Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you commute by bicyclist and be a car junkie at the same time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you commute by bicyclist and be a car junkie at the same time?

I do quit a fair bit of mountain biking and some bicycle camping when the weather is warm. I also have aspirations to commute by bicycle but have been doing so only intermittently because I am out of shape and it’s a 45 mile round trip commute.

It’s funny because none of my cycling friends like cars much and none of my car guy friends care about bicycling.

I’m pro public transportation and definitely for spending tax dollars on building bicycle paths/lanes. I definitely don’t want to give up any rights when it comes to my cars but I would love to have options when it comes to transportation.

What do you guys think? Am I way of track? What changes could our country/society make that would make things a little more car junkie friendly?

This is goofy but you can't make this stuff up. Found in the letters to the editor section of a recent issue of the Austin Chronicle in Austin, TX.

Re: Can you commute by bicyclist and be a car junkie at the same time?

shure why not?
    after all most bicycles have at least 2 foot-pounds of tourque ;D

Comment

Short answer: Yes.

I still have the Eddy Merckx I used to race in high school, and I ride occasionally.

Comment

Im sure you could rig up a small motor that chain or friction drives the rear tire, im sure no one has ever thought of that.....http://www.transformercycles.com/tim...tbikesmall.jpg then you have something that would satisfy your car buddies, and the tree huggers ...oops, i meant Environmentalists.....

Comment

Sure, saves money for car projects!

Comment

Last spring I bought a Jamis 1.0 bike. I started getting on this fitness kick because I weighed in at 287lbs. Lost 70, then gained about 10 over the winter. But the bicycle riding has become very enjoyable for me. I live in Indianapolis and we have a park downtown. It has a trail that runs a little over 20 miles north. I ride the entire way, have lunch at one of the restaurants where the cute girls work then I ride back.
            Also enjoy the female scenery on the trail. :o I'd do it every day if I could, but can only do it on weekends.
            Went mountain biking once and will definitely do it again when the mud dries up. That may have been the hardest workout I have ever been through. And I HAD to try the advanced trail. Went by myself and didn't think I was going to make it out. After every turn, there was a hill to climb. :P
            I've been looking into the possibility of taking my bike to Mammoth Cave Park in Ky. this summer... If I can stay out of my Camaro long enough.

When I get home tonight, I'll post some pics from the trail I ride.

Comment

I've got a bike in the garage. I sometimes grab it once in a while....

... when it's in the way of something... :D
              www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I think bicycling is becoming more popular around here. I see more bicyclist now that I ever have.
                And I also appreciate that our Governor is pro fitness and is allowing some of our tax dollars to go towards new trails. I always like going somewhere new.

Comment

Absolutely, my brother's a huge car junkie, with the requisite 2 cars in the garage and a shed full of parts. He mainly does downhill mountain biking which I would love to witness once. Him & a couple of buddies go up to Vermont in the summer, the places actually have attachments so the ski lifts can take up the bikes. I would probably fall down pissing my pants as his 325lb frame (his work nickname is Mongo) free-wheeled it down the side of a mountain. And he sure as hell ain't an environmentalist, one way or another it's all about speed...
                  sigpic

Comment

When I get home tonight, I'll post some pics from the trail I ride
                    cool do it.

I'm surprised how positive the feedback is.

Comment

every hunting season when i go to georiga, i take my mountian bike and go trailing in many of the parks that are around there. my fav is pine mountian in rosevelt nat. park. they have over 35 miles of diffrent types of trailes. here in florida i live near wilderniss park(near tampa) and they have 15 or so miles of just bike trailes. this is a real nice park if you can get past the heat and buggs. 8)

Comment

I'm surprised how positive the feedback is.
                        [/quote]

I don't want to be the bad guy here but I do have issues with a large percentage of bicyclists. I'm sure all of you follow the laws and rules of the road when you ride but I have had too many bad experiences with bikes not to speak up.

If you ride on public roads, you must stop at stoplights and signs. Cross walks are not for bikes, they are for pedestrians. Signal when you want to turn it will save both of us alot of trouble.

If you stop next to my car at the light, and you put your hand on my fender so you don't have to put a foot down, don't be suprised if I get mad and have some choice words for you.

We can share the road, as long as we all follow the rules.

Comment

yes if you dont wear them tight shorts....
                          Never kick a fresh Turd on a hot day.....Harry S Truman

Comment

LOL, I don't wear tight shorts. I usually wear those camo cargo shorts so I plenty of pockets with the button down flaps to put my keys, wallet, phone in.

And I don't like riding on the roads. I usually try to stay on the bike trails. That's where the females with the tight shorts are. I'll follow them. ;)

When I was in 4th grade, I recieved a concussion, fractured skull, 25 stiches in my leg and 9 above my ear when I got hit by a car. I got $1500 from the girls insurance company.... Nowdays I probably would have gotten $150,000.
                            Anyway, that's why I like to stay off road.

Comment

About those shorts, yeah I sometimes think folks who wear these just don't do this for the cycling, but just so they can wear these shorts... ;D

Here in the Netherlands (where the gov. rather wants to see everyone on a bike) cyclists are the least traffic-law obeying people I know off.
                              95% of them just ignore most all RightofWay-situations and trafficlights, even the ones especially put down for cyclists.

To make things worse, they have a law here, that whenever a car-to-bike accident happens, the car-driver is ALWAYS presumed guilty and he/she has to prove he/she did everything in their power to prevent the accident. If you can't do this, you get fined. :
                              www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Working...
                              X