Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cars... What percentage is spend on them...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cars... What percentage is spend on them...

... and what percentage is used elsewhere...

Or differently put,
    Do you 'sacrifice' elsewhere so you can spend a little more on your car(s)? :o

For instance, the monthly costs of my garage are slightly more than the cost of my house. I have a fairly small house though and my garage is not near to my house.
    After deduction of the monthly 'cost of living' and some occassional savings, about all that's 'left' ends up being spent on cars or tools. I don't really skimp on food or anything ofcourse, but since I have a fairly cheap house to live in, I can spend some more money on renting a nice garage-space for instance.

I'm just wondering how much of you CarJunkies have changed your way of living so you can 'enjoy' cars more?

oh yeah,
    please also mention if you're single, or living under constant supervision... erhm, I mean being married of course... ;D
    www.BigBlockMopar.com

Re: Cars... What percentage is spend on them...

I keep telling my wife her horses cost more than my cars....but she knows I'm wrong....

but they probably do cost about as much as her cars.

If you look at square feet of floors, I think the two story house is about the same as the shop and garage added together. The house did cost more to buy/add on/remodel.

The excuse for moving out here in the country was her getting a horse, but it sure makes it nice for cars! the neighbors also have old cars on their 4 acre lots, so we all get along swell.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I definately am under "constant supervision", Ken really keeps an eye on what I'm ordering for the cars! ;D Makes it hard to surprise him for Christmas or a birthday. :P We don't have a special budget for the cars, just spend what's needed at the time to get the job done.

Jim, I too have had horses and they do cost more than our HP. But I totally understand why Mrs. Jim wants to have them.

Cheaps 8)

Comment

For the most part every loose bill or coin goes to my cars.
        HRPT 2004LH 2007LH 2008

Comment

My car is up there with beer and forces me to find ways to cut corners on less necessary items like gym memberships and fishing trips. My g/f gets flowers as often as the car gets new stuff, and she appreciates that I compromise between her and adding to my carburetor collection. When I was building my car, I quit smoking and almost never ate in restaurants. I still am very conscious of spending on frivolous things, when I should be saving up for gas, slicks and insurance money.

I believe my car has made me a smarter consumer, and a better person. : lol.

Comment

I try not to spend money from my paycheck on cars except the Car payments. any go fast stuff is paid from Artwork, Swapping work on other peoples cars, Sometimes a bit of Overtime at work, and Wheeling and dealing old parts and work. I 'm sure if I hit the Lottery, Summits shipping department would be quite busy.

Comment

Lets just say I spend what I need slowly. I mean if bright shiny parts show up all the time the warden, uh, I mean my wife asked to many questions. Alot of stuff for my car I (traded) for. It's not that I'm dishonest, it's simple a need to know basis. She has a brand new house, custom built. A brand new car. All brand new furniture. Somehow those rules don't apply to my car. Yeah its a sore subject. If I was single my car would be done.

Comment

I do the parts swapping thing. I hit the swap meet and look for parts I need if I come across a real steal on a part I don't need for one of my cars, I'll pick it up and sell it. The money I make from the part becomes money for my project. It's basic horse trading 101...

Comment

JR I really like that comment.... I never took money out of our ordinary income to do cars... I earned it outside of work .... to support the hobby...

I had a paint shop for a couple of years when I was doing my Healey until I could afford it from doing houses on the side... ( MUCH easier then cars to make money on )....

Just never felt right taking food from the table for a car part... or reducing the long term viablity of our income...( hmmm )

Keith

Comment

Essentially, I've made my car money from car work. I lose a little on each one, but make it up on the volume. Then I go to ME and she and I figure out where to get the $$. She's really good about it.

Dan

Comment

Not enough by the looks of it. When I have a little extra I like to stock up on the next couple of projects so I have something to do in the slow times.

Comment

I have never spent regular income on my cars. We as a family were pretty bad off once when we were young, almost homeless. If I didn't have additional skills (cooking, construction) to pick up multiple jobs we might not have made it. I will never go back there again!! Now that we are doing well I still won't spend normal income on my cars (they show it as well). I get quarterly bonus checks 50% of this income I use for my hobbies. The other 50% goes towards college funds for my 2 little ones (now that I have finished with their older brother- I tell him he is my beach house).

Comment

Seeing as i only make 8 bucks an hour, all my money that isnt for food or gas goes into tools or my car.... part of that is the money i am saving to buy a car this spring when i graduate

Comment

The reality for me is im 25 and im a cheapass. I simply dont buy stuff I cannot afford. Also the last few years have been spent saving for a house, and getting married. I value my savings account WAY more than I value buying unnecessary crap for my car. I mean Ill buy little $100 dollar things here and there, but once I reach the certian level im shooting for in my savings {Wich is probably alot higher than you think} then ill allow myself to spend a huge chunk of $$$ on my car as a reward. So I guess I do it "differently" but I just like going to the bank, having no debt, and having a large savings account!! This enables me to buy what I want, when I want, down the line and not have to "ask the wife"

Comment

When I got married I sold everything except my tools and a Deuce frame, did some work for other guys in exchange for parts to build the Deuce chassis,... finished it and sold it off to a guy for some cash and a Model A coupe body,... used the cash to build a chassis, made the A coupe a roller Hot Rod project and traded it for cash and a rough Deuce 3 window project,.......... That's how it started with a promise to my Wife never to use household funds on the Hot Rods,..... in fact, in some rough times a car would be sold to supplement the household finances.

Comment

Working...
                              X