Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bouncy Ride on Concrete (99 Silverado Z71)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bouncy Ride on Concrete (99 Silverado Z71)

Howdy,

I have a drive to the Denver International Airport tomorrow where lots of the freeway is concrete. The ride is intollerably bouncy, like in a harmonic sort of way, when I'm on concrete between ~60-68mph. The truck's a regular cab long bed with E range tires. I have the fronts at ~42psi and the rears at ~38. Any suggestions on tire pressures to try to kill this dang bounce?

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: Bouncy Ride on Concrete (99 Silverado Z71)

put some weight in the bed

Comment

Comment

wife's 99 silverado (2wd) goes nuts on a stretch of highway in Vegas, and also on one north of LA. It's likely something to do with the front and rear spring constants being too similar or something.

Go faster or slower....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

nope mine does the same thing with my Ford find a different road to take its a wheel base thing
          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I feel for you. That hunk of pavement is WEIRD. I think the wheelbase is the core issue but maybe some weight in the bed might help. Certainly worth a try. You can probably get some ballast from the BS Engine Loser's Challenge (or whatever they called it). You could also drop tire pressures by 5 and see if it helps - free and worth trying. If it helps you feel any better, ME's HHR skips a bit on it, too, but not intolerable. Gotta be half the wheelbase of your truck, though.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
              Howdy,

I have a drive to the Denver International Airport tomorrow where lots of the freeway is concrete. The ride is intollerably bouncy, like in a harmonic sort of way, when I'm on concrete between ~60-68mph. The truck's a regular cab long bed with E range tires. I have the fronts at ~42psi and the rears at ~38. Any suggestions on tire pressures to try to kill this dang bounce?

Thanks,
              Aren't "E" rated tires suppose to have more air pressure in them than your running?? Check the door pillar for inflation recommendations, the fronts will usually have less air pressure than the rears(it helps the truck track straighter). Also check for pressure recommendations on the tires themselves I think my max air pressure on my tires is 80psi. If I'm remembering right I run mine with 55 psi in the front and 70 psi in the rears..........

Comment

If you're running with the bed empty - try 50psi in the rear, but - I'm afraid it's probably a wheelbase thing as stated.

If you've made the trip with a low fuel level in the truck - try it with the tank full - and/or add some ballast to the bed.

I know the feeling there are stretches of 23 North that do the same thing to every truck I've had with a trailer hooked up.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                X