So Walt stopped in this afternoon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Walt stopped in this afternoon...

I was working on a friends car, and she said the brakes were making a grinding noise, but recently it stopped grinding. So we pull the wheel off and take a look, it doesnt look too bad really....

That is of course if you dont look behind the rotor. The caliper piston was almost entirely out of the caliper, just barely holding in there. She was just a few stops from a huge brake leak and a possible accident. Took the caliper apart, bead blasted it while Walt did the rotor and pads on the other side. Stuck it back together, and put on a new rotor.

Here is the back side of the rotor... Kids when its grinding, get it looked at.

She is going to make a clock out of it or something, she likes the pattern. Said it was fine all dirty and crusty like that... Ok I guess...

Re: So Walt stopped in this afternoon...

now that's using your brakes to the last stop.... dang :o
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I've seen a few fleet delivery vehicles come into work like that. Complaint: Check brakes. Makes you think about the vehicles around you on the street and just how safe you are/aren't.
      GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

Yeah, that'll be tomorrow's "Caption this photo" on the blog.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

i had a $300 buick with brakes like that once, if i find the picture ill post it up :D

EDIT:

ahh here it is ;D

Comment

Not a break rotor ......
            half a rotor maybe. And man...that would make an excellent clock.

Comment

Aren't those cooling slots? Man, I'd just slide in a pair of pads and call it good!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                Aren't those cooling slots? Man, I'd just slide in a pair of pads and call it good!

Dan
                why not, they are still round.

I shattered a rotor , but never ground down that blindly ignorant. ???
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Thanks again Todd for letting me wrench a bit and chill from school a little. I needed the break, and it was fun to come down and check things out and goof off.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988montecarloss
                    i had a $300 buick with brakes like that once, if i find the picture ill post it up :D

EDIT:

ahh here it is ;D

We had a lady come in with brakes like that. We asked how she ciuldnt hear the grinding. She said she didnt hear it until her radio broke.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

We had a teachers car come into the HS auto shop looking like that - it was a Buick too if I recall.

amazing what some people don't notice, like the wheels bouncing up and down on the highway from a horrible imbalance - and they just keep driving.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
                        You said that about me once :P

Working at Autozone I saw just one rotor come in like that. The mechanic brought it in just to show us :P
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I've seen that happen more than once with customer cars........We always got a good laugh out of it. ;) :D

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                            Originally posted by Buickguy
                            You said that about me once :P

Working at Autozone I saw just one rotor come in like that. The mechanic brought it in just to show us :P
                            Originally posted by milner351
                            We had a teachers car come into the HS auto shop looking like that - it was a Buick too if I recall.

amazing what some people don't notice, like the wheels bouncing up and down on the highway from a horrible imbalance - and they just keep driving.

and I was hit by a woman in a Buick (when I was on my bike, in a bike lane, wearing spandex and red/white/blue top, with a bright flashing light that's garnered complaints for being too bright)....

damn Buicks, really, why didn't they keep pontiac alive?!!!
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by 116ciHemi
                              Thanks again Todd for letting me wrench a bit and chill from school a little. I needed the break, and it was fun to come down and check things out and goof off.
                              Anytime man. Maybe next time I will show you how to break down and clean an AR15/M4...

Comment

Working...
                              X