T-Buckets, why all the hate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: T-Buckets, why all the hate?

Rode in a bucket once, Hemi powered, injected and on alcohol. One short blast of the throttle and I sh*t myself. Very hard to control but what really freaked me was the sides of the door were barely above my ass cheeks, felt like if we hit a bump in the road it would toss me out. Was still cool to look at though, I suppose you would get used to the feeling if it was yours and you were the one driving
    "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Comment

I like T buckets if you leave off the beer keg gas tank, lantern lights, and M/T valve covers. The lakes style T's with no bed at all are really cool looking. I have one that I bought for the wife. Had it 7 years- bought it as someone else's abandoned project- have spent maybe 15 hours on it. It needs to be built from the ground up. I really want to sell it due to lack of time to work on it- but I digress.

A buddy of mine's dad built one back in the early to mid 80's. Rode to a show with my buddy in it once- 80 miles one way. For a stock 350, that thing would really move. I don't like sitting so far up in the bucket- for a big guy with a high CG, I feel like I am going to fall out. I could touch the back tire and the exhaust with my hand.

Still the closest thing to driving just an engine.

Comment

I have always liked T's, but they were in that category with those 70's fiberglass Dune Buggy's.
        Cool, but kind of impracticable.
        :-\

Comment

Used to pit near a fellow, that had a 427 rec port/glide combo. One night he blew a head gasket, while
          winning round one. So the thrash was on. Body off, 15 minutes maybe. I was suprised, looked like your
          average kit t-bucket frame, minimal bar and cage work. I'm sure it wouldn't have teched at many tracks.
          Anyway, it couldn't have been any more than an hour, back together, making his way to the lanes. I'm
          right out there for the burnout. I had never really watched the car, and it hooked a bit coming out of the
          water. Weather had cooled a bit,(night race) and this sucker was sounding Good. This track wasn't that
          good in the best conditions, now my guy rips off an 8.96, driving that sucker. I was thinking at the time,
          I don't know if I'd have the balls to drive it.

Comment

They look like fun - low weight and lots of power. I definitely prefer the go versions to show - the Roth-esque cartoon ones aren't my cup of tea.

I've often thought about building one if I had the time and funds. Mine would probably be more of the Altered school of T-bucket design, though - it would have IFS and a roll cage tied into the frame rails to make something like a space frame and stiffen up the chassis.

Comment

Aren't they about the cheapest of the "kit" cars to build because there's so little body work?

Sure looks like it:

There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Had a bud who raced one with a 302 sbc/PG in it. Way too much cam so it only ran 11.70s. 1800lbs, full cage, 11" slicks, and it would yank the fronts about three inches on every run. If I were going to build one, and I have been thinking about it rather seriously, it would be more like this one. Mine would only have a healthy Pontiac 400 and a full cage so I dont end up splattered on the highway up here. Im not into the brass, chrome, and fad T crap either. Make it simple and relatively safe for cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455
                  If I were going to build one, and I have been thinking about it rather seriously, it would be more like this one. Mine would only have a healthy Pontiac 400

Uh....I think you missed the point about the Winged Express. The engine IS the car.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Nah I know that, but I just dont feel the need to drive a nitro fed blown hemi around on the highway. So a simple 400 will do for me.. only need 450-500hp to have stupid fun anyway.

Comment

The thing is, without the blown fuel hemi, you're not gonna get the Winged Express look. at all.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I know, that is what makes that car. I am talkin about the all business attitude, no show all go. More of a theme than a recreation. Although if I could find an old 354 or 392 and a magnesium blower case I would love to build a street version of the Express. I know a guy who has all the above, but he doesnt want to part with them cheap enough for me to build it.

Comment

Working...
                        X