Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on TRW pistons

is there a web site that list piston weight by part #
    after I find the reciept for them. so I can see what the listed guess of compression is with different CC heads
    as my 71 c-10 engine thats in it is tired, and the 454 is to big for a daily driver..(gas hog)
    my 355 with brodix track I heads (68cc) I want to say the pistons came out as 10 to 1 or 10.5 to1
    way to much in a heavy truck ,mild cam and different heads, like vortecs..
    the 355 was balanced, so I'm gonna want to get the grams of the pistons the same or at least close so I can shave if needed..(rods are floating pin) so change out is simple..

or I can look at alum heads with a bigger cc.. but most are gonna be about the same as the ones on it.. 68 or smaller
    (vortecs are 64)

it might be cheaper to rebuild the vortec engine I have..(spun bearing)

weigh'n options as there isn't any money.. and the 355 is here (built in 92 and never used)

might have money to play with as I have my 454 crate on craigs list and two guys are coming to look at it..

as far as the TRW weights, and a site that list them..
    WHOM OWNS THEM NOW.. and are they just renamed something else now..
    thanks for reading my book.. haha
    and any info is great..

Re: Question on TRW pistons

TRW's are now Speed Pro's - heavy bastards. Federal-Mogul used to have a piston catalog that had a lot of dimensional information but I can't remember if it had weight. You can dig around their website, I think they also had an engine builders newsletter that you could sign up for that gave you access to more site information.

Tenneco is one of the world's leading designers, manufacturers and marketers of products for original equipment and aftermarket customers.

Comment

thanks..
      yes heavy pistons... but the engine was built for use of n.o.s.
      forged callies crank, h beam rods,etc etc etc

Comment

I've wondered about running existing pistons through a cnc machine to make the dish match the combustion chamber shape. Being the top class hack like I am, I was going to make a template with mdf and use a carbide bit in a router. Pffft.

I think Corky Bell was discussing dishing pistons with a mill in some article I read a million years ago in an effort to reduce compression for turbo mills, and the concensus was something like .01 for every inch of diameter was consided okay. I wish I could find the reference for that. When you look at some slugs, they've got a freaking THICK deck and it doesn't take a huge dish to bring compression down.

The only pistons I've seen get holed in the top were ignition related issues and there's nothing going to live through that anyway. How many times have you seen a valve embedded in the piston deck where it didn't go through it? Point that I'm getting at is... maybe a competent machine shop could cut some dishes in your existing pistons for not a lot of coin and depending on how much it changed the weight, it may not even need to be rebalanced. You might be able to pick the weight back up by going to a thicker pin? That seems really backwards somehow.

Balancing is a black art to me anyway - there's some arbitrary figure like 50% that it gets balanced to, and then the question is how accurate was it to begin with? I see bobweight quotes in +/- .5 to 2 grams, and wonder how much weight is in a few cc's of aluminum.

Maybe one of the uber-builders here will weigh in (pun intended) on balancing and / or the impact of cutting a dish into an already balanced setup.

Comment

TRW L2417
          Gm Part Number 474190
          9:1
          76cc
          464664 or

THOSE ARE THE PISTONS only mine are 30 over..
          can't for the life of me find info on what the ball park engine CR would be with 64 cc heads

Comment

Can you open the chambers up on the heads at all?..... That may save a lot of brain damage trying to figure balance weights and such. There are tons of sbc heads that come in 72 & 76 cc's .....
            Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
              Can you open the chambers up on the heads at all?..... That may save a lot of brain damage trying to figure balance weights and such. There are tons of sbc heads that come in 72 & 76 cc's .....
              I'd have to call brodix on that.. I'm guessing yes but.................
              the intake ports are 215 cc..
              I'd think that be large for a street daily driver.. but maybe not..
              vortecs are 170cc edel proformers are 200..

I'd love to use this engine as is.. my track I's cc'd out as 68.5cc so it not take much to open the chamber up some..
              as long as the ports don't kill all the low end (and I'm thinking 215cc ports that have been ported.. are gonna be to big)

edel heads come in 64 or 70 cc chambers.. but..
              $$$ as I'm still on medical leave from work..

weigh'n options..
              might just do a quick and dirty rebuild on the one piece rear seal 350 that had a spun bearing(won't know if it was rod or main till I open it..)

anyone think 220 cc ports are not to big for a daily driver with a mild cam.. (I think to big)

Comment

I came up with 3.5 cc trough type valve relief for the pistons , 10.55:1 with zero deck and 64cc.

roughly 9.6 with 72cc heads
                roughly 9.2 with 76cc heads

assuming zero deck, .04 compressed gasket, 3.48 stroke and 4.03 bore.

Comment

so 68cc would be like 10 to 1..

think I'll save this engine for my montty SS..

Comment

Yep ... would be great in the Monte.

What about a re-ring or shortblock for the vortec? A 383 would be the easy answer for me if the crank was torn up... clean up the bowls, give 'em a good 3 angle valve job, deck them a bit if you need to for a 9:1 383 shortblock with something like a 216* ish intake lobed roller, 1.5" shorties... That's my idea of a great tow truck motor for pretty cheap. I think it would run pretty good too. Maybe a little less cam and just a little less compression and it should get okay economy. Aren't Vortec heads supposed to prefer less total timing? You could do it on regular probably.

Almost makes me want to find a 72 shortbed stepside, but if I did that, I'd want the 355 you already have. ;D

Comment

if I wasn't gonna be use'n it daily, then...
                      guys coming over tonight (soon)
                      to look at my 454 crate, if it sells,
                      I'll just order a basic sbc thats like 900.00
                      reeds down the road wants 2800.oo to do a basic rebuild on a 350.
                      I'll get a crate first.. if I'm gonna spend 2800.oo (can't don't have..)
                      the rest of the 454 sale money will go to medical bills,, fun fun

Comment

Working...
                      X