Time to fire up the grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to fire up the grill

I realize this is a carjunkie forum, but I also know there are some really great fabricators on this board. Spring is upon us and the back yard grilling season is starting. I was just wondering what cool grills you folks have on the patio or in the race car trailer. Let's see some pics and maybe even some good recipes you all enjoy after a day of wrenching or racing.

Ron
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Re: Time to fire up the grill

Marinade chicken breast in Italian salad dressing for 6-24 hours before grilling. That will be juicy, delicious chicken. Same goes for burgers. The best part is that its cheap and easy.
    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I make my own bar-b-que sauce. It was my step Grandfather's recipe. I mess with it depending on what I am BBQing that day, sweeter or spicier. I wish someone made stuff even similiar to it, but no one does. It would be much cheaper and satisfy my lazy ass, so I have to buck up and make two quarts a few times a year. Friends and neighbors always seem to know when I make it and show up at my door with their mason jars.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

We've been grilling every weekend for at least a month now. Especially since NASCAR started. Sunday BBQ and relaxing. 8)

We have a pretty good size smoker that we bought last December. It was "damaged," so we got a great deal on it. Only damage was one of the wheels was bent to the side a little. Stuck a pry bar on it and straightened it out.

I agree with the Italian dressing marinade. I've used it several times and it always comes out good. I usually add some beer to it. A good store bought marinade is Chipotle Lime. I think it's Hunts, but I'm not sure. It's very good as a marinade and as a sauce on chicken. I like to smoke, especially brisket and pork shoulder. I soak briskets in Claudes brisket marinade and beer. I have also injected the brisket with the same marinade. I smoke it at about 175-225 degrees for 18-20 hours. Comes out great.

Steaks I generally like plain with some sea salt. I add pepper after they're cooked because pepper tends to get bitter when it's cooked. I also make sure to let the steaks "rest" after cooking to allow the juices to re-distribute through the meat. The juices tend to go to the outside of the steak when you cook them and if you cut into the steak right after cooking, the juice will just run out. If it sets about 10 minutes, the juice re-distributes and makes the whole steak better. I also don't use a fork on steaks while cooking. I use tongs. Once the outsides are seared, poking holes just allows the juice to come out of the steak and onto the grill, were it does no good to my mouth. I've also marinaded steaks in the above mentioned Chipotle Lime marinade, and they were great. But you just can't beat a plain, thick steak with taters and beans. ;D

OldUsedParts also does some cooking. We'll see if he jumps in. I still owe him one of my CD's with my recipies. :o

Comment

My wife and I grill year-round. You kinda have to crank the grill up a little when its cold and windy to compensate.

How much beer do you add to the Italian?

Now I'm hungry. And thirsty. ;)
          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

How much beer do you add to the Italian?
            Depends on how much I'm preparing, which determines how much Italian I'm using. I generally don't measure anything. I'd say about 2 parts beer to 1 part Italian. Maybe 1/2 a bottle of Italian and 1 full beer in a gallon zip lock bag with just enough chicken to be covered by the marinade. I might add a couple cloves of minced fresh garlic as well.

BTW, the beer and Italian combo doesn't really look very good, but it is good.

Comment

We've been using the new killer gas grill that Walt and Judy (My mom and dad) got us as a shop warming gift. It's cool as hell. We'll build a cool CarJunkieTV style smoker at some point as well since we are just as big a fan of smoked flesh as seared flesh. BBQ good...
              "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

I'm the local Weber grill sales rep in the SE, so this is my kind of thread!

Any of you ever done "beer can chicken"? It is the best!

Comment

I not only grill but bake and cook indoors as well...My best recipe is "arroz con pollo" (Puerto Rican chicken and rice) I am not a huge fan of grilling but my ribs are damn tasy if I do say so myself and I make my own BBQ sauce...

Comment

I suck in the kitchen. But I can grille dead animal flesh pretty well. My wife makes this unique (and pretty tasty) diet Pepsi chicken recipe. It's the other, other, other whitish meat.

Comment

damn im hungry

Comment

fire fire huh huh
                        HRPT 2004LH 2007LH 2008

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo Regal

Yup.  Beer butt chicken.  If you've never had it, you have to do it.  One of the easiest ways to cook a chicken.  My method:  Rub the chicken with your choice of spices, stand it up on a beer can shoved up it's butt (about 1/2 of a 12 oz beer, you can drink the first half), stick a jalapeno in the neck and put in on the grill on medium-low heat.  Let it go for a couple hours (you can check internal temp with a thermometer if your worried about food poisoning, wuss  :P).  The beer will steam the inside of the chicken while the grill cookes the outside.  Very good stuff.

Try a beer butt turkey.  Same thing, but use a big Fosters or a 24oz beer can of your choice.  Takes a bit longer to cook, but just as good.

By the way, if anybody's ever in the Southern New Mexico/West Texas area (El Paso/Las Cruces), hit me up. I'll cook up some food and have cold beers iced down.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo Regal

The old weber gets used year round at our house. Nothing special but we grill once a week chicken,steak and burgers.
                            Weber makes a killer grill my wife wishes my 20 yr old one would die so she could get a new one touch but it has no rust anywhere! Saw the one with the built in table the other day and she almost cried she liked it so much. Then came home and cussed mine for not rusting away!

Comment

Had Beer Brats tonight :o TJ loves those (my 12 year old)
                              2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                              First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                              2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                              2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Working...
                              X