a couple of spectacular clutch explosions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a couple of spectacular clutch explosions

found these while browsing youtube last night.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Graeme Cowin suffers a massive clutch explosion in his Rocket Industries Top Fuel Dragster (The actual explosions are from the clutch not the engine)
    It's a Tri-Power Inline six [email protected] in the 1/8th

Re: a couple of spectacular clutch explosions

great In car shot, but the you tube comments make me want to punch people in the face!
    Reading , Pa
    Good Guys rodders rep.
    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto
      great In car shot, but the you tube comments make me want to punch people in the face!
      Well, those posters didn't know what they were talking about, obviously, and I have to say I don't even know what I'm SEEING.

Let me me go back 40 years....the clutch is inside the bell housing, right? In the case of the top fuel ride, why did it go off like the 4th of July? I mean, I have no clue about car stuff, and I woulda thought when a clutch fails it goes BANG and you just stop.

That's all new news to me.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by peewee
        Originally posted by ls7gto
        Well, those posters didn't know what they were talking about, obviously, and I have to say I don't even know what I'm SEEING.

Let me me go back 40 years....the clutch is inside the bell housing, right? In the case of the top fuel ride, why did it go off like the 4th of July? I mean, I have no clue about car stuff, and I woulda thought when a clutch fails it goes BANG and you just stop.

That's all new news to me.
        I have heard something about the idle was set too high and that overheat the clutch before staging.
        http://www.youtube.com/Jobergg

Comment

Did you ever see that guy on fordmuscle who posted his clutch explosion? The guy had a 69 Mach1 that had a built 351W IIRC. He did a 7200 RPM clutch dump with a stock cast iron factory flywheel :o It really tore up the car. The engine, trans, headers, steering box and a bunch of damage to the body. I've tried to find it but haven't found it, I guess he took it down.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I still ponder the invisibles.. if that is what is seen when stuff flies.

the wobbles must be an energy on its own in the invisibles.

the second vid is incredible. :o
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Nobody answered my question about bright sparks and flames and stuff flying everywhere. I don't understand why a clutch failure can generate that much pyrotechnics stuff.

Comment

Hence, the reason the Impy is getting a scattershield. I'd like to keep all four of my appendiges. Thank you.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

All FOUR :o?! Whoops!!!!......the Mind was starting to wander a bit there............ : :o ;D!! ~J/W.

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Whisperer
                    All FOUR :o?! Whoops!!!!......the Mind was starting to wander a bit there............ : :o ;D!! ~J/W.
                    Okay, J/W, why does it make sparks and giant fireworks when a clutch fails on a top fuel car? Nobody wants to answer my question because I'm ignorant and really actually seriously don't know. I'm trying to learn....

dumbdub

Comment

You can find your mind in the gutter. ;D

Okay, J/W, why does it make sparks and giant fireworks when a clutch fails on a top fuel car? Nobody wants to answer my question because I'm ignorant and really actually seriously don't know. I'm trying to learn....

dumbdub
                      Metal is cutting through metal just like a cut off wheel, grinder, etc. Sparks.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Okay, thanks Rebel! That makes sense.

I can sleep now.

dubbersaurus

Comment

Nobody answered my question about bright sparks and flames and stuff flying everywhere. I don't understand why a clutch failure can generate that much pyrotechnics stuff.
                          OK P I'll take a stab at this. On a fuel race car the clutch and pressure plate is a multiple component type deal.
                          There are multiple clutch plates and pressure plate surfaces sandwiched together. And I'm not sure how many cause I don't own one or work on one. But the damn thing is as hot as hell when engaging like hot enough to melt shit and cause fires. Plus its spinning like mad, 10,000rpm or better. Now its designed to slip some at a predetermined rate before it fully engages and locks up as not to overpower the tires. Now if one does explode it is likely little bit by little bit disintegrating hot and burning fragments. Then again I'm pretty sure one can just blow up with one big bang, just depends on the circumstances of its destruction.

You really need to go to a NHRA race.

Comment

I slipped the clutch in my first truck untill it exploded tore stuff up real bad
                            bruised and cut both heals/feet it even killed the new roadmaster tape player
                            I was gonna kill it (the clutch) because I was mad it was getting worn out and dad wouldnt
                            help me change it untill it quit pulling the truck : : :P I was a STUPID kid
                            I could have been crippled.
                            COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman71
                              a STUPID kid
                              Oldsman, taken out of context of course, isn't that a redundant statement?

Comment

Working...
                              X