Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poser? Cam sound that doesn't add power.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poser? Cam sound that doesn't add power.

I saw this and had to ask what the general opinion is.....
    Never mind the hiphop crap mixed in...
    Before and after of what the idle sounds like after just a tune. Current modifications include JLT intake, Magnaflow offroad cat deleted xpipe and street ser...

Since there are 4 valve motors with adjustable cam phasers....you can have a nasty idle with just a computer tune.

I have mixed opinions on this.... I LOVE the sound of something with a lot of cam, but I've never built something that really needed it and won't sacrifice performance for idle sound.

Now that Comp makes the Thumpr series, I would be really temped to use one in my next build. But at least I would have swapped a cam!
    Is it cool that sound will be diluted by a bunch of guys with an axle back exhaust and "ghost cam" tune.....?
    I don't know. Because to be honest, if my wife had bought a new 5 liter rather than the 6 banger....I'd probably already have the rough idle tune already.....

Then again....they make a tune to make a 6er thump as well....but I have to draw the line somewhere!
    First to make 2011 Ghost Cam - MorePowerTuning.com tuned 2011 Mustang V6 3.7. This is a stock car with an SCT Tune created by MorePowerMike making it sound l...

Re: Poser? Cam sound that doesn't add power.

I'd vote poser. It's like that turbo whistle thingy that you bolt on to the exhaust of your Prius :.
    Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

tough question.... with guys like Larry Larson (who is a super nice guy) driving 6 second Novas on the street; it seems a bit pointless to try to build a competitive car without a bottomless bank account, selling children and living in the car (and still probably won't be competitive) - so why not? and yes, there is a taste limit to this, but still why not (and I drive a Buick with a roll cage that is only slightly faster then a new pickup and gets lots worse mileage)
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I can think of tons of other "upgrades" that the typical gearhead will do to their car that aren't performance improvements, so I see no problem with this one.
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C
          I'd vote poser. It's like that turbo whistle thingy that you bolt on to the exhaust of your Prius :.
          I agree, for an 8 that does not need that stuff, or even the 6 as a v or flat. they don't need it either..

both an inline four and six I had sounded lumpy getting it correct, both old carbed. I could not even replicate it if I tried....it added s hitload of power and increased fuel mileage.

injected got a big fat low speed circuit anyway.. makes it even sillier.
          don't see many places for an idle like that being useful...I assume the inlines with offset intake runners, thay would have to sound stupid to be normal.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

POSER

Comment

I had to pay a bunch of money and do a bunch of labor to get that sound outta my car.... > Seems like cheetin to me. ;)

It does sound good though.... yeah its Poser... but it did sound good.....
              Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

I dont have a thumper cam, but the few ive seen have plenty
                of power to go with the thump.
                COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

I Really don't have a problem with it. After all the cam is making the noise (not coming out speakers under the car) . Not near as annoying as open headers or opened up cut outs on a car that has a stock cam. Or a fart canned import.

Comment

Working...
                  X