how not to drive a corvette at 200+ mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: how not to drive a corvette at 200+ mph

I'm thinking, the right rear wheel, because of the filmsy lightweight spoke-design, just couldn't handle the power and broke during the run. Loosing power on the rightside wheel, leaving only the driverside wheel pushing forward, would force the car to turn right.
    The puff of smoke in the clip IMO is the rr-wheel breaking up.

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I dont know, but you can here the cross wind in the mike, and at that speed it not take much lift to unload the tires.
      and smoke one side.
      either way, it was n't good
      title is misleading as that wasn't the drivers fault..

Comment

Maybe next time they will use light weight racing wheels. :o
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
          wouldn't zo6 wheels need to be good to 200+ and 600+hp
          I don't think the cars power broke it..
          I think the cross wind lifting the drivers side and the pass side grab'n turned the car then the force on the wheel at 200+ sideways did it in..
          if the wheel didn't fail something else would have

Comment

Let's get a couple things straight here. I like Hinsons. They were way cool on Drag Week and they build cool cars. I like the Texas Mile and think it sounds like a cool event.

With that said. The Hinsons are idiots for building that car, with that money, and that level of components, and not installing a cage. Plain and simple. It is stupid. If there isn't tubing running across the top of the windshield from side to side and then down to the floor, it is not a cage. It is a roll bar. Not the same, and not enough for the speeds they are going. Period. They are dumb.

The Texas Mile promoters are also dumb. Stupid stupid stupid! Put rules in place that are right and you will get the right competitors. Don't and you will kill someone. This would never happen in the ECTA, but if that car was allowed to go 224 at Maxton I would be ashamed of the ECTA.

Remember gang, I've spun going over 230 at Bonneville. I was safe, the car was unhurt, and it all worked out. But when the car went around and I could hear the front air dam dragging the ground as the ass end is trying to fly, all that tubing was feeling real good to Chad.

If you have the balls to build something that will go that fast, have the balls to race it like a big boy and that means a cage.
            "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Originally posted by Tazracing
              Originally posted by milner351
              wouldn't zo6 wheels need to be good to 200+ and 600+hp
              I don't think the cars power broke it..
              I think the cross wind lifting the drivers side and the pass side grab'n turned the car then the force on the wheel at 200+ sideways did it in..
              if the wheel didn't fail something else would have
              There's speculation they weren't OEM wheels but widened aftermarket replicas. Either way, over 200 definitely requires a racing wheel, and probably a dedicated LSR or racing tire. A Veyron will blow it's stock tires off in short order at full steam and those are designed for it.
              Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

At the least they are not the correct wheel for the rear. Stock z06 vettes come with a 19x12 wheel. The tire tread shown looks to me like a M/T et street radial II, which is only available up to 18".

Comment

Man am I glad to hear Chad say that.

I know the Hinsons, I helped them reflash a BigStuff3 in a dark parking lot at the Pump Gas Drags in 06... they are great guys. I am betting they just built what their customer wanted. Still... grrrrr

I am being asked to tune a car for an event I don't think is safe either and grappling with just not doing it... but then again, it's the owner's wish and he wants me on the project... grrrrr

But in my mind, the people who operate the Texas Mile are the ones to focus anger towards. That is CRAZY allowing cars to go that fast with laughable safety equipment! Shame on them!
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Ya never think it's going to happen to you till it does. I'm not sure about the aerodynamics of the stock vette at that speed. Hinson is lucky the car stopped rolling after the first one. I don't think he would have walked away from a multiple roll crash.

Comment

Bottom line. The Driver walked away. NOW He'll learn from this whole mess. But will the Promoters :P? ~J/W.

Comment

well im gunna try to make the may event and take a very very big lense with me, anybody got a credit card with a big spending limit so that I can rent a lense for the weekend ? ;D
                        Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

thought about checking out the texas mile, its close enough to maybe go
                          COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Working...
                          X