Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you commute by bicyclist and be a car junkie at the same time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can you commute by bicyclist and be a car junkie at the same time?

Originally posted by IndyShiftman
    Originally posted by HoosierGTA
    Monster , cool cruzer , I would like one like that but , with mountain bike gears. I've gotten a little spoiled.
    This fri. is ride your bike to work day at least around Indy, So I plan on doing the 60mile round trip.

Indyshiftman - Be at work monday I'll probably swing by around 3:15 - 3:25 for a meet and greet for about 5min or so ( don't want you to be a bad example to your workers ) If thats O.K . Seen the Name in the trans problem thread .
    I didn't see this post till now. I guess you didn't make it.
    Did you happen to see me on the channel 6 news last Friday? Actually I was on 6 in the early evening and then on Fox59 at 10. My service manager was on channel 8 at 11. This was about the catalytic converter thefts we had recently
    Sorry I missed you on the news ,was at a school thing for my son (ok I'll admitt it was choir ) but your not so lucky yet, I was talking about this friday! (But I here its going to rain and I don't like being cold or wet )

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
      I don't have anything as fancy as most of you, but being the nostalgic sort of guy, I have a piece of vintage iron.
      Late '60's Western Auto Galaxy Flyer ...

The ole "Flyer" is stripped down of course. I put on a higher tooth front gear, whitewall balloon tires with new tubes (beach cruising during Spring Break is a must see!), a new o-ring chain and rear sprocket, I repacked the crank and re-trued the wheels.

Thanks to Aunt Hazel who gave me the bike for free.

;D
      I had to dig out pics of my bike after seeing Monster's. I bought this for $30 at a yard sale a few years ago. It's a '48 Columbia Firebolt. It was a one owner bike until I bought it and it has all the original parts, pedals, tires, seat, and hand grips. I still have the bike, can't say the same for the Cougar.

Comment

Wow, awesome '48 Columbia Firebolt. If you ever decide to sell it, can I have first dibs ?
        ;D

Also love the Cougar.
        Was it a 351 Windsor ?

Comment

If I ever decide to sell, I will contact you. I don't ride it, just like the looks of it.

The 68 Cougar was a CA black plate car w/62k on it. 289, auto, p/s, a/c, buckets, console shift. All original Ford stuff on it like belts, hoses, etc, which of course I replaced when I went through the car to make it really road worthy. I pulled the steel wheels and caps, and put magnums on it w/BFG's. I had it 6-7 years. Sold it last Summer to a friend to be his son's first car.

Comment

Very nice of you to give up that '68 Cougar for your friends son's first car.
            That should be enough hook, line and sinker to get him for life !

If you are really just looking at the Firebolt, please consider selling it to me sooner rather than later.
            I need a cool bike for a pit bike at Maxton and this fits the bill perfectly.
            Besides, think of what you can do with all that room ...
            (send me a PM)
            ;D

Comment

Just got these the other week. We're gonna get in shape. ;) :P :D

The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Did you know that I can buy a new aluminum frame bike at Wal-Mart for about the same price as putting new good quality tires, tubes, chain & sprocket on a nostalgic cruiser ?
                :P

I guess the new disposable-priced bikes along with the heavy steel frames on the old bikes is why restoring the vintage stuff is rare these days.

Shame ...

Comment

Yes I agree . I 'm happy w/ my old scwhinn woodlands mountain bike that I got at an old scwhinn store 15 -18 years ago . But my old scwhinn Letours are realy needing replaced and I can get a better scwhinns than these wre at walmart for $ 220 .

Comment

I used to own a mountain bike, but it made me feel old.

I still own one of my 20" freestyle bikes.
                    Back before I was allowed to have a motor to drive me,
                    I rode BMX bikes, raced from 1981-89, and while moving on to cars, was still
                    to be found with some friends playing on the 1/4 pipes, and trails of the area.

I'll take a pic of mine. ;D

Comment

Those Schwinn bikes I got for the wiffee and me cost $200/ea at Walmart. The shifters, brakes, wheels, and frame are all better than the "good" Schwinn I bought 15 years ago at a "real" Schwinn dealer. Time marches on...
                      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Working...
                      X