Temp. range of undercoating or herculiner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp. range of undercoating or herculiner

I'm trying to find the temp range of rubberized undercoating or herculiner or maybe por15. I fixed the strut towers on my car and wanted coat the lower parts or the entire inner fenders. The lower parts are within inches of the headers tho. Has anyone used anything like this? I did the bottom of my car years ago with a rubberized undercoating and it still looks like new-even around the exhaust. But I figure it has alot more airflow there too. Ideas?

Re: Temp. range of undercoating or herculiner

I had herculiner on my jeep. It was great, but was just a little bit tacky during a hot summer day. So if 100 degrees does that, im guessing it would start to melt if its right by the headers. but i could be wrong.

Comment

POR15 is prolly the bust stuff out there, alot of my vw friends use it on the pans for thier cars, I even heard of some of the guys spraying straight over rust and not having issues with it with no prep work
      Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I am in the land of anti chemist...

por15 is as silly as all in one acrylic shine and go to the color of your car.
        :

some interesting outcomes after a headgasket that spewed thermite/hydrazine type stuff...

at carquest they got an undercoat that did what it said, and needs one heck of a hot day to apply it...rea don the can 815F ignition point. good stuff.. and it does not like dirty metal to seat...flux from mig wire etc.

the best yet has been real urethane with medium hardener baked in with heat gun to specific areas..for me it was firewall and strut towers. As it turns out air getting in is the fire hazard..so claims of urethane at a limit of 300F is actually alot higher without actual ignition/fire aimed right at it. Even then, the firewall took a direct hit with a crazy gasket fail that kept firing cylinders, compression straight out the back with chemicals included....cleaned it off, no errors at all.

I still ponder to this day....ALL paints revolving around some two part urethane with a success or not, owner finds out eventually.

no catalyst? paint no good.

the brand I went with was xtreme 2 or something spelled like that...A slow hardener is a real wionner, but that needs alot of time, and then a final bake to really get it in there. I have even returned metals to shape with the bake and directins with this urethane. A base coat based on urethane, with activator/catalyst/thinner is a great layer to put underneath it of course.

I got so sick of paint until I talked with a person the makes up the colors.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I'd use the por15 near the headers, but the bedliner might cut down on road noise.
          wheel side liner, engine side por15

Comment

I got some more info after digging a bit and e-mailed herculiner. Says Herculiner is heat resistant up to 254*F. Did not fint the rating for POR15, however did see on their website that they make some hight temp paint. Black Velvet is rated to 1200*F and Factory Manifold Grey andPOR20 rated to 1400*. Rust-Oleum is rated to only 90*F. 3M and Permatex rated to 200*F. Think I will use the Black Velvet on the lower parts, mainly the frame rails and 3m or Permatex on the rest.

Comment

diamond plate

Comment

I've used a variety of Por15 products over the years and have never had one fail or not perform as promised.

Plus, that crap is so easy to apply it is unbelievable. Even brushing it on works great. It looks like hammered crap and then just flows out. It really is awesome.
                "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Working...
                X