Open road racing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open road racing...

As mentioned in the "fastest you've been on public road"-topic, ..."Open Road Racing"... Legally, that is.

I wonder what's your take on this.
    I've been eyeballing the sites mentioned, I can say without a doubth that I'm pretty stoked about the clips that were shown;

-> http://www.openroadracing.com/straightclip.wmv
    -> http://www.openroadracing.com/curveclip.wmv
    8)

Or in Mexico;

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Re: Open road racing...

I would LOVE to do something like this.

Isnt there one in Nebraska somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by V10Mercury

the "Sandhills" event. The Silver State Challenge is pretty cool too, I'm not really a fan of any of these events for (in my opinion) the danger involved in going fast on roads not designed for it - they have some gnarly wrecks at those events - but like a trainwreck I'll gladly watch a youtube video,

-scott
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

UMMM YEAH !!!!!!!!

Comment

True, but they also prepare for them by bumping up the medics/fire/first response. And I'm sorry, but if you choose to run it you know exactly what you're getting yourself into, in my opinion. Wouldn't deter me the least though.

Now, if I can get the new owner of the "Stealth Bomber" Diplomat to take it back to SSC...
          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z
            True, but they also prepare for them by bumping up the medics/fire/first response. And I'm sorry, but if you choose to run it you know exactly what you're getting yourself into, in my opinion. Wouldn't deter me the least though.

Now, if I can get the new owner of the "Stealth Bomber" Diplomat to take it back to SSC...
            I can let you talk to a few people who'd deter you. People who've done it, and crashed, and fortunately lived to tell about it even after bouncing off trees and boulders for a half mile. Everyone has the biggest balls until it's time to eat a door bar.
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Check out Charlie Friend's Corvair.....185+ and see what he walked away from when things went a little bad. It's all in how you prep yourself and your car/truck.

Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

Comment

I dont have the funds to take a car that is capeable of 185, our wagon makes me nervous @ 110. I looked into the silver state classic several years ago and I think you have to run the 110 class your first time anyway. I just think it would be fun to go and do that, even if you didnt go over 150.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                  Originally posted by V10Mercury

the "Sandhills" event. The Silver State Challenge is pretty cool too, I'm not really a fan of any of these events for (in my opinion) the danger involved in going fast on roads not designed for it - they have some gnarly wrecks at those events - but like a trainwreck I'll gladly watch a youtube video,

-scott
                  In all fairness S.R.318 (Silver State Challenge) is a well maintained road, no potholes or ruts exist on it very long, and whole sections of road are re-paved before the event if there are issues with the road, not just filled in. Plus the Tech requirements are pretty firm for the different speeds. I've seen several cars signed up for higher speed brackets end up in lower speed brackets due to insufficient safety/suspension/tire tech requirements. That being said I'll be signing up for it within the next two years ;)
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by 66gg1tnc
                    Check out Charlie Friend's Corvair.....185+ and see what he walked away from when things went a little bad. It's all in how you prep yourself and your car/truck.

Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.
                    Above 140 there is no such thing as a little bad.
                    Yes I would do it.
                    Terry

Comment

I've been sitting on the side of the road a few times as he flew by, I don't have a radar gun but I was on a nice straight-a-way. If I remember right he's one of the few guys that have an Unlimited tech speed.
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Very cool! I'd love to know what RPM that engine was turning. I was waiting for the BANG! rattle, rattle, rattle, SCREEEEEECH! :P
                        Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I am going to do that some day very soon. VERY SOON.

All I need now is a car. :P
                          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

theres a club here in houston that races around 610 on motorcycles.

Comment

I crewed for a '65 Mustang that ran Targa Newfoundland. Blasting through neighborhoods with the blessing of the government! It was an absolute riot.
                              I'd do that race in a heartbeat. Cars do get totaled, but the speeds aren't insane, so bad injuries are very, very rare. Those roads suck, too. Gravel and crap in the corners, pot holes...the year before we ran it, a Porsche 911 crossed a bridge at speed, and the transition was so bad it literally ripped the entire engine and rear suspension out of the car. As in "Boom! Big bump, big sparks, car skidded one way, entire cradle went the other." When we ran it, one car ripped out the oil pan. Skids plates are a must, as is stock ride-height.
                              The same guys I went with ran La Carerra in a '53 Stude two years before. They said that was a ton wilder, and a whole lot faster. And a whole lot more dangerous. Cliff-side roads don't have guard rails, that sort of thing. And cars DO go off the cliffs.

One of the guys with the Mustang said Targa was anti-climactic after Mexico, the other bought out the first's share of the Mustang, built a new motor and went back to Targa last year because he enjoyed it so much.

From my limited experience, and talking to a lot of guys who have run a lot of different types of open road racing events, I'd absolutely do Targa, because it's a lot tougher to get killed. It'd be about 50/50 whether I'd do La Carerra, and only about a 10-percent chance I'd run Silver State. They call it "terminal velocity" for a reason.

-Brad

Comment

Working...
                              X