Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best CAR for commuting and occasional 5000lb towing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best CAR for commuting and occasional 5000lb towing.

Needs to be newer than my current daily driver (2000) and use less fuel (22 mpg)
    No trucks, suv’s or vans.

The related question is: what did Ford due to the panther cars in 98(?) that required cutting the tow rating down into the useless territory? And is there a way to get it back up?

Re: What is the best CAR for commuting and occasional 5000lb towing.

5000. ???

a modified 70s 80s caprice sized chassis?
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

all the frames rotted out
      96 buick roadmaster wagon
      1990-96 cadillac commercial chassis with the 9.5 rear axle

Comment

Comment

I think the best you'll do is a 77-96 GM B-body wagon. Sorry..
          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I think he's right. I checked up on the Magnum and they only rate up to 3800lbs.

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

irs is not too hot for towing

Comment

your firebird with airbags in the back? ;D

seriously though, what are you hauling?

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

a 78-97 panther platform would work. my grand marquis has a tow rating of 5,000lbs

in 98 ford dropped it to 3,000 for who knows what reason

Comment

Originally posted by Aircooled
                    Needs to be newer than my current daily driver (2000) and use less fuel (22 mpg)

The related question is: what did Ford due to the panther cars in 98(?) that required cutting the tow rating down into the useless territory? And is there a way to get it back up?
                    to answer the panther question they added the watts link. only change in the chassis from 97 to 98. how this limits the towing no idea

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Dippy
                      Originally posted by Aircooled

to answer the panther question they added the watts link. only change in the chassis from 97 to 98. how this limits the towing no idea
                      Safety regs kicked in that year. I think it affected trucks too - I have a '98 3/4 ton dodge truck, my neighbor has a '97, both rated for the same towing but mine required much larger brakes front and rear. It was said on the internet forums at the time that this was some kind of safety-driven thing, so maybe it's relevant to the cars you're talking about as well?

How far are you looking to tow 5000 lbs? I would recommend a half ton truck for short trips, but even after that I'd prefer a 3/4 or 1-ton chassis for longer trips. That's just my opinion though.
                      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

this is a joke right

Comment

get a prius AND an old 3/4 ton pickup. On average you'll do a lot better.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I don't think your requirements are compatible. Kinda like the Humvee that can fly too.

But I've been drooling over this and dreaming of a 6.0/480LE swap for great tow vehicle.

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/2226879984.html
                            1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Holy shit, I think 3main boxer wrote that craigslist add!
                              Originally posted by TC
                              also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Working...
                              X