San Diego Sprint, with pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Diego Sprint, with pics

Rare are four-day weekends for me now, so when I realized that I could split Prescott after my class at 10:30am on Friday and not be back until Tuesday it took me about five minutes to put the cat in a boarding kennel, pack the car and haul ass. Went to see my friends Alan and Jeni, two of the WA State Subaru club people who had moved to San Diego last year for work. Great shot to see how the Mustang works as a roadtrip car...in short, not as well as the Monte, but not bad.

Brenda, Arizona. Population: missing. This was pretty cool, all these buildings probably date somewhere between 1880-1920. They're fenced off and protected, up the road a quarter-mile are two general stores mainly haunted by locals and bikers.

Glamis. I didn't know how close I actually live to the dunes. Looks like I need to get paddle tires for the Mirada.

The Presidio, a lookout post/monastery/fort. Getting out of the car you're hit with the light smell of eucalyptus and all the flowers, and for being right on top of I-8, it's peaceful and quiet. The monastery building in the pictures is now a museum, the main chapel is gone, but if you walk around the grasses near where the giant cross is you can still see the foundation.

Padre Island, the San Diego Pier, and Sunset Cliffs. Of course, if there's a coastline I'm gonna find it...especially after 2009's run up Highway 1. I stayed at the pier for a while watching people surf, then cruised all the way up and down Sunset Cliffs.

I didn't get any pictures of Old Town or some of the HOLY EFFIN' GOD!-pricey homes that are in the area. Picture the best hardwood floors you've ever seen...make your garage door that. Pay $10K/mo for yard maintenance. Those kinds of houses. Alan took me on a guided tour on Saturday (all these pictures are either Friday or Sunday), and after driving though the richest neighborhood I've ever seen, we found an intersection with five dealerships: Maserati, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, and a race car-specific place that had a IMSA Stingray Corvette and a Porsche 935 in it.

Total distance: 786mi
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Re: San Diego Sprint, with pics

Nice pics, thanks. I sure could use a sunny, warm V8-powered roadtrip. Snowed here again today
    1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Don't feel too bad...there was plenty of snow waiting for me in Prescott when I got back. Add to the fun, I've got bald tires...not amused.
      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I got to spend a good portion of my navy days in san diego, if I could I would live there
        Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Working...
        X