Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best CAR for commuting and occasional 5000lb towing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the best CAR for commuting and occasional 5000lb towing.

A Ford Flex would come really close - they are rated up to 5,000, and 22 combined driving should be doable.

It's these type of requirements that led me to driving a POS DD 4 banger, and keeping the diesel crew cab 4x4 off the road unless I need it.

If you only need a big truck occasionally - it doesn't make any sense to drive it every day, wearing out expensive parts, tires, and consuming way more fuel than you need to.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel
      Holy shit, I think 3main boxer wrote that craigslist add!
      Holy shit x 2, I think you're right! :D

Comment

I kinda knew that the '96 B-body and '97 Panther were the last of the 5000lb rated tow capacity cars. However, I only expect to pull a full 5000 lbs maybe 4 times a year for a dozen miles or so. Something with a 3500 lbs rating that won't choke on 5000 lbs is closer to my needs. You don't have to be pulling a car on a dovetail to hit 5000lbs. A 16 foot trailer with 2 yards of gravel or 40 bags of cement is there.

I don't have enough parking for the DD, old 3/4 ton truck and trailer solution. I only get 2 of the 3.
        I drive 40 miles a day, so I need decent fuel mileage. I had a Dodge Dakota as a daily driver before and I just couldn't stand the plow like a John Deere handling. It's near impossible to find a clean '94 -'96 B-body around here and an LT1 seems like a step backwards from my currently LS1. I know, I know, I want, I want.....

Anyway, I'll probably end up with a 2004'ish Grand Marque. I still think Ford cut the tow rating in '98 to force more people into high profit Explorers and Expeditions.

Comment

Swallow your pride, get a car that gets ~40mpg as your DD... then with your fuel savings RENT a U-haul pick up truck for $29 four times a year. You'll be WAY ahead.

Comment

good idea

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

only 40 miles a day.. thats not bad.
              if you only need it a few times a year, and only a few dozen miles each time..
              rent a u haul truck only 19 bucks a day..
              and get a daily with high 20's to 30mpg

Comment

The rental or buy a friend some gas or beer solution is certainly cheaper in the long run.

Another newer Ford that comes to mind is the step child model Freestyle / Taurus X wagons - just make DAMNED SURE you don't get the CVT - I know for sure they'll tow 5000lb - a friend did it often with his leased taurus x 6 speed pulling a small single axle bike trailer full of his sons dirt bikes and gears.

I will tell you from a DD perspective - the focus makes a nice little package - my transmission guy has only ever had ONE on his rack for trans work - and it was due to a blown cooler line running out of fluid. Mine has 178 on the original everything.... but the rockers are rusting out.... they will eventually be body work / thin gauge welding practice for me.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I saw this on thereifixedit.com , and thought it mite fit in here.

Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Originally posted by sedandelivery55
                    Holy shit x 2, I think you're right! :D

i agree with milner..i drive a 4 speed corrolla to work..and own a 3/4 chevy to haul and tow with..i did about 700 miles with it last summer...so i really dont mind dropping 40$ in it to go pick up baby furniture 130 miles return..thats what i did this early saturday morning...CUZ I'M GONNA BE A DADDY!!!!! whooo whoooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

little jacob is due to arrive here may 28th...unless he changes his mind!!!

alan
                    "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Congrats dude!!!!

Mine was born 15 May last year and we're now going to upgrade the truck this fall (after the AF makes it's RIF announcements and I get kept that is) to something with an extended cab.

Good to know the Flex/Freestyle can tow pretty well. I actually like the styling on them believe it or not.

What about the older Caddy SRX?
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

holy shit you are quite wrong. ???

I agree with the caprice description...

the diesel swap makes too much sense. We can't have that.

funny enough, I'd use the boxer with welded chassis before an s10 for stuff that would work with it.

going with 30mpg and diesel, what an option...could keep it for everything.
                        kinda like the net always staying the same, working once and awhile.

Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                        X