Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: '50s cars?

i built a 54 chevy when i got maried
    springs droped uprights rear end 400 sbc turbo 350 etc ... was fun fast and drove good not a road carver like my wifes 68 camaro that has all the susponison done etc but fun
    i am buiolding a 57 chevy gasser now but with out the straight axle has wagon air springs with spacers and the works disk brakes dif rear end {strick car with built small block,bye tri five rear lol}
    will be cool but they are all built in there style
    with the parts out today and the minds of the talanted people alive you could build anything to run turn and stop great might not be as easy as a bolt together camaro or mustang but very doable

i also have a 31 chevy and we are building{brothe and i} a 1918 dodge touring car cut down to a roadster pick up with a 250 straight 6 that is all hot roded and a 36 chevy truck that used to be a race car in the late 50's early 60's with a hemi but thats another story

all depends on what you hae in mind and abilty and funds they are all cool we build everything but i like old stuff the best so i give 50's cars along with 20's 30's 40's 60's 70's thumbs up

Comment

Originally posted by Agent-OO6.
      I've got a pair of 50's heaps. One Black 1950 Oldsmobile 4-door,and a two-tone(Black & White..)1957 De-Soto 'Shopper' 9-pasenger Station-Wagon(w/392 power...). Both are 'origional'(the Olds was given 'an expensive cosmetic re-furb in the early 80's...where it won many 1'st places in local shows...,while the De-Soto is TOTALY origional/un-restored. The De-Soto is in deep storage,although it does run(non-smoker..),while the Oldsmobile's 331 V8 developed a knock under the previous owner(simple lack of maintance
      Another interesting thing about the 50s cars is that each division made their own car..unlike the later years, where there was one car with different skin on it. For example, although the 50 Caddy had a 331, the 50 Olds had a 303 (and none of the Caddy parts fit it). While a 57 Chrysler could have a 392, a 57 Desoto would have a 341 (and none of the Chrysler parts fit it).

THis makes the 50s cars more unique...and also more challenging to figure out how to hop them up.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Annoyingly, the frames and rearends are often not the same. Example: a '55 Pontiac frame and rear are different from a '55 Chevy.

Comment

I for one, am a sucker for that flat black 55 in American Grafitti, and the Hollywood Knights
          version of Project "X". Those two cars ooze cool.

Comment

Even though they were a bit before my time, I have a real soft spot for '50s cars. I'll watch an old movie on tv, not caring about the story, only because it's got cool cars in it. Hitchcock movies are good for that, like Vertigo, The DeSoto that Jimmy Stewart drove was cool! I think the one I'd like to own most would be a '57 Fairlane 2 door hardtop, either black and white two-tone or all black. I'd do the exterior bone stock, even wide white's and hubcaps, but do a current drive train. Maybe an EFI 351 and a Tremec 5 speed, A/C, disc brakes, etc.
            Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I'll do you one better; not only am I willing to get a '50-something to cruise in, I have no problem with it being a more-door.

Comment

I didn't pick my 57 for it's cheapness. I originally selected it so I wouldn't have to worry about smog and could do anything I wanted to it without worrying about the man messing with me.

I picked a body style that I really liked - then removed everything under it and put in what I wanted. Home Depot sells sawsall blades by the box - so have at it. For me - I would be hard pressed to find one valid reason to drive a car with a torque tube in it.

Another factor to consider, if you decide to buy something that isn't REALLY popular (tri 5, deuce ...) then be prepared to pay A LOT OF MONEY for original stuff (re-popped or not). Sheet metal can be expensive to have fixed when you can't find the patch panels that you ARE going to need on a 50 - 60 year old car.

Being the Ford bigot that I am, I would love to have a Vicky or Park Lane with a modern powertrain but unless I can find a 100point show car with a distressed owner, I doubt seriously I would take on another major build like my wagon was.

Comment

I like my '56 Chevy (makes the best tri-fivecustom), but I love my '40 Ford coupe (well, it does have a late 50s 283). vic
                  vic NASCARland

Comment

min301 the 55 in american was gloss black lol but it is one of the coolest my budy is building a 55 like that with a blown 427 in it way cool
                    he built an excact copy of the coupe too but then changed to a lilbit biger rear tire so it looks right but it is spot on down to the valve covers cracked window pass door nock cyl missing and manafre intake and it runs low 7's spining in the 1/8

Comment

There's a lot of 50's cars that I like, especially the tri-5 Chevy's, but also some of the late-50's mopars. Desoto's are cool, and some of the Plymouth Fury's (Christine), Chrysler 300's and Dodge Coronet's I've seen have really caught my eye too. I think I've posted these before, but here's some from Autorama that I really liked.

I really wanted to take this one home when I saw it from the highway on a road trip. Pretty sad sight. Someone had used it for target practice, and it had no floorpans at all.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn
                        I didn't pick my 57 for it's cheapness. I originally selected it so I wouldn't have to worry about smog and could do anything I wanted to it without worrying about the man messing with me.

I picked a body style that I really liked - then removed everything under it and put in what I wanted. Home Depot sells sawsall blades by the box - so have at it. For me - I would be hard pressed to find one valid reason to drive a car with a torque tube in it.

Another factor to consider, if you decide to buy something that isn't REALLY popular (tri 5, deuce ...) then be prepared to pay A LOT OF MONEY for original stuff (re-popped or not). Sheet metal can be expensive to have fixed when you can't find the patch panels that you ARE going to need on a 50 - 60 year old car.

Being the Ford bigot that I am, I would love to have a Vicky or Park Lane with a modern powertrain but unless I can find a 100point show car with a distressed owner, I doubt seriously I would take on another major build like my wagon was.
                        I would love to see pictures of your car.

My Dad's hotrod when I was a kid was a '57 Fairlane 500 - Now that he's retired I often think it would be cool to find one and do what you are describing to it for him...

Comment

Originally posted by Not A Duster
                          I would love to see pictures of your car.

My Dad's hotrod when I was a kid was a '57 Fairlane 500 - Now that he's retired I often think it would be cool to find one and do what you are describing to it for him...
                          Here are a few shots.

Comment

Very cool.

Thank you very much.

I dunno much about Fords from that era, but I'm guessing the dual headlight thing is custom, or the clip is from a later year car?

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Not A Duster
                              Very cool.

Thank you very much.

I dunno much about Fords from that era, but I'm guessing the dual headlight thing is custom, or the clip is from a later year car?

Thanks again.
                              They are 58 lights in 57 fenders with custom roll pan, bumper and grill bar.

Comment

Hmmmm i like 50s cars too
                                Never kick a fresh Turd on a hot day.....Harry S Truman

Comment

Working...
                                X