What is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this?

I was out playing a tag game and came up with this at an old farm house here in Alabama... it was very well worn and in an obvious location... you can even see some recent wear marks on it...

You guys got any thoughts???

Re: What is this?

Is that something they use to collect rain water? I have seen something like that where they have it connected to the gutter to collect rain water but I have no idea just taking a stab in the dark.
    What ever it is has some sort of angle built into it.
    Jeff
    Follow My Build

Comment

I took the liberty of adding some visual aids to the photo.

Note the unparallel orientation of the wooden blocks that are fixed to the planks and the rusty witness marks indicating this "platform" has been secured to some type of steel frame.

Note the board standing up to the left of the photo and the similar sized hole to that in the lower part of the "platform." Do these holes correspond to each other?

Due to the angled orientation of the blocks, and the fact there are attached retaining blocks that are probably used to secure this device to a frame, I am going to guess this platform is used to extend the capacity of the front of a trailer in front of the bed, OR possibly mount to the top of a 3-point hitch on the back of a tractor.

Here's what a 3-point hitch looks like. See the similarity in the angle between the hitch and the slots on the platform?

Just a couple guesses as I am not completely sure. I hope someone can shed some light.
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Some sort of steel bender or the door to the menstral shed.
        Busted down to regular Bangshifter

Comment

I'm thinking Ron got it. The spacing and angle look right for a 3 point hitch and this would make a 3 point flatbed. No knowledge - just guessin'.

Dan

Comment

I'm going to guess it is some kind of an alignment tool but alignment for what I don't have a clue, probably a poor guess! Hey Keith, didn't you see the posted "Keep Out" sign?

Comment

I think Ron's onto something.
              I'm probably wrong

Comment

It's just His 'inner Redneck' comming out.......... ;D. ~J/W.

Comment

If you put that on the tractor it would probably be in the shed next to the tractor not hung up on the wall outside.

Comment

Here's a couple more pictures to wet your whistle....

Phil.... I stayed out of there... Really I did...( sorta )... Okay Look.... oh hell never mind...

: footnote....

It's not what you make... but how you spend it.... ( picture title )

This is the Peanut we play motorcycle tag with ...

One of my favorite pictures of the new Bike.... ( the damn tag put the peanut down a dirt road on a wet and rainy day... fun ride on slick Alabama red clay....)

Comment

By the way Ron..... I think your exactly right...though I think it went to the hitch on something that was stable like a wagon as it's not worn left to right ( 3 point hitches sway pretty good )...

it was also in the Carport sorta area of the house....

Y'all notice the dog run in the middle of the dump?

Comment

its to hang the deer from while your skinning it.....
                        Never kick a fresh Turd on a hot day.....Harry S Truman

Comment

Fred...that is a really good thought...however it doesn't match the wear witnessed in the worn area right of the hold downs

Comment

All I know is I want the honda , doesnt matter which one, but Im really diggin the 350!

Keith, explain the peanut game ?
                            Reading , Pa
                            Good Guys rodders rep.
                            "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                            Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

I'm pretty sure its not made for the rear of a tractor.The space between where the three point arms would go are too narrow to fit. The rust marks are at the widest part are at the wrong place to where the arms would be. If it were a rear carrier it's quite small and having no third link-meaning it wouldn't stay parallel to the ground when lifted. What ever was on it would fall off the front when lifted. In two point hitch system-the arms are parallel. I'm thinking it is some sort of jig used to build several of something-no idea what that'd be. It might be a flat carrier mounted on something else-like a golf cart or atv to have a larger rack or package shelf. Good pics, the bikes look cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X