'50s cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '50s cars?

It seems that many of us here are mostly into muscle-era cars. But as much as I surf for cars for sale, I can't help but notice that '50s rides are a way better bang for the buck in terms of price of entry. You can get a good-to-great '50s car (depending on how much of an oddball you're willing to get) for less than the cost of a clapped-out Camaro or Road Runner.

Is there a reason that you wouldn't buy an affordable '50s cruiser?

Re: '50s cars?

This should have been a poll. Maybe break it down into decades.

I used to sayanything older then the mid '60s was too old. Now it seems the older I get the mare cars I like.

I would definitely buy a '50s car. Even older.
    Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
      It seems that many of us here are mostly into muscle-era cars. But as much as I surf for cars for sale, I can't help but notice that '50s rides are a way better bang for the buck in terms of price of entry. You can get a good-to-great '50s car (depending on how much of an oddball you're willing to get) for less than the cost of a clapped-out Camaro or Road Runner.

Is there a reason that you wouldn't buy an affordable '50s cruiser?
      You hit the nail on the head Dave, I also think a lot of the 50's cars represent the best bang for your buck right now. When I went looking for a car earlier this year I kept an open mind to a lesser known or collected car and got lucky with my '55 Star Chief. I would have preferred a '55 Chevy, but I got inot the Pncho for about 1/4 of the price.

Nik

Comment

"come on in, boys,..........the water is fine!" aside from a few straglers, thats where my biggest interest is. the only non-fifties car i have is the 80 car-vette. if i was rich, it'd be a 57. ;D

Comment

To bad my bang doesn't go to far lately
          HRPT 2004LH 2007LH 2008

Comment

I've always had a softspot for a 50's Cruiser and more a finned car. But the ones 'really' affordable to me are the mostly dull-looking 4dr-sedan versions with some rust-issues to tackle. But I'll take a 4dr-hardtop anyday.

It's my belief late 50's cars still have a 'lawn-chair-carmeeting' feel to them for most people.
            My most recent acquirement in 2006, a '60 Chrysler NewYorker, which I bought for $2800, comes closest being a '50s-like cruiser, but I won't settle for the 'stock' performance these cars usually had (although Chrysler pretty much had their act together during that time). I also don't care much for the outside-look of a car, but that's mainly a financial issue I guess.
            In that view I'm more a performance-junkie and always like to upgrade the performance og my cars whenever possible.
            At the moment, I'm still in the market for a '57/58 finned fullszie Mopar-product.
            www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I prefer the '50's era cars when it comes to style, and the early '60's big cars run a close second for me.

Buick, Olds, Pontiac and even Cadillac are always at the top of my wish list. Right now the prices for these cars is where it should be, for the most part, IMO. They are much more affordable than late '60's, early '70's cars of the same make(except Cadillacs).

I'll probably never be a hard core drag racer, or road racer for that matter, but I do love to drive the hell out of them.

Comment

I guess i got a REAL good deal on my 50's crusier? Altho it does need redone.

8)

Comment

My problem is I'd have to have a 57-58 Chrysler 300 or a Desoto Adventurer. They are WAAAAY out of my price range. Dave

Comment

I'd loooooooove to have a 50's car.
                    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I have a 50's cruiser.I just don't talk about it much.

Comment

Cars from the muscle car era are so much easier to do stuff to....they came with suspensions that work, steering that works, strong useable rearends, wiring that works, etc. 50s cars are a bitch to hot rod! serious. Although they're way easier than 30s-40s cars. Exception...the tri-5 chevys are relatively easy, but most everything else (especially non-chevy GMs and mopars) are really weird.

Can't beat the styling of a 55 chevy hardtop, though
                        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar

It's my belief late 50's cars still have a 'lawn-chair-carmeeting' feel to them for most people.
                          I totally agree with that...which is why you just have to HOT ROD them and BEAT on them!

Comment

I had a sweet 58 Ford custom 300 2 door, 292 V-8 3 spd on the tree. Sold it to buy a pos 69 Mach 1- should have kept the 58. Next project will be another 58 or maybe a Edsel!

Comment

Done right, any car, regardless of it's age, can be bitchin'(well, most of them anyways...not much hope for a cordoba with Rich Corinthian Leather).....the Camaro has subframe rot in the left rear, gonna have to make a decision soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X