Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MAJOR RULE CHANGES COMING TO NHRA PRO STOCK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MAJOR RULE CHANGES COMING TO NHRA PRO STOCK?

While the kick off here was entertaining. I'd like to see up updated cylinder head rules, where Chryslers could run updated Hemi heads and Fords could Boss 9 derived heads and the Chevies run the their already updated corporate DRC stuff.

That and lose the funny car bodies. Oh and EFI of course.
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by Tazracing
      you keep say'n they can't do this they can't do that, it's sealed.. unless it's a spec engine that the team doesn't tune..
      if they tune their own fuel management, then they is a port on that "sealed box" to down load the engine tune..
      correct???????
      if so, a credit card sized item can downlaod a different tune after the run..
      come on, say they'll be running a sealed spec engine and not touching the tune up..
      if a "tune" consists of a VE table, an ignition table, and basic stuff like accellerator pump... and nothing else - what is your credit card going to download? I know that one of the systems in use, had two separate computers linked by a CAN network - one CPU controls the engine, the other manages the fuel table. The first CPU's firmware has to be burnt at the factory before assembly of the system - this it can't ever be reflashed, programmed, etc ever again.

Like I said already, this has been done for years already - lets see YOU hack one first, then come back and show us how it's done.

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

If I were you, I'd go out and get some experience with EFI computers so you can get out of the dark ages, and start getting at least a few facts straight. It would help your case dramatically, and yes, we know you have little money and are on meds etc. etc.
        I'm with taz.
        the ecu crowd does believe in magic, forgetting it is electricity and a pouncing clock with a certian hertz feeding it like gas to a carb...much less efficiently.

I have hacked ecus by changing a single power resistor and build my own computers.

you know what needs to get out of the stone age? car ecus themselves...
        in fact computers are so primitive it is sickening. my own sanity involves startig a 3psi carb engine and going for a real singular fired ride on a real draft..

let the racers run both. it is about winning or losing.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main
          We can ALL agree on this, yes??
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
            That would be awesome, kind of like AMA SuperCross used to run the 4 strokes against the 2 strokes in the transitional years when going to 4 strokes............

Now what gets me is can 8 injectors even even supply 2500hp or are they going to need to run 2 or maybe even 3 injectors per cylinder?? And at that how much HP do they think they can get out 358ci's??

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
              That would be awesome, kind of like AMA SuperCross used to run the 4 strokes against the 2 strokes in the transitional years when going to 4 strokes............

Now what gets me is can 8 injectors even even supply 2500hp or are they going to need to run 2 or maybe even 3 injectors per cylinder?? And at that how much HP do they think they can get out 358ci's??

what junkyard injectors won't do..
              d/g what is the cost for injectors that flow enough fuel for 2500hp+ 800,?? each
              we've heard that the 4 and 5 circuit carbs are 10g's..
              what is this efi system gonna end up costing..
              and I wonder if these injectors will end up like other parts on pro racers list of "use it for x amount of runs then replace"
              can get costly quick

Comment

Originally posted by Tazracing

what junkyard injectors won't do..
                d/g what is the cost for injectors that flow enough fuel for 2500hp+ 800,?? each
                we've heard that the 4 and 5 circuit carbs are 10g's..
                what is this efi system gonna end up costing..
                and I wonder if these injectors will end up like other parts on pro racers list of "use it for x amount of runs then replace"
                can get costly quick
                What's Larry Larson's Nova kicking out for HP? It's EFI'd. I'm guessing two per cylinder will be enough ???

Comment

Mark, try to remember that nowhere did I say Warren Johnson is going to have to go to a junkyard to get his injectors. I think yuo're confusing this thread with the 900 others where you turn it into NO ONE CAN AFFORD IT

I can assure you, pro stock can afford it. by a lot. We ran one just fine with a basic FASt XFI system and an MSD distributor. Guess what? that $2000 package, plus injectors ($1100 for a set of IDI's which come as high as 200+ lb/hr, more than enough for any current or other pro stock engine on gasoline) plus even the finest Weldon pump and regulator, plus a hick tuner (all that's needed) is going to cost a fraction of the money spent on purchasing, modifying, and tuning a carburetor for the same engine. EFI is here, it's better than carbs in most cases, either get with the program or get smashed by it :-)
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Apparently doable.

Don't know the costs, but pretty cool site to check out.

*And this is on Methanol, which requires a ton more fuel flow

Comment

And at that how much HP do they think they can get out 358ci's??
                      I tuned Bennet Racing (Ford) engine near that displacement that made 2100hp all year long with a big Procharger. In a NMRA superstreet outlaw car. They hardly ever broke parts, of course that's one of the many other benefits of EFI these guys must be looking forward to. Er, to which they are looking forward. :-\

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                        Mark, try to remember that nowhere did I say Warren Johnson is going to have to go to a junkyard to get his injectors. I think yuo're confusing this thread with the 900 others where you turn it into NO ONE CAN AFFORD IT

I can assure you, pro stock can afford it. by a lot. We ran one just fine with a basic FASt XFI system and an MSD distributor. Guess what? that $2000 package, plus injectors ($1100 for a set of IDI's which come as high as 200+ lb/hr, more than enough for any current or other pro stock engine on gasoline) plus even the finest Weldon pump and regulator, plus a hick tuner (all that's needed) is going to cost a fraction of the money spent on purchasing, modifying, and tuning a carburetor for the same engine. EFI is here, it's better than carbs in most cases, either get with the program or get smashed by it :-)
                        I was being sarcastic..
                        and prostock can't really afford it, car count is down.. sponsers are down..
                        I asked a question, what would the cost be, fair question. I think

Comment

In which case they'll save money with EFI. I think Pro Stock is suffering from the same thing as the fuel ranks; it takes really big budgets and know how to be competitive especially with the essentially mandated spec cars and engines they are running.

Randal, thanks for the post re Moran's injectors. They have some great YouTube video re how much those monster will flow and the dispersion pattern. I'd be willing to bet a round of beers at DW that those are what Larry Larson has on his car and maybe only eight of them.
                          Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Everybody is acting like this is new technology, Pat Musi, Harold Martin and Mike Moran have been running efi for years succesfully, some of the turbo combo's are making 3500-4000+ h.p. with efi, prostock would be a drop in the bucket.

Comment

match racers don't break

go hang out in the NHRA pro stock pits and watch how many parts they burn through

Comment

Originally posted by kelly andersen
                                Everybody is acting like this is new technology, Pat Musi, Harold Martin and Mike Moran have been running efi for years succesfully, some of the turbo combo's are making 3500-4000+ h.p. with efi, prostock would be a drop in the bucket.
                                those are N2O cars , I say lets run both ....good idea .....

Comment

Working...
                                X