Engine suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Engine suggestions

6.0 cast iron truck block LS with Scoggin-Dickey Parts Center L92 CNC Assembled Heads

efi and a 700r with a little stall
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC
      6.0 cast iron truck block LS with Scoggin-Dickey Parts Center L92 CNC Assembled Heads

and more tire. I'm jealous of these heads. The holy crap factor for the dollar is unmatchable.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Slick

and more tire. I'm jealous of these heads. The holy crap factor for the dollar is unmatchable.
        Me too, getting 350cfm from my Pontiacs means $2500 minimum. Of course its far cheaper for me to build a 496 to put under them

That is exactly what I would do, find a 6.o block and throw those heads on it. You could drive it anywhere and make lots of power.

Comment

nothing like ripping the highway up in 6.2 denali

Comment

the only thing 305s are good for is donating cranks to hurt 350s.

Other then the cost of buying a LS family motor - it'll make you far happier in the end....
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
              the only thing 305s are good for is donating cranks to hurt 350s.

Other then the cost of buying a LS family motor - it'll make you far happier in the end....
              Quite true. Even being a die hard Pontiac guy, I still love driving this one. Not so fond of working on it since I cant get #8 plug out with my huge hands, but I love this car.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455
                Originally posted by Tom Slick

Me too, getting 350cfm from my Pontiacs means $2500 minimum. Of course its far cheaper for me to build a 496 to put under them

That is exactly what I would do, find a 6.o block and throw those heads on it. You could drive it anywhere and make lots of power.
                4 years out from having a stroked SBC built for the El Camino, and every summer since having wished I'd done a BBC, I'm now thinking that the better option would have been to go this route. But I wasn't paying attention to the gathering LS storm in 2006.
                Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

II don't have a LS but I am a little biased. There is nothing as simple that puts out power like it does. If your going to Turbo it then I'd go with the smaller 5.3 naturally asperated....atleast a 6.0. .Now till I got my 95 caprice wagon you couldn't have given me an LT1.But now that I have one I kind of like it. And if you were going to Turbo it...Should be fun.If all your asking is to be able to drive it 30miles......could be just about anything. ..with a stick.And unless it's for the strip only everything should have a stick. Especially a truck.

Comment

OK- I moved on this pretty quick. I picked up a 454 today. Decided that there is no replacement for displacement. The engine runs, so I am probably going to do a little dressup or maybe replace the top end (it came out of an RV, so peanut port city...) and just drive it for a while.

Comment

im gonna have to agree with a few other guys and say build an LQ4 6.0 with L92 heads and a decent cam. a few magazines have done this buildup and theyve all made around 550hp

Comment

Originally posted by RR
                        OK- I moved on this pretty quick. I picked up a 454 today. Decided that there is no replacement for displacement. The engine runs, so I am probably going to do a little dressup or maybe replace the top end (it came out of an RV, so peanut port city...) and just drive it for a while.
                        hard to argue with that. I saw this not long ago - might be worth a read:

Comment

I think I would stick with a conventional SBC rather than opt for an LS engine or a big block.

1) Parts are dirt cheap as the demand for LS stuff is growing, the supply of SBC stuff is gathering dust. Take advantage of this inexpensive resource

2) Build a forged-crank, forged piston 383 with a good set of aluminum heads.

3) Bolt a 750 Holley on it

4) Use a large diameter torque converter for decent mileage

5) 3.23 gears (or there abouts) for decent fuel mileage.

6) Throw a NOS Cheater system on it.

7) Let it eat!

Ron
                          It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

lol guys - you did see the quote right? RR already got himself a BBC... and it's a fine choice. Found some heads for ya, RR.

actually, I'd probably still go with the Ed's for this. Can somebody explain why the marine version of the RPM is cheaper than the "street" version?

Free Shipping - Edelbrock Marine-Duty Performer RPM 454 Cylinder Heads with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Cylinder Heads at Summit Racing.

871.95 apiece, assembled.

Comment

marine engines get good cooling so they don't need as good of materials. Then again, they run at full load all the time, so they need better materials.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                                marine engines get good cooling so they don't need as good of materials. Then again, they run at full load all the time, so they need better materials.
                                uh huh. Grin.

I went and read them both again, more carefully this time. Apparently Edelbrock doesn't think Marine "Assembled" heads need valvesprings, retainers, or keepers. Their car version "Assembled" heads get these items. Hosers. Lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X