Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The shitbox that launched a thousand blog items

Heh!

Well, I got a hold of a neat machine that converts VHS tapes to DVDs. Me and the boys have been converting all my monster truck videos and stuff.

I found a tape of the Firebird my buddies and I put together as seniors in high school (with help from my saint of a father to prevent us from killing ourselves) for $1100 bucks. This car was an ugly mongrel but we raced the piss out of the thing four days a week (wed/fri/sat/sun). My dad took this video from the stands. It shows one full run and a pretty decent burnout on the circle track slicks we used.

Anyway, it is a slow car that we all still laugh about. It was so much fun and by the end of the season it ran high 13.80s. We felt like the kings of the world.

Sorry for the watermark on the video for the first minute, but I'm scraping for cash now with the work coming up on Goliath, so spending the 72 beans to fully activate the editing software is going to have to wait a little.

This video pretty much marks the beginning of my BangShifty voyage through life.

Here's a short video from 1998 showing the Firebird me and two of my buddies, along with my dad put together from 1100 total bucks of junkyard parts (includi...
    That which you manifest is before you.

Re: The shitbox that launched a thousand blog items

Dosen't look like such a bad Car. ~J/W.

Comment

I had a beige Ford Fiesta (not Festiva) in high school, I would have killed for even a slow Firebird.
      Lon. HazelGreen Ala.

Comment

Originally posted by Lon_H
        I had a beige Ford Fiesta (not Festiva) in high school, I would have killed for even a slow Firebird.
        I drove a friends around, crazy car, crazier than the 2.2 turbo omni. :

had driveshafts for transaxles, snap the wheel left, and let go, it would go right the same distance, car would wiggle back and forth all by itself...burn 3 gears of rubber. :o
        it was 300 pounds motor and 50 pounds of sheet metal unibody.

ahh the inline four mentality.

and that firebird vid is always priceless..
        :D

some of the stuff forgotten, a simple vid is always priceless.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

It was too much fun, really.

I put 500 bucks that I had saved into the effort and two buddies threw 300 a piece in. We screwed it together in my parents' garage. The great thing about New England Dragway is that you can tow your junk there in the Spring and leave it in the pits all year. We used to car pool up during the week and help whomever was driving that night, out.

At the time I didn't realize how cool my parents were, but now, I do.

Comment

awesome story! and I don't think 13.80's are anything to sneeze at for that much money. Hell they guy that I used to go to the track with back in the late 80's ran 13:20's in a 88Mustang GT that was "built"
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

cool stuff bruab,,

i just bought a diamond video VC500 video capture device...now i will convert my VHS and VHSC cassettes..stuff from street racing in montreal,car shows,powerfest,and memphis FSC stuff from the 90s...and upload to my own youtube channel. ;D

....man time flies tho.....
              "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Take it from an old fart

document your rides

I was fortunate enough to have photo'd my
                '55 and '59 Chevy
                I treasure those pics now

only wish I had pics of my '56 Ford (my first car) and my
                '49 Chevy (today it would've been the ultimate rat rod)

as the years pass by......you'll treasure 'em even more
                especially if you're a bangshifter

great vid Brian
                Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Very cool stuff, Brian. For $1100 I think you and your buddies put together an awesome car that was obviously a lot of fun. My buddies and I are still turning similar times year after year at our strip but it's still a blast ($6 to run all night Test 'n Tune!).

Keep that good stuff comin'!

Originally posted by nosnerd
                  ..stuff from street racing in montreal
                  Okay, you better share with us all or send a copy my way! I would love to see what you were up to in my town :P

Comment

Thanks guys!

I have video of the very first weekend of running the Nova in 1999 as well. It sits like a 4wd, bounces off the starting line because the suspension setup couldn't be more wrong, and generally looks goofy, but it made me smile!

Comment

whats with the writing in the middle of the picture..

Comment

Just today, on the way home from school, there's a '84 Firebird...no spoiler, could be a 4-cylinder, probably a 2.8 V6, for sale cheap in a Safeway parking lot...this didn't help..
                        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Those boys are lucky you had a slower car,you left on both of them LOL

Comment

Very cool to have that tape! And I'm impressed that it moved under it's own power, putting it WAY ahead of my HS ride. My Dad was beyond "non-supportive" all the way to "obstructionist". Give yer folks a hug - they earned it. Of course, this event DID ruin your life as it led to BS!

Dan

Comment

man i miss being in highschool and racing my slow as balls 1982 Grand Prix. the one with the olds 350. it was one of the faster cars at the school and by my senior year the rumor was it was a 400+hp 12 second monster with a 455 big block :D

in reiality the fastest car i ever beat was a LT1 camaro that ran 14.1s and a lot of 4.6L mustang GTs. all of witch mommy and daddy bought. i built my POS ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X