Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine suggestions

OK- this is going to get as many thoughts as there are belly buttons:

Last year in the quest to go to Drag Week, my big Olds ate itself. SO I decided to get out of the Olds business and put my Chevy truck back to all Chevy. Now I am trying to decide what to build. The only Chevy engine I have to build is a 305, so my options are open. I guess my goal is about 500 HP. That is possible with both SB and BB. What should I build? Small block or big block? 6, V8? What size? Prefer N/A, but am willing to turbo an engine if I can do it cheap. How about stroking the 305 to 335 and turbo'ing it? I have connections at a salvage yard, so I should be able to find most any engine.

I would really like to be able to drive this thing anywhere. I am getting really tired of letting it decorate my shop.

Re: Engine suggestions

"I would really like to be able to drive this thing anywhere. I am getting really tired of letting it decorate my shop."

with that said, I'd stay sbc and a 350 will cost less than a stoked 305
    hell 383s are fairly cheap to build

Comment

How about a mild Turbo'd 292 backed up by a 200r4?

DIY EFI solves the problems of mixture distribution in those long intake manifolds and the low end torque of those engines is impressive. It's also not another belly button SBC.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Boy, I sure wouldn't bother with a 305 especially when a 4.8 or 5.3 is practically free.

If you have to stay old school, I'd suggest a 454. A 500 horse 454 is a lot more fun (and easy on the wallet) then a 500 horse small block by a long shot. The additional 100 or so ft/lbs of torque are handy in a truck too.

Bang for the buck? I'd do a four bolt 350 with a stock crank or cast 3.75 crank, forged rods and pistons, vortec heads, and a blow through turbo set up. That'd be a cheap and lazy 500 hp all day.
        Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

bump up the 305 to 64cc heads.

600cfm...

leave everything else alone. Unless the hei is not vacuum advance.

cheap.

enjoy the gas prices.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by RR
            I guess my goal is about 500 HP.

Prefer N/A, but am willing to turbo an engine if I can do it cheap.

I would really like to be able to drive this thing anywhere.
            A N/A small block making 500 hp is not something you'd like to drive anywhere. A big inch big block, maybe. Wont' be cheap.

A turbo'd 350 might do the job, it'll take some effort to put it all together. Or go with a turbo'd LSx

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

trade the 305 for a microphone or something

a 500 hp sbc on the street would need a manual transmission , a torque converter that will take a big cam would be miserable around town

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                You are a funny bastard.

I'm saying go with a basic, anvil-like big block Chevy.
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

l92 ... aluminum 6.2 , hell, they're like 400+ stock, right? VVT might be a bitch kitty though.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                    That is funny, right there.

Note- being able to drive it anywhere does not mean that I would drive it every day.

Comment

You might want to elaborate more on what you mean by "able to drive it anywhere". This means different things to different people. It also might make a big difference in what you'll accept.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I'd suggest a 352 Packard (IIR the displacement C). NOT another bellybutton. How hard could it be to find speed parts?

Otherwise, I'm thinking BBC would be the most tractable.

Dan

Comment

As cheap and easy as it is to stick a 5.3 in a C10, I would find whatever Ls engine I could and drop it in there. Some can make 500 NA others just need a turbo. Sure a BBC will make the power easier than a sbc and be more fun to drive, but it is still a heavy pig, sucks gas, and is more expensive. I have a rat in my 76 C10 and it is coming out to make room for a 6.0 if I can ever find one up here. Might as well get some mileage along with the power. A spacer adapts a 700R4 to the crank, and headers are available for it now. A friend of mine put a 5.3 in his 71 C10 and he drives it everywhere, add a hairdryer and that thing would be a monster of a truck.

I would really enjoy a stroked LS, something over 400ci, with L92 heads, running E85 NA in my 98 Formula. Been drooling over that idea for a while now.

Comment

By "drive anywhere"- I mean the ability to drive it to the store to pick up a soda or take out on a 30+ mile drive for a cruise. Probably not cross country on a 100+ mile road trip, but to the local cruises without being concerned. Must be able to idle in city driving without overheating.

It takes gas to make power- mileage is not a huge concern right now.

Dan- I had a 315 Dodge Hemi engine in my shop for a year or so- that would have made for a unique ride. The pistons for the engine cost as much as a complete rebuild kit for a BBC- ouch!

Comment

even a 6.0 cast iron truck block LS with L92 heads will make snotty power. I've driven a stock half ton with the 367 hp version and it moved that fatbutt with fair authority. There's another 75-100 hp laying around with the heads and a bit more cam.

Dude - turbo the crap out of the 305 for however long it lasts! It'll be reliable right up to that point where it goes POP. Get a couple of t3's and go for it. The import guys get rid of the smaller ones all the time, they don't need to be really big for a 305. What kind of 305? Does it have vortec heads? Roller?

Comment

Working...
                              X