Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If this isn't bangshifty, I don't know what is....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If this isn't bangshifty, I don't know what is....

This is a DIYautotune.com customer. You gotta love an intrepid megasquirter!

it's obviously running WAY rich. but there's definitely the potential there.also, it'be obvious that cooling will not be a major issue.
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Re: If this isn't bangshifty, I don't know what is....

This is just ridicoulous!!! :D
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

a tad rich

Comment

Gotta start somewhere.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I know, I'm just shoked it fired that rich..
          back to my lowering blocks

Comment

Originally posted by Tazracing
            a tad rich
            I think all of them even in tune do that for several minutes..quite the thumper. ???
            this one did not stop. I would assume rich too.

is this the car using a subaru transmission?

Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

effing awesome...just posted it on the front page.
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

a tad rich
                Air cooled engines have to run super fat, that's one of the ways they control the temperature. He's going to need it fat with the limited cooling he's going to have.

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

na, some fogger nozzles and a tank of co2 will cool it.. if shot like a nos purge and on the finns
                  my poor puch moped was never the same.. hehe

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                    a tad rich
                    Air cooled engines have to run super fat, that's one of the ways they control the temperature. He's going to need it fat with the limited cooling he's going to have.
                    I love this thing to death, but even I, the optimist of all optimists have a tough time thinking that this baby is going to live for 24 hours on a road course. I think the constant throttling up and down will be the death of it.

All that being said, this is one of the neatest, craziest, zaniest, fun, insane, projects I have ever seen.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                      Originally posted by dieselgeek
                      a tad rich
                      I love this thing to death, but even I, the optimist of all optimists have a tough time thinking that this baby is going to live for 24 hours on a road course. I think the constant throttling up and down will be the death of it.

All that being said, this is one of the neatest, craziest, zaniest, fun, insane, projects I have ever seen.

Brian
                      If it only moves ten feet under it's own power, it's still badder asser than anything I'll *ever* do. I want to meet this guy so bad...

I'm not sure about THAT specific radial, but the Pratt & Whitneys in more common planes like the DC3 have a major problem with deceleration. The motors kill themselves almost instantly if you "coast" them at all. i.e., if you point the car downhill leaving the engine in gear - they do not like to have vacuum, I am not sure why that is - maybe one of our readers here will explain why. I know from flying shotgun in a few radial equipped aircraft, it's a major no-no to do that.

Comment

You know, there is a company that makes radial engine motorcycles, so perhaps there's modifications that can be made, either that or the motorcycle engine is a modern pieces with some enhancements to overcome the problem.

During our visit to the New England Air Museum, I talked to an old timer that said these radial engines (we were talking about some oldies) like to be run at WFO and are not really happy anywhere else.

I agree that this car moving an inch under it's own power, even three feet, is a win.

Comment

probalby sucks oil in the lower cylinders?

That's definitely one of the better engine swaps around! hope he gets it running right and driving...gonna be a blast in traffic
                          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

During our visit to the New England Air Museum, I talked to an old timer that said these radial engines (we were talking about some oldies) like to be run at WFO and are not really happy anywhere else.

That is a fact..much like a turine engine..what kills a turbine is the starts and shutdowns...the heat cycles...A T-56 like I work on when used as a generator or a pump (what they were originally designed for) will run for a year before they are shutdown for maintenace, then they fire them back up again and run em till its time for maintenace. However, when used as an acft engine...they crack and break all the time. I suspect the same thing will be an issue for this little radial. Lots of problems...but my god how efing awesome! WAY better than an LSX swap! :P
                            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2

That is a fact..much like a turine engine..what kills a turbine is the starts and shutdowns...the heat cycles...A T-56 like I work on when used as a generator or a pump (what they were originally designed for) will run for a year before they are shutdown for maintenace, then they fire them back up again and run em till its time for maintenace. However, when used as an acft engine...they crack and break all the time. I suspect the same thing will be an issue for this little radial. Lots of problems...but my god how efing awesome! WAY better than an LSX swap! :P
                              More proof that aircraft love to fly and hate just about everything else.
                              That's an Allison T-56 turboprop not a Tremec/Borg-Warner 6spd transmission.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                              X