Cars, Cars, and a Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cars, Cars, and a Truck

Every spring I have a real need to buy more cars. It dosen't matter how many I have, I just need more. Having my office at the Lingenfelter museum, and looking at the 150+ cars every day is not helping.

I have been searching for a 64 - 65 Ford Falcon (first car I ever heard with open headers), a 66 - 67 Nova (love these cars), and looking at Comets, El Caminos, 68 - 72 Novas. My wife has been telling me I don't need more, and that I haven't even brought the last one I bought home. I made a deal with Freiburger, and now own the 1970 Chevy 4X4 he had. So, late last week I arranged to have the truck shipped to Michigan.

Last night I was looking on Craigs List, and found my first street / drag race car that I built for sale. It is a 1974 Maverick I bought brand new out of th eshowroom of a Ford dealer 7 miles from the dragstrip.. It had 500 miles when I took the driveline out and installed a Paxton blown small block, top loader 4 speed, and a 9". I had to sell it in 1976 after I got married and had a kid. It had 2400 miles when I sold it. One of my best friends bought it, and kept it for about 7 years. When he sold it there were 2600 miles on the speedo. I lost track of it for a number of years. About 15 years ago my friend that bought it from me found it at a swap meet with a for sale sign, but no number. He called me, and I drove 35 miles there to try to buy it. It was gone and I lost track of it until yesterday. I found it about 45 miles from my house. It has been sitting in a garage for the last 15 years. It has under 3000 miles currently. I called the current owner and left my number. I hope he calls me and it is still available, because I plan to own it again!

Then this morning I got a e-mail that my wife's 2011 Camaro SS convertible has been built and is on the way to the dealer. I did not expect it for another month or so. If everything works right, I will have 3 more cars in the driveway. ;D

And, if someone knows of a nice Falcon , Nova, please pass the info along.

Re: Cars, Cars, and a Truck

That post is full of win 8)
    Let's list them:
    1) Open headers
    2) 64-5 Falcon
    3) 66-7 Novas
    4) ignoring the El Camino it's an acquired taste that I have just not acquired
    5) tearing apart a brand-new car to race it
    6) repurchasing said car
    7) the reason for the original sale is a car nut too
    8) 3 new-to-you cars in the driveway.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'm going to be out and about all over houston this weekend, i'll keep a eye out for ya
      Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Mike....I am still open for adoption.

;D
        200 mph or bust.......

Comment

adoption ? hell I would be happy with some of the shops table scraps
          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Seems normal to me. The Camaro will need a blower.

Comment

I get a number of offers from people willing to be adopted. : Makes me feel really old sometimes.............

I finally got ahold of the guy that was selling my old car. The bad is he already sold it. The good news is he is going to forward my contact information to the new owner. So, I will have to take a wait and see.

They went to pick up the truck yesterday, and it was 1" too wide to fit in the enclosed truck. They are going to send a open carrier to pick it up. :-\

The Camaro is getting a supercharger. I have to decide if it is staying a LS3, or turning into a LS7. Or, if it stays a LS3 are we replacing the heads and cam. Is 600hp enough, 670hp enough, 750hp enough, or does my wife need 800+ to drive to work. :D

Today I am making a offer on a new building for Diversified. If we get it, we will double in size to 15,000 sqft. Wish me luck!

Comment

Best of luck on all the endeavors Mike. Especially on the new shop
                Donna
                Williamston, MI
                Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

The meeting with the Realtor had been rescheduled for Monday.

On the good side, the guy that had my old car called tonight. I had left my number a few days ago. He was kind enough to give my number to the guy that bought it, and he called tonight. We talked about the car in detail. It appears it is 95% the way it was when I sold it in 1976. It has the short block that I put in, same trans, same interior, V gate shifter, Lakewood traction bars, paint, you name it.

I had a 1973 Mach 1 that I was driving, and racing on the weekend. It was heavy, and the best it ever ran was 13.80. I got in a small accident with the Mustang, and decided I was going to buy something new. I was going to buy a Bronco, but my dad told me if I wanted a fast car, now was the time. There was only one choice for a Ford guy in 1974, a Maverick. I bought it with the intention of going fast. I was 17 years old, and it was brand new with only 3 options. It was grabber blue, had a 302 V8, racing mirrors and white pin stripes. It had 500 miles when I pulled the driveline and replaced it. I installed a Paxton blown small block, a top loader 4 speed, and a 9" with a detroit locker. I blew the small block a few times, and installed a 351 Clevland. I drag raced it all the time, and very rarely drove it on the street. When I got married, and had a kid, I had to sell the car. It had 2400 miles when I sold it. One of my friends bought it, and kept it for about 7 years. He ended up selling it to someone that drove by and saw it in his driveway. The guy that just sold it had it for 15 years. He was the 4th owner. It now has 4900 miles.

They say you can't go home again. I hope they are wrong. I have a appointment to go see it on Saturday. The new owner has agreed to sell it to me. If everything goes right, I will own it again.

Comment

wow!! thats how a real american stimulates the economy ;D
                    COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Just 800 hp for the wife's car? You really are limiting yourself. ;D
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by LS1 ZR2
                        I get a number of offers from people willing to be adopted. : Makes me feel really old sometimes.............

I finally got ahold of the guy that was selling my old car. The bad is he already sold it. The good news is he is going to forward my contact information to the new owner. So, I will have to take a wait and see.

They went to pick up the truck yesterday, and it was 1" too wide to fit in the enclosed truck. They are going to send a open carrier to pick it up. :-\

The Camaro is getting a supercharger. I have to decide if it is staying a LS3, or turning into a LS7. Or, if it stays a LS3 are we replacing the heads and cam. Is 600hp enough, 670hp enough, 750hp enough, or does my wife need 800+ to drive to work. :D

I'm still waiting for ya...
                        Today I am making a offer on a new building for Diversified. If we get it, we will double in size to 15,000 sqft. Wish me luck!

Comment

I went to see my old Maverick hot rod today. A few things have changed on it since I sold it in 1976, but it is really close to the way it was. It still has the same engine, transmission, and rear axle. It even has the Goodyear Polyglass G60 15 tires on the back it had when I sold it.

After much discussion, and a little wheeling and dealing, I have my car back. ;D I pick it up next week. 8) I took a couple pictures of it with my phone. I will post them later.

My friend that bought it from me in 1976 went with me to look at it. He is a body and paint guy. I asked him if he would be interested in going over the whole car and fix up the paint for me. He jumped at the chance, so that will be the first stop after I get it back.

Now the question. Do I update the 351 Clevland that is in the car now. Or, do I build another blown small block for it. What do you guy's think?

Comment

Update what's there. Part of what makes it so important to you is that it's still the way you left it. Make it looks the same but add a modern cam and port or disguise a set of modern heads to look the stockers I'm assuming are on there now.
                            Central TEXAS Sleeper
                            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Just update it.....There are plenty of cars to put different motors in.....but that one is just right already.

Seth
                              200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Working...
                              X