Low E Windows are they worth it??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low E Windows are they worth it??

Over the last week I've been swapping out my old single pane aluminum windows for the dual pane vinyl low E windows, so what do you guys think about the upgrade, is it really worth it and do you feel it'll pay for itself??

Or did I just waste a bunch of money?? :-\

Re: Low E Windows are they worth it??

my dad upgraded from single pane wood framed windows to the type you installed...he lives in PA...growing up the house was hot in the summer and freezing in the winter...he says it is like a new house...downright amazing the difference..he saved quite a bit in heating this pat winter as well.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

The dual pane is DEFINITELY worth the expense. I'll be curious to hear what the guys say about the low-E. They're really popular here with our extreme sun and high Summer temps but I don't know how much practical difference there is.

Dan

Comment

My sister upgraded and she was amazed at the difference.
        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

My house came with them, but it would certainly be high on my priority of house improvements if the house hadn't come with them.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I'd guess that it's definitely worth it in areas where it gets really cold. Not so much where you are Alex. Heat transfer is proportional to temperature difference, and in Phx if you're trying to keep the house around 75 degrees inside, you have a 40 degree max temp difference between inside and outside, on the coldest and hottest days. A lot of the time the difference is much less than that. Where it gets cold (like zero for long times) the temperature difference is a lot higher, so more energy is wasted keeping the house warm.

If the new windows make your house more comfortable for you, then it wasn't a waste of money.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

For what it's worth, the triple pane windows are even better.
              Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

for you.. it might be a waste..
                but you do get a tax credit so.

it should help with the a/c cost if the apartments are insulated
                if they aren't you spent extra money.. for not much..
                the tax credit should offset any extra money spent..
                so

Comment

I think it's money well spent .... not sure about the low E rating, but double and even triple panes are money well spent. It lessens outside noise, helps insulate, and improves the value of the home. Be sure and check into any public service rebates or tax credits, with the green thought process nowadays, there is a lot of $$$ available to help offset the cost.
                  Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Well worth the money. Especially on those really hot days.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax
                      For what it's worth, the triple pane windows are even better.
                      I believe that too.

long periods of zero here is a double pane loss..they frost up just like an old house.
                      it is excellent for wind, doubled.
                      I wonder what loses in the triple. all windows lose.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
                        I think it's money well spent .... not sure about the low E rating, but double and even triple panes are money well spent. It lessens outside noise, helps insulate, and improves the value of the home. Be sure and check into any public service rebates or tax credits, with the green thought process nowadays, there is a lot of $$$ available to help offset the cost.
                        Todays :D
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                          Originally posted by Bamfster
                          Todays :D
                          HA!.....
                          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I read dilbert every day, this one is a goody

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I just had all new triple pane low E's installed in our new place.... 195.00 per window installed for standard size.....the 40x96 XOX was only 375.00 installed..3 patio doors..525.00 ea....guess the really needed the work...BTW...Milguard Windows....with custom grids.
                              The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X