US Government - attack on Nissan Skyline owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Government - attack on Nissan Skyline owners

Guys, normally I am not going to lean an ear towards the tuner market, but this was something I had forwarded to me.
    http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/bre...ne-owners.html

I am pretty disgusted by this. >

Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Re: US Government - attack on Nissan Skyline owners

why, it's a black market car,,
    just like anyother imported illegally car.
    non story

Comment

but in most cases the cars where not. they where gone through all the proper chanles the reason why they are "black" market was the company that was hired to make sure the cars would be ok for US roads cheaped out and only crash tested one car the R33. luckaly the R32 is so old now it does not matter but the R34 still falls in the 25 year gap

Comment

if it wasn't updated at the dock and inspected and got papers,
        oh well
        My dad worked adding safety crap to cars that came through boston for years,, adding safety bars in the doors, lights,etc
        no papers, they take it.. can't title it.. so , plates are illegal ,
        no emission test for that drivetrain...

the government wants it piece,, they got bypassed,,,
        they don't play nice when that happens..

Comment

VOTE , don't forget

Comment

The cars are a menace, it's good we have Uncle watching out for us.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

so let me get this straight, as long as I hire someone (in good faith) to murder someone, I'm not responsible for murder. Yep, they have a claim against the *gasp* bankrupt company - so flippin what? It's not the government's fault that you bought from crooks. There's a court case where a guy bought a taxi cab from a thief (may have been once or twice removed), eventually they found out the car was stolen and it was returned to the owner. The owner who lost the car sued to be repaid (after all, he's a victim too) - too bad says the Court, you should have checked them and the car out. How about when you folks celebrate the return of a collector car? the person possession the car gets nothing, and could actually be sued by the victim for any damages to the car. Most don't but it's the victim's right to do so.

stupid logic.

Want to get an idea of the real reason why? Try importing an American car to Japan (anything older then 5 years old). This really is payback. Just like the law in Canada preventing people who've received DUIs from entering their country... Just like countless other laws.
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Crooked company or not the government had to sign off on those vehicles. My dad has imported a couple of Benz's over the years, the cars came off the boat went to a company that made them meet NHTSA safety standards and then they were "Inspected" and "signed off" by a government agent to verify that the car was safe to drive on US roads. So in the case of these Skylines someone at the government wasn't doing their job.

Also what's stupid is if the car is over 25 years old, they don't care and would not seize it. So why is a car that is 25 years old ok to drive on our roads??

Sounds like a little discrimination is in order. ;)

Comment

Skylines are "unsafe" but rat rods built from old road signs and bailing wire are ok? :
                  Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                    The cars are a menace, it's good we have Uncle watching out for us.

+1

even proper imported, the owners are tortured by j-tin of the 80s stretched even thinner, just to claim performance.

I have had enough for a long time humoring an 80s subaru. I would love to know who let that chassis in. ???
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C
                      Skylines are "unsafe" but rat rods built from old road signs and bailing wire are ok? :
                      Made in America = special treatment. ;)

Comment

I am not going to argue if it's safe or not. The ratrod deal is a perfect example. I've heard one-too-many horror stories about hot rodders in state like Viginia and the nazi-esq tatics on bumper type, height, etc for like the 4x4 crowd.

The skyline deal, I guess I take offence, because if you followed the law, and the car was legal, was updated to meet the requirements, and the gubment takes it...becuase some local official think's the car is the bane of the hiway...I don't get it.
                        If that was the case, half the rolling stock in America should be removed from service because of surface rust {IE : My '79 F150}
                        I respect if rules were not followed, but instead of nazi-ism and just YA-voll take the SOB from a guy who bought in good faith, allow him to have the car corrected to meet standards, or arrange selling of it through legal channels.

Not just Sorry sucker and YANK with a roll back.

Personally, if I knew the gubment was going to take the sucker, and sell it off, I'd out of spite burn the SOB to the ground and there you go. Of course, then you are impeading Uncle Sam and probably get jailtime for tampering.
                        :
                        Andrew
                        1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                        2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

OK, I am probably among a minority in this crowd, but I want a Skyline in a bad way.

But that oddity aside, why can the government seize the car? I can see them being able to not allow it to be registered, but can someone explain why its against the law to OWN the car?

Also, what would prevent me from importing a skyline body and driveline separately, (Both would fall under the realm of "car parts", and not be governed as importing a car), and then assembling them and registering it as a homebuilt car or just owning it for off road purposes?

Comment

The cars are a menace. Watch F&F if you don't know why they are a menace.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
                              so let me get this straight, as long as I hire someone (in good faith) to murder someone, I'm not responsible for murder. Yep, they have a claim against the *gasp* bankrupt company - so flippin what? It's not the government's fault that you bought from crooks. There's a court case where a guy bought a taxi cab from a thief (may have been once or twice removed), eventually they found out the car was stolen and it was returned to the owner. The owner who lost the car sued to be repaid (after all, he's a victim too) - too bad says the Court, you should have checked them and the car out. How about when you folks celebrate the return of a collector car? the person possession the car gets nothing, and could actually be sued by the victim for any damages to the car. Most don't but it's the victim's right to do so.

stupid logic.

Want to get an idea of the real reason why? Try importing an American car to Japan (anything older then 5 years old). This really is payback. Just like the law in Canada preventing people who've received DUIs from entering their country... Just like countless other laws.
                              sorry, if the nissan was updated he'd have paperwork,,
                              and on to the taxi.. well.. um.. it is tuff crap when you have a stolen car returned to owner,, but the guy with the taxi, if he didn't fudge the paperwork at the RMV , he can sue them for not catching it, then (title transfer)
                              as far as old cars, same crap.. run a vin check.. not hard to do.. you got no one but yourself to blame if you don't and they take it because that vin was listed as stolen..

if it wasn't a big deal,, g.m. would import holdens for anyone that want one,, but because the epa didn't get money for emission test and cert. and the hyway admin didn't crash test them(costly) they are not sold here,,
                              nissan could sell then here, they choose not to..
                              mostlikely because their 300z doesn't sell. and would take sales from it..
                              I'd like to know how they got a title for it..(skyline)
                              unless they fudged the paperwork,,

Comment

Working...
                              X