am a great shooter after 400 rounds of .22. I also ended up getting to play with a .22 revolver, which was nice and accurate in single action, but it felt like a toy gun in my hand.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly andersen
                      Might want to get a few years experience also before going the conceal carry route, its a big responsibility to have a permit. Not trying to be negative, but 3/4 of the people in My class had no business having a permit,let alone shooting a gun, 1/2 didnt even know how to load their weapon or release the safety, even less could hit the targets required to qualify, it was a very small graduating class. LOL
                      I have a few years to learn and decide, given that I am only 19 now. I don't see myself doing much with a gun in the next few years except for target shooting, so that leads me to the question- would a .22 be enough to run me through the basics of shooting and be similar enough to a 9mm to learn the fundamentals or does the less powerful round make enough difference that I should look for a 9mm or a .40? I know that actually getting instruction and experience will tell me more, but my mind is wandering and I am curious. ???
                      a 22 is enough.
                      they just get bigger/smaller.

I have AF training as well, volunteered to clean many guns to get out of the barracks, while in basic.

they were flimsy. The winchester 22 I had was heavier.
                      I do not believe much has changed about weight.
                      handguns too, 22 is enough.. learning the stubiness of the barrel and how to aim can be had. then the gun just get bigger. apply all you got from a little one.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

TAURUS PT 740 SLIM
                        $379.99

Item# 18682120
                        SKU: 0357-03513-8080
                        Style# 1-740039

This will be my next carry gun.
                        Moonshine the official Power Tour Drink.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main
                          Originally posted by kelly andersen
                          Might want to get a few years experience also before going the conceal carry route, its a big responsibility to have a permit. Not trying to be negative, but 3/4 of the people in My class had no business having a permit,let alone shooting a gun, 1/2 didnt even know how to load their weapon or release the safety, even less could hit the targets required to qualify, it was a very small graduating class. LOL
                          I have a few years to learn and decide, given that I am only 19 now. I don't see myself doing much with a gun in the next few years except for target shooting, so that leads me to the question- would a .22 be enough to run me through the basics of shooting and be similar enough to a 9mm to learn the fundamentals or does the less powerful round make enough difference that I should look for a 9mm or a .40? I know that actually getting instruction and experience will tell me more, but my mind is wandering and I am curious. ???
                          a 22 is enough.
                          they just get bigger/smaller.

I have AF training as well, volunteered to clean many guns to get out of the barracks, while in basic.

they were flimsy. The winchester 22 I had was heavier.
                          I do not believe much has changed about weight.
                          handguns too, 22 is enough.. learning the stubiness of the barrel and how to aim can be had. then the gun just get bigger. apply all you got from a little one.
                          if you get the .22 and then later a .40 or a 9mm or .357 sig or something, you probably won't want to get rid of the .22. The Glock .40 is a good choice for me because the barrel and slide can be changed from .40 to .357 sig (interesting round) and there's just some macho bullshit about having 15 rounds of .40 there. Big bores are great and alll...but I wouldn't get rid of my .22's for anything. They're pretty cheap to operate, quiet (no flinching), don't kick so much as a .40 (no flinching), and most girls aren't afraid of it.

I've only sold one gun, a Thompson Contender in .44 mag, and I've been pissed for years about doing so. They're a lot smaller than cars so it's easier to justify more than a couple.

Comment

Just went and applied for my FFL and carry Licences. I also love my glock 40 it has night sights on it and they make it quick to aim. I also have a rugger 40 that I like and a smith 9mm. Plus several others I have been collecting guns for 25 yrs now. I use to buy 1 a month back when I had my union job. I am well over 100 guns so far. My wife ask me why I need so many? I tell her it's because I only have one wife and she leaves it at that. ;)
                            Moonshine the official Power Tour Drink.

Comment

Working...
                            X