any reason not to use spray in/ roll in bed liner in inner wheel wells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any reason not to use spray in/ roll in bed liner in inner wheel wells

I am buying a used 2006 gmc sierra and it needs to last me a long time. There is no undercoating inside of the inner wheel wells in the back, they are just painted body color and are in reallt good shape. i would like to keep ip this way so I want to do something to protect it from Wisconsin winters and salty roads. I was thinking of using rubberized undercoating or rolling on a bedliner type coating which seems to be very durable. I was just wondering if there was any reason i shouldnt do this. Naturally I would prep it good first. Thaks for any input

Re: any reason not to use spray in/ roll in bed liner in inner wheel wells

I'd be more worried about the rockers and cab corners..
    as long as you keep paint on the rear wheel area it'll be fine..
    you could add the bed liner, but if it lifts somewhere you'll never know it untill the bubble comes through the paint..
    rusty gones went belly up because of this

Comment

As long as it's prepped well and you use a quality liner it should last a long time.

At work we just sprayed the bottom of a 60s Mini Cooper panel van when we did the body. The guy lives on a dirt road and is really going to drive it so he wants it protected. He did much research on the pros and cons and decided it was worth the effort.

Comment

I'd be really worried about getting it to stick then like Taz points out getting water trapped between it and the paint. It's a prep work thing, DanStokes probably is the best to answer this one.

I have a simular question though it's a bit more of an NVH idea. I hate the sound of stuff bouncing off of the wheel wells on my cars and after riding in a super low model mercedes taxi in the UK and noticing that it didn't sound like driving through a car wash when you hit a puddle I really wanted to duplicate that. With proper prep, can something like a rubberized liner keep that annoying sound down on a steel inner fender?
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

wagons get noisy like that.. no extra bracing o the rear sometimes.. wheel wells on their own.

I use primer and evercoat undercoat sprayable and 90 degree day.

to use your own sprayer is much more quantity for same price.

it can stay thin, no bubbles.

come time to smash into it to repair something, that stuff can be removed.

I had to do this for j-tin.
          a truck could last many times longer doing same thing.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main
            wagons get noisy like that.. no extra bracing o the rear sometimes.. wheel wells on their own.

I use primer and evercoat undercoat sprayable and 90 degree day.

to use your own sprayer is much more quantity for same price.

it can stay thin, no bubbles.

come time to smash into it to repair something, that stuff can be removed.

I had to do this for j-tin.
            a truck could last many times longer doing same thing.

Dude, switch to decaf.
            Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Originally posted by mc1984ss
              I am buying a used 2006 gmc sierra and it needs to last me a long time. There is no undercoating inside of the inner wheel wells in the back, they are just painted body color and are in reallt good shape. i would like to keep ip this way so I want to do something to protect it from Wisconsin winters and salty roads. I was thinking of using rubberized undercoating or rolling on a bedliner type coating which seems to be very durable. I was just wondering if there was any reason i shouldnt do this. Naturally I would prep it good first. Thaks for any input
              on the 99-06 trucks the things that rust the worst are the cab corners, rockers and rear wheel arches. you should be more concerned about rust-proofing those instead of under the bed. i live in maine so i know all about salt on the roads haha, it sucks

Comment

Dang am I glad I don't live in the north.
                Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

We did the entire interior as well as the wheel wells on my Blazer in 02. It is holding up fantastic. The wheel well was striped and sand blasted. Then a coat of dp-90 then (I think it was gator guard) was sprayed. I would go with a two part. The single stage stuff is not that durable. I am going to guess that some quality time with scotch-brite red pads and klean-wash will be all the prep you need.

Good luck and keep us posted

Steve
                  Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Seth and I cleaned the belly of his '64 on my hoist with brake cleaner wire brush rags and scotch brite, then applied the duplicolor DIY bedliner.

It lasted maybe a year before it all pealed off - he can confirm if it was the duplicolor brand or another - but I'm pretty sure it was something he picked up over the counter.

I've had similar luck with spray can undercoating.

I've been wanting to give this stuff a try:
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

many of the bedliner places also undercoat cars - I'd have them do it, then you get the warranty if it does actually rust..
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The only reason I can think of not to do it, is that it's ugly. But it's up to you to decide if the rust or the liner stuff is uglier. How do older trucks of that bodystyle look where you live? (99-2007 trucks are pretty much identical underneath)
                        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                          The only reason I can think of not to do it, is that it's ugly. But it's up to you to decide if the rust or the liner stuff is uglier. How do older trucks of that bodystyle look where you live? (99-2007 trucks are pretty much identical underneath)
                          ugly?? don't think you can see the back side of the bed wheel arch from the road..
                          but these trucks rot the rockers and cab corners..
                          rockers from rock chips and dirt getting inside them and cab corners from lack of cleaning in the interior side. and dirt builds up and stays wet..

Comment

The wheel well does not show as much as on the 2007-up trucks, but you can still see it. And I'd see it when I'm under the truck, it would bug me then. I am strange though. And spoiled by our beautiful weather here.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by mc1984ss View Post
                              Would you please tell me, which is the good in 2018, roll in bed liner or spray in DIY bedliner ?

Comment

Working...
                              X