5.3 monte questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.3 monte questions

i found a wrecked 2002 silverado on craigslist. and the guy is selling the motor out of it, which is a 5.3. could i buy the motor, wiring harness and ecu and put it in the monte and just run the motor stock with the stock ecu and wiring harness?

it shouldnt be that hard to wire up, because everything should be there right?

i know i'd need mounts, pipes to go from the exhaust manifolds (for now) to where my longtubes used to be hooked up and put some o2 sensor bungs in the exhaust so i can run the o2 sensors. but what else would i need?

specifically what would i need regarding the transmission? could i use the stock flywheel from the 5.3 to mate it to the 200r4? or would i have to use the stock flywheel from the 350 in the car now on the 5.3? or would i need an aftermarket piece?

and would i need to buy a new oil pan to fit it in the monte, or would the truck pan work? and if i do need a new pan, what do i need to get one from?

Re: 5.3 monte questions

I did a swap on one, but older v8.. plucked an oil pan off another older design small block, early 80s chevy pickup.

the 5.3 is a worker, not the cammed racer...

it keeps a good fire to bend the monte. ???

those chassis are not strong, I had three of them. One went 5.7, and one was the real ho 305 of 1984.

both had some serious problems. squaring up the links in the back is a good start, and there is a pathetically weak error in the tranny mount spanning the floor.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

no idea on the oil pan but this I do know on the flexplate. The Gen III/IV engines have close to the same bolt pattern (missing a bolt) but the flywheel depths are different. You will need a spacer like they used when pairing the Gen III with the 4L80E in trucks. Also I think the bolt patterns are different for the flexplate to converter, however I do believe that's nothing a dremel couldn't fix.

Aren't you also going to need to get a Turbo6 fuel pump if not the whole tank to go from TBI fuel pressures to SEFI pressures?

Watching because this is good info to have.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

oil pan is a no go iirc

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
          no idea on the oil pan but this I do know on the flexplate. The Gen III/IV engines have close to the same bolt pattern (missing a bolt) but the flywheel depths are different. You will need a spacer like they used when pairing the Gen III with the 4L80E in trucks. Also I think the bolt patterns are different for the flexplate to converter, however I do believe that's nothing a dremel couldn't fix.

Aren't you also going to need to get a Turbo6 fuel pump if not the whole tank to go from TBI fuel pressures to SEFI pressures?

Watching because this is good info to have.
          yup, forgot all about the fuel pump. the monte ran a mechanical pump on the old 350. any idea what kind of fuel pump i would need to run efi? would a walbro 255lph work?

Comment

you need 55 psi

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
              you need 55 psi
              ok then, what pump should i use?

Comment

A walbro will be great....
                200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Check and see what the community is doing but I remember someone (DIY-EFI maybe) telling me that a 454SS pickup pump was cross compatable.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenschnell
                    A walbro will be great....
                    thanks

also, what should i do regarding the front accessories? will i be able to use the ones from the truck already on the 5.3? or will i have clearance issues?

Comment

forgot to ask, do you know if i should use the flywheel from the 5.3 with the spacer or the flywheel from the 350 with the spacer? or would it not make a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by 1988montecarloss
                        forgot to ask, do you know if i should use the flywheel from the 5.3 with the spacer or the flywheel from the 350 with the spacer? or would it not make a difference?
                        I believe it's the spacer with a slightly modified 5.3 flexplate that works. Having never done this I'm going off of all these swap stories I've read over the years.
                        Central TEXAS Sleeper
                        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by 1988montecarloss
                          I believe it's the spacer with a slightly modified 5.3 flexplate that works. Having never done this I'm going off of all these swap stories I've read over the years.
                          alright, thanks

Comment

Check and see what the community is doing but I remember someone (DIY-EFI maybe) telling me that a 454SS pickup pump was cross compatable.
                            a tbi pump will not work

Comment

Originally posted by Tazracing
                              a tbi pump will not work
                              i figured it wouldn't, ill probably just go with a walbro 255lph.

can anybody give me some advice on the ecu/wiring?

Comment

Working...
                              X