Jon Lundberg to announce Detroit Dragway Reunion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon Lundberg to announce Detroit Dragway Reunion

My buddy Jeff Conley posted this on his FB page. Jeff is the new track manager at Milan Dragway. I thought you all might be interested as Jon Lundberg is a BS member:

"JON LUNDBERG TO ANNOUNCE AT THE DETROIT DRAGWAY REUNIONby Detroit Dragway Reunion on Sunday, March 27, 2011 at 11:07pm

Detroit Dragway's hey-day took place over an 11-year period from 1962-1972. For the young car enthusiast - it was a time of Motown Records, Muscle cars, Woodward Avenue, and DEETROIT DRAGWA-A-AY!!. Viewing all of this - and reporting on same over the drag strip's public address system - was a Lansing-ite named Jon Lundberg. As the a= Annual Detroit Dragway Reunion takes place at Milan Dragway, Saturday, May 21, that era will be recalled by Lundberg as he revisits Michigan to share those halcyon days for both the education and entertainment of succeeding generation spectators.

The "Supremes" acted-out voice-sync renditions of their latest release on the return road and car maker race teams previewed their weekly "updates"; the racing often lasted until dawn. Movie producers recognized that if you wanted to pitch that latest "Annette & Frankie" beach flick or youth market exploitation film, you'd better book a Saturday night promotional stop at Detroit Dragway. It was here, in 1962, that the vaunted "two-voice screamer" radio commercial was launched over the public address system to build Detroit Dragway's Sunday attendance. Who can forget, "SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDA-A-A-AY-Y-Y!!!" blasting out from CKLW as OJ Joel Sebastian played "youth generation" anthems.

During that period, drag racing underwent a paradigm change. Optimal drag race passenger car design evolved from a full-size "bubble-top" production sedan - powered by a 427 big block Chevrolet V-8 or a "side-oiler" FE Ford racing engine, through lightweight purpose-built 2-doors, to midsize Dodge and Plymouth 413's, to 426-hemis and Ford Thunderbolts, to altered-wheelbase "Factory Experimental" cars. Over a 6-month period during 1965, power escalated from 500 - horsepower carbureted engines, through fuel injection to supercharged engines developing over 1,000! In 1966 Lincoln-Mercury one-upped the entire field with introduction of the first separate bodyframe, production look-alike race vehicles which were soon nicknamed "Funny cars". Pontiac's 1964 GTO launched the muscle car era which lasted through 1972. All of this development took place within 50 miles of Detroit Dragway.

The sport's fastest cars - dragsters - also underwent a paradigm change to behind-the-driver engine location from the time-honored engine-out-front configuration. Top Speed and Elapsed Time performances steadily improved with many records being set at "Dix & Sibley", the track's location.

After holding multiple national-caliber events, Detroit Dragway aged - closed and opened intermittently - to finally end its days in 1998. A warehouse complex has now claimed its acreage. One of the first lesse~'s was Ford Motor Company. For his part, Jon Lundberg went-on to become known throughout North America as ''The Voice of Drag Racing" appearing at more than 130 drag strips over the next 40 years.

But for that golden era between 1962 and 1972, Detroit Dragway was the epi-center whereat the Midwest's original car-oriented "youth culture" celebrated their coming-of-age. Those memories will live again during the 2nd Annual Detroit Dragway Reunion."

I wish I could go...

Ron

It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Re: Jon Lundberg to announce Detroit Dragway Reunion

I was there as often as I could get a ride. It was great times!

Dan

Comment

I've tagged this add on here before - but it brings back good memories. I grew up less than 10 miles from there.
      Have fun Jon -

May 7, 1966 Detroit Dragway radio commercial with pictures from the era.
      Phil / Omaha

Comment

I'm working that weekend in Nashville or I would want to be there with Jon. He rules all. Seriously one of the most genuinely cool people.

Anyone who gets the chance needs to meet Jon. Watch out for his bear hugs though, they'll kill you!

Congrats Jon!
        "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Gonna try to make it with the Fairlane

Comment

Oh man - Now I got to go! ^^^
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Hope to see many BangShifters there. Please stop by and say, "hi".

Jon Lundberg
              Jon W. Lundberg, Sr., RETIRED

Comment

spent most of my youth grooving to the smooth tones of LEWIS BLOOM at raceway park ....

Comment

Working...
                X