Have you ever noticed...............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever noticed...............

Have you ever noticed that as soon as you commit your money to another project that something you've been wanting for years magically pops up for sale? Case in point, I've been buying parts for some of my projects and then I picked up an old Harley to put around on. I figured I'd build it up as a fun little bar hopper. So I'm on the phone a week later with an old friend of mine and he casually mentions his dad is selling his old shovelhead since he's got a new Evo. The same bike I've been drooling over for something like 15 FRIGGIN' years. Unbelievable. Now it's decision time, do I sell this bike and some other stuff to buy this '74, or carry on my merry way with the one I just bought. Why couldn't this have happened, oh I don't know, maybe like a day before I bought this one? Anyone else have the same luck, or does stuff like this happen to me just because I'm Jewish?

Nik

Re: Have you ever noticed...............

shovelheads are cool.

sometimes dreams come true, sometimes they're not meant to be. sometimes you gotta ask yourself what you really want.

personally, i'm the guy that gets there a day late. oh, it just sold this morning, i really let that other guy con me down to half what i wanted...grumble grumble. ;D

Comment

Yeah me too. So I've decided I have the gta trans am to just refine (paint refresh motor) and the formula to do what ever I want. And that this is just going to be the only one I'm going to do.The only exception is a motorcycle.The little lady is all for it as lomg as gas savings pays for it in 16-18 wks .Not much of a bike but hey it would be a start.

Comment

Nope
        I've been in that position several times myself - you're not the only one.

That's one reason sometimes to keep some cash around in a "just in case" fund, but that takes a great deal of financial discipline.... that I don't have most of the time!

I guess it depends on just how much horse trading it would take you to make the shovel head yours....

everything has an opportunity cost.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Buy it, If you really want it you will find a way to finish it.
          It really sucks when your own realitives sell a car that you always wanted. Thier Excuse is always, "I thought you would'nt want this Old thing". "Your cars are much nicer".

I had one guy feeling guilty for Trading a Car to me because the Carb was bad, so he put a new one on it and it started right up and then he would'nt part with it just before I came over to pick it up.

Comment

If you decide to sell your bike to get his, make sure he knows you are going to do that. Give him a deposit, even if he doesn't want one.

I was going to trade a 68 Cougar a few years ago for a 92 Mustang LX notchback. The guy decided he didn't want to trade, so I sold my car to buy his, went to get it, he had sold it. I wouldn't have sold my Cougar if I knew that.

Comment

Originally posted by VTJUNK
              If you decide to sell your bike to get his, make sure he knows you are going to do that. Give him a deposit, even if he doesn't want one.

I was going to trade a 68 Cougar a few years ago for a 92 Mustang LX notchback. The guy decided he didn't want to trade, so I sold my car to buy his, went to get it, he had sold it. I wouldn't have sold my Cougar if I knew that.

It's an old family friend, so I wouldn't be worried about it. If I decide to get it I'm sure he'd hold how ever long I needed. It just kills me that this is probably the fifth time I can remember when after going ahead and getting a second choice, the first one suddenly pops up for sale. Oh well, either way I'll end up with something else to annoy the neighbors with.
              Nik

Comment

I painfully watch the classifieds and walk miles at swap meets for THE project I want and right as I'm trying to put it together, the well pump, the furnace, and the tree in the front yard all blow up. When I have a project nest egg... fate, the government, and bad luck all seem to want a cut.

Ever notice how as soon as you make some real progress on a project and are steaming ahead, your GF/Wife/Sister/Mother/Retarded Brother in Law/neighbor/friend needs the kind of help you can't say no too? >
                Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

i cant win for loosing on this one. it weems every time i want somthing its never around and when it does show up, its too late for me

Comment

Nope.. The ones I want are never for sale. DOH. :-[
                    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

What year is it? If its an AMF bagger, I wouldn't feel too bad. Now a '58 Duo-Glide, or an electric blue '69 Electra-Glide yeah.

The AMF bikes could be good ones if you take them apart and build them back right though, I've done a few that weren't even safe to ride new off the showroom floor. They turned out fine though, had one with a crooked frame, and another with the swing arm like it had a million miles on it, but a new bolt and bushing set fixed it. Many crooked wheels. I hate lacing spokes, and it really aggravates you when the owner takes it in to the dealer and they can't find anything wrong with it. Sadly, the only guy I knew who could really true wheels worked for Honda. That was humiliating back in those "bowling ball Harley" days.

The pre AMFs are probably worn out, and the new ones are fantastic but pricey. One of the best bikes I got on was a beat up '87 Sturgis. That bike had some miles on it, but it was still like new, rode like a Cadillac. It was such a relief when they bought out back to the mother ship.

Comment

BUY IT... don't matter what it costs... you can figure out how to afford it later...

Unless of course it's a Forumla... then ask your wife for a sneak peak at your nuts in the Jar...

K

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                          BUY IT... don't matter what it costs... you can figure out how to afford it later...

Unless of course it's a Forumla... then ask your wife for a sneak peak at your nuts in the Jar...

K
                          :D :D :D Next would be an Annette Funicello pink Vespa

Comment

If you've been drooling over it for 15 years, I think you've answered your own question. 8)

Comment

Just buy it. You won't get a second chance.
                              200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Working...
                              X