Trying to Reason With Tornado Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to Reason With Tornado Season

I'm a weather wimp, I'm a peeing-on-myself sniveling 6-year-old schoolgirl when the weather people start talking about a "severe weather outbreak." I am, I admit it, Sue Unit can tell you all about it. Get flashlights ready, I unplug the TVs and computers and plan our escape 3 feet away to the downstairs bathroom the first time it thunders.

I guess it's based on one single bad night long ago - Hugo the Hurricane sucked in South Carolina. It was a nightmare.

Luckily it looks like today's giant storm was yet another media hype, at least where we live, thank goodness. Wind blew, wind stopped, rain started. Rain. ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!RUN AWAY!!!!!!! RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HIDE!!!!!!!! Life or death situation!!!!!!!!!

I HATE bad weather. The weather talkers started worrying me Friday with those three dreaded words. Now, I'm embarrassed again. Dang I'm a wimp. I'm a fool for it, I worry 10 times any rational amount every single time.

Not every other time, I mean EVERY time. Unit's dad never watched the weather report in his life. He didn't care. He figured you can't do anything about it, anyway. Maybe I should learn at least a little from that. And Unit grew up with him so she just sits there and watches me panic when the sky gets dark in the daytime. She laughs on the inside, I know she does, but she'll never let on to me that she does. She worries about me worrying so much.

weatherpansydub

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Re: Trying to Reason With Tornado Season

if it's your time it's your time,
    you can't beat mother nature

Comment

i spent my childhood in the kansas city area and was always fasinated with severe weather, i enjoyed watching storms roll in, went thru a couple tornadoes and was always fasinated by the damaged the caused, ive got a large number of things marked off my bucket list but one still not marked off is to get my pic taken with a F3+ tornado off in the distance, yea i guess i gotta death wish
      Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

At least you can hide from a tornado or flee a hurricane.
        Can't do either from an earthquake.
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I saw west kentucky in the news..

I am a weather nut too, but different reasons. mostly cold related.

like right now, drizzly, 33F..

tomorrow we get the same winds, never as lively as you guys... it must like the appalachians, these big fronts of change...all the way to texas.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

BOOGHAR you wimp! ;D F5 for me.Living in Kansas all my life the sirens go off and the natives go to the front porch to look for it. ;) Hurricanes you can leave or batten down the hatches.Like was said an eartquake Id be shittin kittens.

Comment

When tornados would touch down around my home town...the sky would turn this eerie yellow and everything was deathly quite...that scared me more than any tornado warning...7 touched down north east of my place one year about 15 miles as the crow flies...that was scary quite, yellow...just weird.
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I really like storms, unless I'm at work dragging a bunch of sick patients to the basement during tornado season! We moved a year ago and it was the first time in my life I've ever lived anywhere with a basement and we haven't had to use it yet.

When I was probably about 10 years old I saw a tornado, I was pretty scared then as was my dad who was driving with his 2 young girls and came upon this huge black windstorm! I used to think it seemed really big because I was so small, but my Dad has said it was really big, I think it was an F3. I guess maybe facing one is why I'm not that scared of them?

The storms missed us this weekend but there was lots of wind damage and large hail an hour or so south of us.

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR
                  i spent my childhood in the kansas city area and was always fasinated with severe weather, i enjoyed watching storms roll in, went thru a couple tornadoes and was always fasinated by the damaged the caused, ive got a large number of things marked off my bucket list but one still not marked off is to get my pic taken with a F3+ tornado off in the distance, yea i guess i gotta death wish
                  I live in franklin KS now, not more than 300 yards from my house is where the F 4/5 tornado went threw in 03 i didnt live
                  here then but it put a no parking sighn threw the out building and there was a stop sighn in the attic and they repaired the roof they
                  just left it up there. My buddy dave lived a half a mile away and took pics of another friends house being torn apart, from a LONG ways away they have his picture on the wall at my insurance company.
                  http://www.franklinkansas.com/tornado2003page.html - 9k - NOTE, if you look one the pics my friend dave took is the first one in the picture gallery
                  COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Don't be skeert PW! :D

The news in TN hypes up the weather more than anywhere I've lived. The joke in our house is, if there are clouds rolling in, forget about watching network TV! I've never seen a bunch of weather peeps that can say the SAME THING over and over and OVER!

I wish they would post the warning in the corner and SHUT UP! BTW our power was out for 12 hours, no trees down @ my place. Several down around the area tho.

Glad ya surived PW! ;D
                    A.K.A. Brian
                    Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

I love severe weather! I'm the kind of guy that chases tornados. I stood on top of a friends storm celler and watched an F5 go through Bridge Creek, OK about a mile north of me. Then I chased it to Moore, OK to my wife's apartment. All that was left, was a concrete slab and the neighbor's car upside down on top of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by sedandelivery55
                        I love severe weather! I'm the kind of guy that chases tornados. I stood on top of a friends storm celler and watched an F5 go through Bridge Creek, OK about a mile north of me. Then I chased it to Moore, OK to my wife's apartment. All that was left, was a concrete slab and the neighbor's car upside down on top of mine.
                        Dang. Okay, storm chasing is a noble pursuit, the same folks who jump out of perfectly good airplanes and play Frogger with a gas can in hand on the beltway around Atlanta, trying to get to the median wall (I saw it at 90 mph, trying not to get run over from behind at the same time).

So, tell the truth, as a storm chaser, do you actually want to be in the direct PATH of the tornado? Would that be the greatest thrill of all?

Comment

Those storm chaser shows are something else! You can't be an Earthquake chaser really although I have hiked down into a chasm in the ground up near the Mammoth Ski Resort. Mammoth has lots of volcano activity around it, there are some absolutely perfect undeveloped hot springs if you know where to look...The Chasm I went into is part of the San Andreas Fault, it can be a hot day but in the bottom of the chasm there is snow and they say the pioneers stored food there. there were a lot of wires and measuring things stuck into the walls, I refrained from shaking the hell out them ;D
                          That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

im just hoping lightning doesnt strike twice

but in parsons KS there has been some poeple torn up 3 times by tornados in the last 50 years or so :-\
                            COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman71
                              im just hoping lightning doesnt strike twice

but in parsons KS there has been some poeple torn up 3 times by tornados in the last 50 years or so :-\
                              Olds, that would lend credence to a comedy video I saw many years ago where the survivors of such a catastrophic event were staggering around outside the wreckage saying somethig like, "This one was a WHOLE lot bigger than the last six tornadoes we had..."

The dead comedian Sam Kennison would scream, "SO, MOVE!!!!!!!!!"

But these days it seems the weather is out of control, and that's a punch line by itself from a newspaper headline I read. So, where do you move TO?

And when was the weather ever "under control?"

Comment

Working...
                              X