'50s cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: '50s cars?

Well - it's outstanding. Impressive to say the least...

Comment

well I can find a car I like from every decade, well at least the 30s. I bought my 50s cruiser from a customer to drive till my GTO is Done.
      not a bad buy for under 5k, as is including all the origional parts including the 324/hydro. It has a 71 400 sbc/350t in it and drives great , after new king pins.

maybe I should put my 489 BBC in it?
      Reading , Pa
      Good Guys rodders rep.
      "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
      Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

You guys have all mentioned some really cool stuff, but I think there is one that is almost totally overlooked, and it's kind of a great looking car (at least to me), and that's the '55 Plymouth. The '56 got a bit carried away with the bumpy fins and all, but the '55 was basic and understated. The automatics has this little lever in the dash on the right (as I recall - it's been a while) of the steering column that looked too flimsy to shift a trans, and maybe it was, considering that they went to the pushbuttons shortly afterward. All around, just a cool car.

Dan

Comment

56 Chevy Pickup Pro Street. Aawwwwhhhhh!

Comment

This wasnt 50's but I was in love with a certain 39 pontiac 4 door sedan that went for only $40 at a farm auction when I was 15 .It was complete and solid but my father would not let me buy it and wouldnt bid on it for me . I still have a passion for that body style although a 38 or 39 chevy 4dr sedan would be just fine.
            Suicide rear doors and that short rump shaped trunk on the back is just cool ! A good 454 in there would make it perfect .

Comment

One of the cars I would love to build for myself is another '58 Ford Custom 300 2dr Sedan with a mean ass FE and 4-speed. I did one for a friend in high school and we drove the wheels off of it, that car was blast!

Another is a '55 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan like the old man had. His was an all out Y-block and was a pretty nasty runner. Rusted to the ground because he drove it rain or shine.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto
                  I bought my 50s cruiser from a customer to drive till my GTO is Done.
                  I especially love the hubcaps. ;D
                  Got any extra that came with the car that you might part with? If you are pals with the last owner still could you ask him if he has any extra he'd like to sell. Those are the caps I really want for Big Olds yet have been waiting to purchase them till everything else was done. Now's the time, so I have begun to look.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle
                    What is the bottom one? Like a 1950 Ford? I love that - except it has paint. Mine would have to be flat black primer... on the fence about the lakes pipes too.
                    the blue one? exactly.
                    I like paint on smooth cars. if it were mine it would probably be beat up, destroyed when i tried to chop it :D, and primer gray...

some more:

cars from the 50's had style. too bad the car companies didn't aim for the futuristic 50's era concept cars after 'dabbling' with musclecars.

Comment

We have a 54 Chevy sedan (Yes Denise - we're open to cruising this thing locally soon!)
                      and though it's pretty boring from a driver's perspective (stovebolt 6 1 barrel, 3 on the tree)
                      It sure cruises down the road nicely and a we get a lot of positive feedback from it.

it's sort of a family heirloom - so, I don't see us getting rid of it anytime soon, especially since of the year and the fact that it's a sedan - we couldn't get enough for it selling it to make it worth considering such a thing.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The interest of 50ies cars here in Scandinavia is BIG........ 8)

There were produced 850 or so 58 Buick Limited Convertibles...There are 80 here in scandinavia 8).

and the interest for 57-61 Mopar products is HUGE...

Follow the link,and be impressed ;D

Comment

I don't see "hot rod" so much as I see the ultimate cruiser. Thinking a DeSoto Adventurer or Plymouth Fury, '57-'58...or maybe a lux'd out Buick/Olds from that era, with the right touches...slightly chopped top, chrome perfect, with decent running gear, OD, pushing high-20s MPG from whatever engine you use. Four Doors and Droptops especially..
                          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by HotRodLadyCrusr
                            Got any extra that came with the car that you might part with? If you are pals with the last owner still could you ask him if he has any extra he'd like to sell. Those are the caps I really want for Big Olds yet have been waiting to purchase them till everything else was done. Now's the time, so I have begun to look.
                            So ya like my hubcaps. I likes a lady that appreciate the finer things.
                            they are 55 fiesta, not in as much demand as the 56 fiesta ,but better looking IMO. I
                            Reading , Pa
                            Good Guys rodders rep.

Comment

Originally posted by HotRodLadyCrusr
                              So ya like my hubcaps. I likes a lady that appreciate the finer things.
                              they are 55 fiesta, not in as much demand as the 56 fiesta ,but better looking IMO. I
                              I may have some extra, not perfect, but savable. with your friends anything is possible!
                              Reading , Pa
                              Good Guys rodders rep.

Comment

Thanks but I am actually looking for almost perfect. I've been riding around for years with beat up ones that were my second style choice. I borrowed a set of the spinners for Autorama from a pal on the west coast and now I know I need/want a set just like them as the final touch. I know how much they are in perfect condition and have been starting to save and am now willing to spend the money. Please let me know if you run across any near perfect ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X