351 swap questions :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 351 swap questions :)

now i know i change my mind a lot on what i want to do with my cars, but this opportunity might be too good to pass up.
    i found a 1990 crown vic police car with a 351w in it. ;D

IIRC i should be able to use the oil pan, drivers side acc. drive and balancer with this motor in my fox, correct?

and if i bought this car what else would i need to buy? just a flywheel, headers and intake manifold?

where would i get the correct flywheel for it? out of a 351-powered 5spd truck? is there an aftermarket one? or could i get one from the ford dealership?

and is there a company that makes shorty headers for a 351 swap so i could keep my h-pipe that is already on the car?

also, would this motor be roller-ready? or no?

thanks for answering all my questions so far, guys ;D

Re: 351 swap questions

Not sure on the oil pan. As far as I could learn, the only other factory pan that lets a 351 bolt into a FOX is one from a 351 in a van.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

The oil pan is different from the 5.0, it's wider and the bearing caps are larger. As Stiney said, I believe the van and I think the late 80's Crown Vic cop car fits. Not too sure about the serpentine stuff as the 351W is taller and wider. Probably some sort of kit to adapt. The 351W has a 28 oz unbalance, not the 50 oz unbalance of the 5.0. The 28 oz is the same as pre 82 5.0, 302 & 289. You'll need to get correct 28 oz balancer and flywheel. You'll run into some problems with the exhaust since it's narrower and lower attachment points to the manifolds
      Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano
        The oil pan is different from the 5.0, it's wider and the bearing caps are larger.
        i know that haha. i was wondering if with the pan already on the 351 i could drop the 351 into the fox.

As Stiney said, I believe the van and I think the late 80's Crown Vic cop car fits.
        the car is a 1990 351 powered cop car. so it should all be the same as a late-80's one. :-X

Not too sure about the serpentine stuff as the 351W is taller and wider. Probably some sort of kit to adapt. The 351W has a 28 oz unbalance, not the 50 oz unbalance of the 5.0. The 28 oz is the same as pre 82 5.0, 302 & 289. You'll need to get correct 28 oz balancer and flywheel. You'll run into some problems with the exhaust since it's narrower and lower attachment points to the manifolds

Comment

Originally posted by 1988montecarloss
          now i know i change my mind a lot on what i want to do with my cars, but this opportunity might be too good to pass up.
          i found a 1990 crown vic police car with a 351w in it. ;D

IIRC i should be able to use the oil pan, drivers side acc. drive and balancer with this motor in my fox, correct?

and if i bought this car what else would i need to buy? just a flywheel, headers and intake manifold?

where would i get the correct flywheel for it? out of a 351-powered 5spd truck? is there an aftermarket one? or could i get one from the ford dealership?

and is there a company that makes shorty headers for a 351 swap so i could keep my h-pipe that is already on the car?

also, would this motor be roller-ready? or no?

thanks for answering all my questions so far, guys ;D

anybody?

Comment

Send Dan a message he has a 351 fox. Mm&ff did one not long ago. Street-smart windsor
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Bob/'Jew lighting' would know...... ;D. He's godda the Brains........... ;). ~J/W.

Comment

ive been researching this pretty much all night and i think ill just go with the GT40P/302 combo like i originally planned with some spray on it for now ;D

and ill just drive the car like that and piece together a 351 swap as time/money allows :P

Comment

If you're going to the trouble of a 351W swap, save up to do a 393 stroker or something similar. Otherwise it is easier to just stay with the 8.2" deck 302 for now ...

cheers
                  Ed N.
                  Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                  07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                  88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by fast Ed
                    If you're going to the trouble of a 351W swap, save up to do a 393 stroker or something similar. Otherwise it is easier to just stay with the 8.2" deck 302 for now ...

cheers
                    Ed N.
                    thats probably what ill end up doing, i just hope i can get the car into the 12's naturally aspirated with the 302, thats my goal

Comment

STROKE IT OR DONT DO IT AT ALL!

I would punch the old cop car W out to a 408 with a DSS or similar stroker kit... or don't bother.

I support your decision to keep with the 302 based engine for now. If nothing else - the intakes are a lot more common and therefore cheap.

I sold a 396 stroked windsor for $4200 - to give you an idea of what you can sink into those....
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

351 blocks are a lot stronger.. but have the same sucky heads as 302 frm the factory. You'd need an intake, the pan may work, the headers can be bought anywhere long or short cheap old summit junk, Mac's, Hookers, or Kooks, the 40p won't be enough head for a decent 351 and would need the head bolts bored to 1/2 instead of 7/16. You want better heads, a LOT better heads.

The flex plate from a early 302 would probably work and it will eat your t5 with any missed shift. Plan on a tremec or better.

It would be extremely unlikely that it is roller ready but the conversion is easy. Your cam needs to be a "retrofit" roller cam, I think the base is a little smaller to keep the lifters in the right spot. The lifters are the same as the 302, the spider needs a couple of inserts drilled and inserted into the block.

If the a/c and p/s pump are on the drivers side, you're in business.

Try putting the heads you have on first.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988montecarloss

thats probably what ill end up doing, i just hope i can get the car into the 12's naturally aspirated with the 302, thats my goal
                          That shouldn't be too much trouble. My 87 ran 13.8 all day long with not much more than somewhat grippy tires, a K&N cone filter, advanced timing, a short serp. belt, and front stab. bar removed to help the launch. That was with stock exhaust, and stock 3.08 gears.

You will find with a bit of power that your biggest obstacle to lower times will be traction.

cheers
                          Ed N.

Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                          07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                          88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Working...
                          X