Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MAJOR RULE CHANGES COMING TO NHRA PRO STOCK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAJOR RULE CHANGES COMING TO NHRA PRO STOCK?

NHRA's Pro Stock 500 cubic inch engine is dead.
    ps_final
    In a suprising announcement made late last evening, the California-based sanctioning body announced the popular Pro Stock division would transition to a new 358-cubic inch engine beginning in 2012.

?This is a necessary step to keep the Pro Stock division in step with manufacturers who work so dilligently to maintain identity between the cars and the fans,? explained NHRA President Tom Compton. ?In addition, the move to a 358 engine will further assist engine builders, like Roush/Yates, to gain a foothold in the business of Pro Stock.

?We have held discussions with several team owners, drivers and engine builders concerning the timing of this change since 2009. When it became obvious the competitors couldn't come to an agreement on when or how to make the transistion, we stepped up our efforts and are now ready to eliminate the monster-bore motors.?

A glimpse of the new engine package rules, provided by an unnamed engine builder, will not just change the size of the engine, but will eliminate the need for the monstrous hood scoop which clearly identifies a Pro Stock car. The new engine will derive it's horsepower from twin turbos which promise to further increase the speeds in the quarter mile run. The use of nitrous oxide, legally for the first time, in conjunction with under the hood superchargers, could project the class to the role of the world?s quickest and fastest doorslammers.

?Yes, they'll go faster,? admitted Graham Light, who caught a sideways glance from Compton during the interview. ?We believe the new package, which we have tested for the past six months, could put the Pro Stock contingent in the 272 to 275 miles per hour range.?

Disputing those numbers, one engine builder remarked, ?Once we get a few laps under our belts there is no reason we shouldn't be able to run 275-280 and after a couple of years we could be knocking on the door of the 285 mile per hour barrier, making Pro Stock more exciting than Top Fuel or Funny Car.?

Some former champions of the class, who wished to remain anonymous, stated they would quit NHRA and go run ADRL if the change was made.

?We've got too much invested in our current equipment to just junk it all. I am not sure what those morons in Glendora are thinking, but I can assure you they aren't thinking about the current Pro Stock teams and drivers. As far as I am concerned, if this engine change isn't rescinded I am done with the NHRA.?

Faced with the possibility of mass exodus by the drivers and teams, some who said they would rather run in the IHRA's pre-programmed ?Dragscapade? shows, Bobby Bennett, former owner and editor of Competitionplus.com and newly appointed NHRA Director of Pro Stock Competition, simply stuck a finger in each ear, stuck out his tongue and winked.

Before you laugh, a stock bodied car has run as fast as 252 miles per hour on the Bonneville Salt Flats

sigpic

Re: MAJOR RULE CHANGES COMING TO NHRA PRO STOCK?

NOOOOOOOO!!!!

:D
    sigpic

Comment

April Fools?

I did hear that ProStock is going EFI and that was a few weeks back. No April Fools either. So it is safe to say they'll be going faster... ;)
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Jason Line made that efi comment on wind tunnel with Dave Dispain a couple weeks back.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

want efi ? run comp

Comment

Carl Olsen, NHRA: No time in the foreseeable future. Pro Stock is healthy now, with extremely close competition. If it ain?t broke, why fix it? EFI could cause big problems. The sophisticated microprocessors used with EFI systems can do more than just meter fuel. The technology already exists to drive the car by itself. Factory-backed favorites could gain an unfair advantage using EFI.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
              Carl Olsen, NHRA: No time in the foreseeable future. Pro Stock is healthy now, with extremely close competition. If it ain?t broke, why fix it? EFI could cause big problems. The sophisticated microprocessors used with EFI systems can do more than just meter fuel. The technology already exists to drive the car by itself. Factory-backed favorites could gain an unfair advantage using EFI.
              sounds like a quote from another guy who's never used EFI. why do people think EFI is magic? it's not hard to police. Here come the tinfoil hat ideas anyway though.
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                sounds like a quote from another guy who's never used EFI. why do people think EFI is magic? it's not hard to police. Here come the tinfoil hat ideas anyway though.
                D/G can you download a new tune in the time it takes to hook the car up and tow it down the return road?
                I'll bet yes, so it WOULD be hard to police. if you think teams wouldn't find ways around the rules, I got a bridge..
                they do it with everything else and efi would be no different..
                ANYTHING with a computer can be hacked, no matter what seal you put on it.
                you know this..it's not news to you.
                why do you think, a race cars efi would be different than the norm..

Comment

Pro stock is healthy???? 17 cars is not healthy,I remember when you used to have 30+ cars trying to make the field. I think somebody needs to step away from the pipe. Their has been alot of teams that have already tested with efi and are ready to go if they ever make the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Tazracing
                    Originally posted by dieselgeek
                    D/G can you download a new tune in the time it takes to hook the car up and tow it down the return road?
                    I'll bet yes, so it WOULD be hard to police. if you think teams wouldn't find ways around the rules, I got a bridge..
                    they do it with everything else and efi would be no different..
                    ANYTHING with a computer can be hacked, no matter what seal you put on it.
                    you know this..it's not news to you.
                    why do you think, a race cars efi would be different than the norm..
                    100% wrong. How do I know this? Because I have designed and implemented hundreds of EFI computers. I could personally set up a system, today, that would be both suitable for ProStock racing AND guarantee that nobody is going to "hack" anything.

Each time we have this discussion, you claim that EFI will be "HACKED" and people will be "CHEATING" except, the ideas you come up with for how these people would cheat, do not make any sense. Lack of knowledge about a subject does not make your own disinformed and imaginative speculation factual.

What if ProStock gets the same box as NASCAR? nobody's "hacking" a computer that doesn't even have an interface for changing programming or firmware - just like you or nobody else is going to hack their toaster oven or electronic toothbrush.

If I were you, I'd go out and get some experience with EFI computers so you can get out of the dark ages, and start getting at least a few facts straight. It would help your case dramatically, and yes, we know you have little money and are on meds etc. etc.

Comment

you keep say'n they can't do this they can't do that, it's sealed.. unless it's a spec engine that the team doesn't tune..
                      if they tune their own fuel management, then they is a port on that "sealed box" to down load the engine tune..
                      correct???????
                      if so, a credit card sized item can downlaod a different tune after the run..
                      come on, say they'll be running a sealed spec engine and not touching the tune up..

Comment

hack

Comment

if there is a harness , it can be hacked

Comment

if there is a harness , it can be hacked
                            uhhhh.... maybe on NCIS or if that Chloe chick gets a hold of it, but out here in the real world, not so much.

Comment

I don't think tuning will be outlawed, they're allowed to tune their engines now.

Comment

Working...
                              X