DAYTONA, am I the only one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DAYTONA, am I the only one?

NASCAR heard their fans,, it was a fun race from lap 1 to the end..
    record lead changes, passing every where ,every lap..
    best daytona in years..
    taladaga, will be tons of fun,,
    if the new are allow this on almost all the tracks it's gonna be a great year..

Comment

couldn't tell who was going to win ..a popular outcome

Comment

Monte Dutton

Daytona 500

Daytona International Speedway

Lightning strikes twice: In 1963, driver Marvin Panch was burned in a sport-car crash. One of the men who pulled him out of that burning Maserati was Tiny Lund, who was given the Wood Brothers ride for the Daytona 500 ? and won it. Trevor Bayne, who turned 20 on Saturday, won in Daytona?s biggest upset in 48 years ? with the same team.

While on the subject of milestones: It was the Wood Brothers? first Daytona 500 victory since David Pearson in 1976.

Seven hundred with a bullet: Bayne gave Ford its 600th win in NASCAR?s top series. Fords finished 1-2-3: Bayne, Carl Edwards and David Gilliland.

Notable numbers

8 ? Number of laps above the scheduled distance.

16 ? Record number of caution flags.

74 ? Record number of lead changes.

2001 ? Year of Wood Brothers? previous victory, by Elliott Sadler at Bristol

Quotable quotes

?This is insane, man. God has been so good to us this week. ? This is so crazy.? ? Trevor Bayne

?I did the best I could not to cause a wreck.? ? runner-up Carl Edwards

?Those guys ahead pulled Montoya off my bumper and we couldn?t get the head of speed we needed.? ? Kurt Busch, quizzically.

?It is very difficult to do this.? ? Jeff Burton

?This is one of the greatest ones we?ve ever had.? ? Leonard Wood

Comment

i have been going to Daytona for years and this was the best in a long time. at least the bump drafting is something differant to watch. as mentioned, there was a record number of cautions, mostly because of wrecks (and no serious injuries, thank god). there was a record number of lead changes, 60 before, up to 74 yesterday. there was passing and racing going on all the way back into the pack, the whole race. if a pack broke away, they were always caught. and the little guys had just as much a chance to win as the big names. i was watching guys at the back of the pack come all the way up to the front and those at the front would go backwards. this was the closest, most exciting racing i have seen in years, in any form of car racing. and to think, that NASCAR tried to squash this type of racing with rules changes, only days before the race. trying to discourage innovation....and they wonder why they where losing their fans.
          Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

I"m still on the fence about this 2x2 drafting. Seemed like a lot more politicing and deal making over just racing. The increase in the amount of radio traffic during the race was just weird.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

[Hey Bill - You live in SoCal and you aren't going to the Winternationals next weekend?

[/quote]

Actually I mis-spoke, I'll be at an event called the Run to the Coast, road course, auto-x and speed stop challenge, a feeder event to the Optima Ultimate Street Car Shootout or whatever its called. I'd rather be a participant than a spectator even if I'm slow, unskilled and an idiot for trying to make a flexible barge go, stop or turn.

I find the heads up races, PSCA etc. more entertaining and I have friends who compete in those series, maybe me too this year as well as the West Coast NHRA Unleashed.
              Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

It was better than I expected, of course I only watched the last 20 or so.

It was great to see The Wood Brothers and King Richard standing in victory lane. They are a great group of people and racers. What was equally great is seeing a winner that is humble...I hope he stays that way.

Congratulations guys.

Comment

Your the third person to say the same thing about the race

Comment

Originally posted by groucho
                    I thought it was a pretty good race. And the kid that won sure seemed to gain respect from a lot of veterans. Great win for the Wood Brothers too. Betcha the kid gets a full ride this year after yesterday
                    He has a deal with Wood Brothers to run 5 races in Sprint Cup this year. the max he can run in Sprint Cup (if he can get a sponsor)
                    is, i think, 13 or 15, because he has already committed to run Nationwide races with Rousch Racing, and new rules say you can only run one or the other. So actually, he doesn't get any points, and the second place finisher, Carl Edwards, is leader in Sprint Cup points right now.
                    Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

once again , new rules backfire on the nascar
                      everybody wants the daytona 500 winner at their races

Comment

Working...
                      X