What to look for.. purchasing 05 Trailblazer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to look for.. purchasing 05 Trailblazer

My wife and I. Are looking at an 05 trailblazer lt w/105k on it. Seems priced right. Seems like a good choice for a family car. So what are things I should be looking for. I have found a couple things that aren't deal breakers. But what are some of the common problems with these?
    Jeff
    Follow My Build

Re: What to look for.. purchasing 05 Trailblazer

i drove one a 1/2 mile turned around and drove it back, I hated the ride, blindspots, and the way it wobbled going done the road. It was brand newish with just a few thousand miles on it
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Since I work at an Auto Parts store, I deal with those cars every few weeks.

Big Things on the List:
      They go though Rotors/Pads
      Bad Wheel Bearings{Usually The Rears Go First, no idea why}
      Changing the Temp Sensor requires taking out the Alternator to get access to that.
      The DRL go out on them alot and the connectors I have seen burn up

On another Note, Newer GM's keep going though Headlights. I have no clue why though.
      "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

a ss with an ls3 should work out nice. :P
        Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

The tailgate seems to rot out from what ive seen here in the land of salt.
          My friend has an SS that he likes, says its good and reliable.

Comment

My wife has an '03.

It's a PITA to change the oil. GM put the oil filter above a crossmember. as a "help" they incorporated a trough for the oil to run when you pull the filter. No matter what it makes a mess when changing the oil. I gave up and let her get it done at the dealer.

Just recently had to replace stereo speakers that shorted out.

Ditto on wheel bearings (front), and pads and rotors.

Gas mileage isn't the greatest. 16ish to maybe 19 on a great day.

But, looking at the big picture, it hasn't been too bad of a truck. Have even considered the idea of getting another one.
            sigpicJohn Castelli
            www.gonecruisincarclub.com

Comment

common things that i can think off that we seem to sell at a gm dealership
              --low beam headlights (replace the socket at the same time will be burnt (buy a cheap socket works fine))
              --thermostats--kinda a pain to do
              --secondary air injection valves-- not that often
              --brakes -- previously mentioned
              --kinda a goofy 4wd setup-- we have a couple that seem to burn these up relgiously others not at all
              --cam solenoids and actuators

bear in mind that i see these more major things because i work at a dealership and they can be alittle more trying or trival to diag. everytime you turn around there is a trailblazer around here so even though we see quite a few, i see many more pickups and impalas.

my opinion, will never own one, not a fan. i went full size with a tahoe. one of my parts dept employees owns one and loves it, so there is a few honest words and opinions for you.

Comment

better than most other suvs

Comment

I can whip those t stats out in book time

biggest problems are water getting into #5 coil causing p0300 , thermostats , electric fan clutches staying on , front pinion seals leak , ft axle actuators , window regulators , broken a c doors in the heater box , ft axle seals , ignition switch shorting out ign 1 circuit

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR
                    i drove one a 1/2 mile turned around and drove it back, I hated the ride, blindspots, and the way it wobbled going done the road. It was brand newish with just a few thousand miles on it
                    I have a relative that did that. Maybe not a freak by chance thing..

she went as far as to notice, my little 80s sube wagon had more room inside. ???

I could not believe it until I sat inside.

there is a 2wd local, a 4.3 on its way out... I see it as a s10 v8 type swap with a full chassis. They'll be decent framed projects eventually.
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

4.3 is not a trail blazer , old s10s were quite horrible

Comment

an SS is a blast to drive

Comment

I guess I should clarify that the whole "family" vehicle is relatively a new term to me. But I have 9 months to figure it out as we are expecting.

The better half doesn't want a full size (tahoe) and likes the trail blazer. I think I can live with most of the issues stated above and could probably do most of the work my self. And have a couple mechanic friends that could help out for a case of beer.

Gas Mileage -its just a tad under what our Malipu is getting now(its sick, VERY SICK) and I can handle that as we probably wont be putting tons of miles on with a new born.
                          I like the 4x4 because my wife works very early in the morning and in the winter sometimes they don't plow that early. I will probably use the 4x4 in the fall hunting as well.
                          There is room for our basset hound and kennel in the back. I can sit comfortably in the back seat so average sized people should have plenty of room.
                          Sorry if it sounds like I am thinking out loud, Just trying to make sure its all good before I sign on the line :o
                          Jeff
                          Follow My Build

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead1218

It's a PITA to change the oil. GM put the oil filter above a crossmember. as a "help" they incorporated a trough for the oil to run when you pull the filter. No matter what it makes a mess when changing the oil. I gave up and let her get it done at the dealer.

Canyons, Colorados and H3s suffer the same problem.... do what I do, punch a hole in the filter at the top and about 1/4" from the bottom aimed at the front of that cute little spout, let it drain along with the oil from the pan.... wrap a rag around the bottom when it just drips.... twist off normally... much cleaner.

oh yeah, and the 5.3 SS option would do nicely (and get roughly the same mileage).
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                            X