Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• supercharged 454 backfire problems

I got a buddy that has a backfire problem on his supercharged 454
    177 blower, 781 heads, 9.01 pistons (calculated with the heads), blower cam, new hei,
    750 edelbrock not modified for a blower, plugs black but tips are white
    i was thinking rich idle/ lean under power. it backfires under a heavy load
    not sure what plugs he uses, his fuel presser gauge not working but has plenty (according to him)
    claims this thing only makes 3 psi :-\ but has no plug in the lower intake to check how much boost
    he has if it is only 3 psi could he be too under driven to run??? I messed with a sbc with a 6-71
    that my buddy tried to underdrive it to around 3 or 4 pounds and it wouldnt run we had to get it up to 6 to 7 for it to
    even run right! NOTE: the valve train and compression checked out out fine tonight
    any ideas guys ????
    COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Re: supercharged 454 backfire problems

lean

Comment

lean or not enough timing. big blocks love advance, even with a blower

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I was thinking lean too, he has no fuel presser gauge or vac/boost gauge : im going over tomorrow to try to help him I dont think he gots his ducks in a row, thanks alot guys its good to have smart friends all over the country ;D ;D

Comment

you can take the belt off a 177 blower and the motor will still run. 3 psi is good increase of power without the attendant air-heating problems that 6 psi and up causes... that blower isn't terribly efficient, thus spinning it fast just makes more heat.

... and what they said about timing^^^^ .... however, no fuel gauge and no boost gauge = no longevity.

what is the timing set to? let me guess, no timing light either?
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
            you can take the belt off a 177 blower and the motor will still run. 3 psi is good increase of power without the attendant air-heating problems that 6 psi and up causes... that blower isn't terribly efficient, thus spinning it fast just makes more heat.

... and what they said about timing^^^^ .... however, no fuel gauge and no boost gauge = no longevity.

what is the timing set to? let me guess, no timing light either?
            : or a 25 year old walmart turd, he hasnt called me back yet Ill post when I here from him

Comment

put a BTM on it and put a curve in that HEI or better yet...DUMP it
              "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Working...
              X