Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time to fire up the grill

Originally posted by JeffMcKC
    Had Beer Brats tonight :o TJ loves those (my 12 year old)
    I love beer brats. Got my mouth watering now.

Comment

After burning the legs off a couple chickens, I do my "beer butt" chicken a little differently. I put the chicken in a roasting pan (liberally seasoned, inside and out with whatever spice rub I'm in the mood for), then pour a beer in the bottom of the pan. The beer keeps the bottom of the chicken from burning, and as it boils/cooks, it also adds flavor and moisture to the bird. Just check on it once in a while... don't let it go dry!

I did the same thing with the Thanksgiving turkey a year and a half ago, over an oak fire. I used Mrs Dash Extra Spicy for my spice rub. I didn't want to cook it too fast, so I kept the fire (coals) under it rather small. The damned thing took 5 hours to cook, but man oh man, was that worth the wait!

Comment

Good point on the legs burning. Forgot to mention, I usually put a good piece of doubled over foil on the grill and put the bird on top of that. Keeps direct fire from burning the bottom. I also fill a spray bottle with beer and spray the bird occasionally to keep the outside moist.

Comment

Anyone try the beer butt chicken with a full, sealed can o'beer? Seems like a Mythbuster's style explosion in the making, but easier to make chicken salad once cooked.

Just a thought
          Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
            Anyone try the beer butt chicken with a full, sealed can o'beer? Seems like a Mythbuster's style explosion in the making, but easier to make chicken salad once cooked.

Just a thought
            Dan
            Dan, you try this and when you've got the grill all cleaned up let us know how it came out! :D

Comment

[/quote]

I love beer and brats. But not necessarily together. You realize that when you boil the brats in beer, the alcohol boils away? That could be construed as alcohol abuse you know!

Comment

Originally posted by CJP
                I love beer and brats. But not necessarily together. You realize that when you boil the brats in beer, the alcohol boils away? That could be construed as alcohol abuse you know!
                [/quote]

Oh no. The flavor they give the brats is more than enough to make up for the waste of "alcohol".

I saute a large onion until it's got some color on it, then add the brats and beer. Bring to a boil, then simmer (covered) for 20 or 30 minutes (or until the charcoal is ready), then grill them to put some color on em... return to the beer pot to keep them hot until served. Top with the onions... mmm.
                To steal Johnsonville's motto, "Heaven on a bun".

Comment

Working...
                X