5.3 monte questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5.3 monte questions

get the harness out of the wreck [ecm too , and 4L60e trans from a 2wd truck or 93 up b body ]

Comment

refresh my memory, cause im not quite sure what year but, does that truck have a throttle cable or is it drive by wire? if drive by wire, make sure you grab the gas pedal as well. gm makes a oil pan kit for the ls motors, according to them it should fit most 1955-1995 gm front engine, RWD v-8 cars. comes complete with pan, gasket, dipstick, tube, pickup tube, and all hardware. pt number 19212593.

Comment

Originally posted by IOWA552SLOW
        refresh my memory, cause im not quite sure what year but, does that truck have a throttle cable or is it drive by wire? if drive by wire, make sure you grab the gas pedal as well. gm makes a oil pan kit for the ls motors, according to them it should fit most 1955-1995 gm front engine, RWD v-8 cars. comes complete with pan, gasket, dipstick, tube, pickup tube, and all hardware. pt number 19212593.
        02 is cable driven

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
        get the harness out of the wreck [ecm too , and 4L60e trans from a 2wd truck or 93 up b body ]
        i planned on getting the ecu and harness. the truck is 4wd though, so the trans wont work.

could i just get it to work with the 200r4? or would i have to mess with the ecu/harness?

Comment

change the output shaft and tailshaft housing , those 4 l 60e ain't too bad
          the intermediate assembly 3-4 is a bitch to get in and out heavy work

Comment

i just received an email back from the guy asking what was left and the trans has been spoken for, so a 4l60e wont be happening. i really want to just get it running with the 200r4 so i can drive it and keep the cost of the swap down since it'll be getting a th400 once the turbo gets put on it anyway

Comment

I think it would be BETTER to get the WHOLE PACKAGE,Engine & 'Box,after all,that's what you wanted,right? Right now,combos are fairly common,so,it might be worth your while to keep lookin' for a COMPLETE Engine/'Box set. ~J/W.

Comment

no, i dont want to run a 4l60e. i would if i could get the motor and trans cheap enough. but since all the magazines started posting articles on how awesome the LS motors are. the prices of them have more than doubled since when i first wanted to put a 5.3 in it :'(

just for shits an giggles ;D, if i ran the 4l60e would i have to get the ecu retuned? somebody on another forum was teling me if i run the 200r4 id have to get the ecu retuned and id like to avoid doing that since when the car gets a turbo ill run a megasquirt on it.

also, if i ran the 4l60e would i have to get the driveshaft shortened? or is it the same length as the 200r4? (hoping to get lucky here ;D )

Comment

one thing , if you have throttle actuated control ..where does the tv cable go ?

Comment

If you ran a 60e you wouldn't have to get it retuned if you got the same rear gears, but you'll want to. A good tune builds alot more power, mpg and driveability... I would definitely try to find a 60e.... malibu racing has a ls sway section and ls1tech has a swap page. check them out...

get some f-body manifolds, as the trucks will get in the way... Find someone who swapped to headers and get them cheap. Sell the 200-4r and buy a 4l60e. It'll work like it should....

get the gas pedal and cable from the truck aswell.... A walbro 255lph is perfect
                    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

here is the`fly wheel info

Comment

the f body manifolds flow very well

Comment

The truck manifolds flow very well also. The 200-r4 will work with an adapter for the flywheel but you still have the tv cable issue. The oil pan is another issue alltogether. Good luck is all I can say. The truck pan hangs too low. Holley and mast motorsports are supposed to have a new pan out anytime but expect it to be pricey. Then there is the intake manifold to consider. The 5.3 manifold is quiet a bit taller than the ls style intake, so expect hood clearance issues. Last, is the harness and ecu to think about, such as rewiring and reprogramming. Look at ls1tech.com for all the info you need and good luck.

Comment

Working...
                          X