The shitbox that launched a thousand blog items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The shitbox that launched a thousand blog items

This was the ride that did it for me. I didn't get to drive it very long because my big sis, Jennifer, had it before me and nearly destroyed it. She plowed into a tree, rammed multiple snow drifts, and even did a full blown Dukes of Hazard with me in it. I drove it for the first time at 14 y/o when Mom and Dad were out of town. It had a '70 Eldo 500 ci and 3.23's out back.

What did it for me? Being able to drive it school one day. (Dad had a huge hatred of us lids driving to school.) I picked up a few friends and smoked off the studded snows at every stop. After school, we parked it on an irritating speed bump in the parking lot and I used those studs to grind it down. Smoke and sparks everywhere. It was great.

That night we went cruising West Dodge Rd and I raced it for the first time against a hot small blocked '71 Chevelle. I smoked his ass. The dual exhaust with massive mufflers and dual resonators meant it sounded only like rushing air at full song. WHHOOSSSHHH!!!! My friends named it the Gray Ghost.

I was hooked. Then, late in the spring, Dad gave up on it and bought a '77 Honda Accord hatchback with the Hondamatic, a two speed semi auto trans. With a underwhelming 83 hp and only two speeds, it was hell to drive. I made due by learning how to use the handbrake for some fun.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

awesome... wish my parents had supported drag racing when I was that age.

my dad is an ex-drag racer from southern cal, and I'm certain it colored his view of his kids racing... too bad.... my first was a trying-to-forget 62 Buick skylark that I pulled from behind a bar... probably why I'm as fast on a bike as I am now - I just imagine a race between me and that slug car (it was brown too).
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Pretty neat , 13.80 is cool. Did you have fun? Thats the important thing

Comment

this old beeter was my first car, should have taken better care of it :-\
          COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Working...
          X