Skipping remedial math

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skipping remedial math

After a 17 year hiatus I am re-entering academia. I retook my math placement exam today and scored into math1000, I am ecstatic. A couple of months ago I took the exam and placed into "remedial" math classes, you know the kind that costs lots of money and takes all that time but is worth no credit. So I have spent the last couple of months with a tutor studying hard and it payed off. I am so excited I had to tell the world.

Re: Skipping remedial math

Congratulations to you Bill. If your school has a "math lab" take full advantage of it, trust me on this!
    "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin
      Congratulations to you Bill. If your school has a "math lab" take full advantage of it, trust me on this!
      great advice there Matt, sounds like Willis is trying to get his shit togeather and you want to send him down the road of self destruction, Willis pay no attenion to Pumkin, years of self abuse has ruined the boy..If i said it a million times.....OH ...shit.....never mind, thought he said Meth lab....my bad
      Never kick a fresh Turd on a hot day.....Harry S Truman

Comment

Originally posted by fine59
        Originally posted by Pumpkin
        great advice there Matt, sounds like Willis is trying to get his shit togeather and you want to send him down the road of self destruction, Willis pay no attenion to Pumkin, years of self abuse has ruined the boy..If i said it a million times.....OH ...shit.....never mind, thought he said Meth lab....my bad
        LOL ;D
        I R Bob
        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

That is cool, I did college later in life and that college level Algebra after 10+ years after highschool (where I FAILED algebra by sleeping in class) was a total be-atch and the discrete mathematics after that was even worse.
          I had to break down and get a tutor a few times to get that goofy discrete math sh1t into my thick head.
          I aced both classes but the effort was no small task. :P I'm frankly exhausted just thinking about it :D
          Good luck!

Comment

Any advice on working a full time job and pursuing a degree simultaneously?
            The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Yeah, Gene......DON'T DO IT!!!!!

But seriously, folks - I did fine without a degree but I'm afraid those days are over (unless your boss is named "Dad" or "Mom"). Math was my undoing as my brain just doesn't work that way. English, History, stuff like that I just walked thru. I found out later on that I have numerical dyslexia - numbers move around for me but letters are OK.

Anyhow, GOOD ON YA for getting this together. And good luck on your educational efforts, although it doesn't sound like luck is needed.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer
                Don't plan on having a social life...or a lot of sleep.
                Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

I hope you're not looking for advice from me, I'm just starting. That is one thing that has me concerned, but I think I'll do alright. Currently I work construction, so during the winter I have all the time I can stand.

Thanks for all the congrats. I'm pretty excited.

Comment

BRAVO YOU ARE A MATH WINNER!!!
                    Catholic School put me off of math for life! I had an ex-army seargent Nun teacher, Sister Elizabeth, in the days when they wore full habits with a cross hanging from a belt. If you didn't know what you were doing you spent the entire class at the board being made an example of...I was the star!
                    I stopped attempting to balance a check book at the age of 22...
                    Now I just let Loren or the girls figure out math stuff. Inside my head literally swirls when I hear numbers and what you are supposed to do with them, time for some Animal Planet or Simpsons or Laundry etc. anything not math related.
                    ;D
                    ~Gail
                    That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Gail, you are my sister from another mother! But I always figured that that's why the Creator made engineers. Give 'em a math problem and they'll happily nurdle on it for hours.

Dan

Comment

Grin and bear it.
                        I finished a few years ago now and I honestly don't know how i did it.

A friend is just finishing up the thrash too. We have talked frequently in the past on this subject.
                        First clear your plate on extra shit whereever possible and have a supportive wife/husband. We had our first child while I was working and finishing college so for me that plan was out the window, then we built a new house too. Have I mentioned I'm an idiot.

Basically break the year into simisters (including summer :P) and focus on what your doing for only the next 4 mohths. Actually it's not unlike restoring a car by yourslef.
                        Pick one small thing, get it done, repeat.

At the end of each simester make sure to celebrate for a while. :D

Comment

I hate math and im horrible at it, just thought i would say that

Comment

I guess that about "sums" it up Stewie............................
                            Phil / Omaha

Comment

How can you be a gearhead and not like, or at least have a general grasp, of mathematics ???
                              Engine clearances, gear ratios, deck height, bore, stroke, balancing your checkbook after ordering parts, and on and on. All math.

Comment

Working...
                              X