Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boy builds a Cut-Away Hemi transmission (with pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boy builds a Cut-Away Hemi transmission (with pictures)

One of the great things about having kids is being able to teach them stuff and see them take it and run with it. I had an opportunity come up for for that last month, and am pretty proud of how my son did.
    Each kid in my son Cams science class got an assignment into give a presentation on some various mechanical principle. Cam was picked to do one on gears. Yehaw! Right up my alley. I suggested that he build a cut-away of a 4 speed transmission, and demonstrate to the class the principles of gear reduction and the flow of power through the gear box.
    He learned alot, now he really understands how the power flows thru the trans, how the gears shift, plus he learned more about setting up and running the Bridgeport verticle mill.

I dug through my pile of spare tranny parts, and found a 23 spline, small bearing iron case that I was willing to sacrifice, and a set of pro-shifted Hemi gears that I was willing to donate on a temporary basis, (till I blow up another tranny and need them back) :o

First off, he had to learn how to securely mount the case in the mill, select a suitable end mill, mount it in the collet, and select the proper RPM.

Then he had to get the feel of the proper feed rate for cutting the iron.

and cut away the top of the case.

Then he repositioned the case

to cut away the side

Once the cutting was done, he used a flap wheel on a die grinder to debur the cuts. He liked the way the flap wheel shined up the metal, and decided to polish the whole case with it in lieu of painting it.

Then I guided him through the assembly process

I don't think he's ready to start assembling trannys on his own yet, but he's getting the hang of if. I'd explain a task, like assembling the needle bearings into the cluster gear bore, then walk away and he'd get it done alright.

Once it was all done, he mounted it on a wood stand and put a hurst shifter on it.

He had to get help carrying it into school, it still weighs about 80 - 90 pounds. After he gave his presentatin, his teacher actually clapped. They kept it there on display for a couple weeks, so he just brought it home friday. I think I'll keep it on display in the shop. ;D

Re: Boy builds a Cut-Away Hemi transmission (with pictures)

That's awesome. Can you be my Dad too?? ;D
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Very cool!! Good project!
      Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

fun! but I was expecting something like this

(at the local high school auto shop)

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Squirrel! A stinky, drippy, oily, fluid coupling in my shop??? :o Not going to happen! :D

Randal, adoption is possible, do you clean shops and mow lawns? ??? ;D

:P

Comment

Neither. Is that a problem? ;D
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

That's pretty cool,Joel! But didin't you have any 'old' Dusey Gearboxes laying around that you could've used INSTEAD :o ;D? ~J/W.

Comment

This is beyond cool and #1 on the most Bang Shift approved activity there is. Teaching a Kid how to use tools!and a Mill to boot! Assemble a 4 speed box!

Look at his eyes while working that mill!

Comment

HOW COOL!!!
                  Now can he explain it to me? :-\
                  That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

WOW!!! Your son did a man size job. You should buy him a case of beer soda for his fantastic project. I know the real reason behind this. You just want some one small to be able to crawl under your car and repair the trans real quick at the strip ;D
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Thanks for all the reply's!

J/W :D No spare duesey cases

Lorenswife, you'd have to come over for that. Neither on of us likes to type that much. :P

Husky, Thats it! He needs to learn to be able to tear down and re-assemble a trans between passes, in the pits on a 100 degree august day. ;D

Comment

Joel, or is that a new light weight 4 speed for FAST?
                        Tom
                        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Congrats Cams and Joel, great jobs learning and teaching. How old is Cams? Do you have a picture of the completed project?

Comment

Update:

Cam decided to enter the transmission in the county fair as a 4H project. It was still on the wood stand, sitting on the floor, but it won him a trip to the Minnesota State Fair. At that point, he decided a better display was needed. So he ditched the wood stand and made a front mount out of aluminum, plus added 2 long bolts to hold up the rear of it. Then he mounted it on a roller cart that he stole from under my brake lathe that he painted up nice. He also mounted a crank on the input shaft, and a pointer on the output, so he could demonstrate to folks how the different gears change the relationship between the input and output, and show them how the power flows thru the trans in each different gear.

He ended up getting a blue ribbon for it, which is an accomplishement he can be proud of.

Comment

That is AWESOME !!!!! Great job Cam
                              200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
                              Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

Working...
                              X