Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David E Davis is dead...

80 years old.

Wrote and oversaw some awesome stuff. The 1964 Pontiac GTO versus Ferrari GTO story was epic....especially because there wasn't a Ferrari GTO within 100 miles of the testing!

One of the true giants...gone.

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Re: David E Davis is dead...

He was a true character. Bigger than the magazines he wrote for.

Comment

Rest in peace, wheelman...
      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Ya know, I never read much of his stuff.
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

RIP- One of the true car writers. I will miss his columns in the mags. one less reason to subscribe.

Comment

I did not get int auto writings until the net..as it turns out this david davis was something to do with the places I went to read.

I had to look up who he was, here is a quote

He received a standing ovation for the speech, which delved into the triumphs and tragedies of his personal life, including a race car accident at age 25 which left his face severely disfigured and required extensive plastic surgery. After that, he said, "I suddenly understood with great clarity that nothing in life ? except death itself ? was ever going to kill me. No meeting could ever go that badly. No client would ever be that angry. No business error would ever bring me as close to the brink as I had already been."
            RIP.

I donlt know how guys write and stay happy, unless they bullshit themself. some people seem natural I guess.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

they're all getting up there..
              R.I.P.

Comment

I'm happy that he got to live so long, sad to see him go.

He transformed Car and Driver from a boring review magazine to a monthly epic of fun. Not entirely unlike what Clarkson did with Top Gear. He later founded Automobile magazine after a falling out with the owners of Car and Driver, taking my favorite writer (Jean Lindamood Jennings) with him.

Comment

It was a happy day when Automobile landed in Ann Arbor. I used to drive past the office on Hogback Road and see what was in the parking lot. My next door neighbor wrote for them (Brad Damnificanremember) so sometimes he'd drive some cool stuff home. I never met Mr. Davis but he was a player in this world, for sure.

Dan

Comment

Mr. Davis was a true car guy... Seemed to have thing for Suburbans... ;D

Comment

Huge mustache...that's what I'll remember.

Comment

RIP

Comment

RIP DeD. A real legend in his own time

Dammit, he was one I'd wanted to have a drink with before he slipped this mortal coil. I really need to meet PJ O'Rourke, Peter Egan and Brock Yates before I do the same.
                          Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

R.I.P prayers for his family, sounds like a intresting guy!
                            COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

It is my understanding that Yates is headed down the sad path of Alzheimer's disease.
                              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
                              X