Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A day THIS car nut will remember forever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A day THIS car nut will remember forever!

AS a 17 year old Indiana farm boy in 1977 I was BIG into going fast, read ALL the big Car magazines I could read and afford, and after having had a 1965 Impala SS since Id gotten my license at 16 I then bought a 1972 Chevy Nova SS with a 350 4 bbl, 10 bolt positrac, and Muncie 4speed tranny with the prerequisite for racers and go fasters like me Hurst Competition Plus shifter with a polished "Hurst" embossed "T" handle on top.

It didnt take me long to install headers, a hotter cam,and traction bars.But I was proud of that chrome plated Hurst Shifter and even sported a big ol "Hurst" sticker on the dash with the 4 speed shift pattern on the four corners of the H behind the Hurst lettering (you old timers like me will remember that decal too). The ONLY thing I ever did to that shifter after many years of abuse and hard shifts was replace the worn out shifter bushings in 1978 and I LOVED it.

After Graduation from High School in IN. in 1978 I moved to Cheyenne WY with my folks and started going to Wyoming Technical Inst. (now WyoTech) in Laramie for their now defunct but very well thought out Parts Technician Course about 50 miles away on I-80.
    Going back to school one Monday morning I heard a voice on the CB radio asking for assistance, no one answered and the voice got louder as I got closer to it. Finally I saw a motorhome broken down along the road so I stopped. An older (50+ was a LOT older then) gentleman came up and thanked me for stopping, and told me he and his wife were on vacation and his tranny was acting up and then asked if I could give him a ride back to Cheyenne so he could call AAA to come tow him.
    I said "Sure! Hop in"

I Drove him about 25 miles back to Cheyenne and as we were driving he asked about me and what I was doing with my life, I gave him the short version of me at Wyo Tech and we made small talk for a bit ,then he said "This is a Nice car!" I said thanks and he asked about it, said,"it sounds real good" and asked what id done to it and so on, making small talk and then asked ,"How do ya like that Hurst shifter?"

I thought was a kinda strange thing to ask about but I told him that I liked it a LOT and that Id only changed the shifter bushings after they got kinda sloppy and it was good as new.

Nice guy and a nice talk (but I thought to myself "Boy! This old dude SURE does like cars!"), and we shortly ended up back in Cheyenne and he asked me to drop him off at a local restaurant and asked "[i]What do I owe you?". [/i} I said "Oh..., Nothing at all" and as he got out he said "Well...Thanks a lot" and extended his hand to shake mine (no one older had EVER done that to me and I was floored) and asked my name so I told him, and I said "No problem at all Good luck!"
    I then asked him what his name was as we shook hands and he replied, "Im George Hurst",
    Then he turned and walked inside as my mouth was hanging open!

I was simply floored, In MY car I was talking to THE guy that designed MY shifter! THE shifter!THE "Miss Hurst", "Hemi under glass" and the Hurst Oldsmobiles MR. Hurst himself!!

I drove away saying "I will NEVER forget THIS!MAN!!" and as I did I looked down at that Hurst shifter and there, on the pasenger floorboard ....laid a $50 bill.

I wish to this very day that I had had Mr. Hurst sign my shifter. Unlike the $50, I'd have kept it forever!

R.I.P. Mr.Hurst

Re: A day THIS car nut will remember forever!

pretty awesome.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I sure is. I was just so stunned I prolly looked like some sorta doofus with my mouth hanging open like that! :o
      ;D

It's been really hard for non car guys to realize just how BIG that was to me but I likely wouldnt have been any less shocked if he had been the President

Comment

That is really cool - and $50.00 back then was more than a good day's pay too. I made about $6.00 an hour on the railroad then.
        Phil / Omaha

Comment

I would not have believed it...

I did shake chuck yaegers hand, as a human. instantly puts what public does and reality in two places.

if you griped about the bushing, that would have been cool.

"stupid junk, ate a bushing."
          hahaha. ;D
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Great story ;).Thanks for sharing!

Comment

That was an awesome story!
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                That was an awesome story!
                x2!!
                COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10
                  That is really cool - and $50.00 back then was more than a good day's pay too. I made about $6.00 an hour on the railroad then.
                  It sure the heck was !! LOL I think I made about $4 an hour at my part time job then and $50 bought a tankful of Sunoco Blue and a lot of neat things for the ol Nova at the boneyard ;)

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main

I did shake chuck yaegers hand, as a human. instantly puts what public does and reality in two places.

hahaha. ;D
                    Well I dont blame ya and a lot of folks didnt believe it then either. But , I swear it's all absolutely true.I DO sure wish Id of had him autograph the shifter or something but..well young and dumb (now m just dumb LOL), and floored to boot I just didnt think of it till later. Sure would have put the doubters to rest and Id have loved to have had that piece of go fast history now. I KNOW id of pulled that shifter when i sold the Nova eventually AND likely still have it proudly displayed. VERY Cool!

LOL I thought about that (the bushings) as well and thought "Oh Man what IF i'd griped about that shifter..."Oh boy!! LOL

Chuck Yeager..Dude! Ive been fairly fortunate to have met a few folks back then while living in Cheyenne and Working at Little America there and Frontier Days bringing in some pretty big names such as Charlie Pride (One of the 1st Black Big Time Country Music singers), Ginella Hutton and Kenny Rogers, and even got to tour Charlie Daniels tour bus and talk with Charlie for a bit! Talk about a down to earth, everyday kinda guy!

It sure woulda been funny to see Mr Hursts face IF I HAD said something bad about the shifter though , you're rightLOLOL

Thanks Guys. It was definitly something I will NEVER forget!

Comment

Originally posted by Blu
                      Originally posted by boxer3main

hahaha. ;D
                      Well I dont blame ya and a lot of folks didnt believe it then either. But , I swear it's all absolutely true.I DO sure wish Id of had him autograph the shifter or something but..well young and dumb (now m just dumb LOL), and floored to boot I just didnt think of it till later. Sure would have put the doubters to rest and Id have loved to have had that piece of go fast history now. I KNOW id of pulled that shifter when i sold the Nova eventually AND likely still have it proudly displayed. VERY Cool!

LOL I thought about that (the bushings) as well and thought "Oh Man what IF i'd griped about that shifter..."Oh boy!! LOL

Chuck Yeager..Dude! Ive been fairly fortunate to have met a few folks back then while living in Cheyenne and Working at Little America there and Frontier Days bringing in some pretty big names such as Charlie Pride (One of the 1st Black Big Time Country Music singers), Ginella Hutton and Kenny Rogers, and even got to tour Charlie Daniels tour bus and talk with Charlie for a bit! Talk about a down to earth, everyday kinda guy!

It sure woulda been funny to see Mr Hursts face IF I HAD said something bad about the shifter though , you're rightLOLOL

Thanks Guys. It was definitly something I will NEVER forget!
                      I don't know about the rest of these guys, but I get star struck; and your story reminds me of that. I meet celebrities/public officials pretty often (although, I'm not in Scott Ligget's league) - and I still get nervous when I meet them.... of course, after meeting most of them, I loathe them... but that's a totally different post ;D
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I steped on Don Prudhome's foot once....true story
                        Originally posted by TC
                        also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

As Children,we(thank's to Mom's Fashion/Modeling/Photography 'Thing'...)met LOTS of famous People. I've met:-Raymond Lowey(the 'Father' of Streamlining...),Frank-Loyd-Wright,Henry Dryfus,Jack Benny,Jimmy Durante,Joe Flynn(from it's a Mad,Mad,Mad,Mad World and Machales'((SP?))Navy...)Ernest Borgnine,ect,ect. Soooo many Folks I've met,but after age 18 or so,that sort of stopped. ~J/W.

Comment

What was Raymond Lowey like? He's one of my heros! Just look at the '53 Studebaker and you'll know why. EVERYTHING was So far ahead of it's time - compare and contrast with a '53 Ford or Chevy. Not even in the same league, design-wise. So I always wondered what he was like.

BTW - he was an industrial designer by trade and designed, among other things, the Coke bottle as we know it still today.

Dan

Comment

Great story.........and we probably crossed
                              paths back in '78.

When I lived in Lincoln, NE I traveled
                              out the Cheyenne, WY area.

I remember the first time I saw Little America....biggest
                              damn truck stop ever!
                              Place is huge.
                              The hotel was great as well.

My first night there.....as I was walking down
                              the hallway to my room (the room keys were the size
                              of a Texas belt buckle).....I went to unlock the door.......I swear
                              there was an electrical arc of 5 feet between the key and the door.

Humidity was so low out there the static electricity was terrible.
                              When you threw back the blanket on the bed......with the lights off
                              it looked like a small electrical storm.

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Working...
                              X