Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blog: Defending Donks, Bubbles, and Boxes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blog: Defending Donks, Bubbles, and Boxes!

Hmmmm..... I'm torn on this blog...
    I don't like the authorities singling out an automotive group...but....

All of the local big wheeled cars I've looked at are VERY poorly done. Tie rods/ball joints maxed out, welded in spring "cups" that have the springs bowed into almost 90* angle, stock length rear control arms that have swung so far forward that the rubber makes contact with the body....on and on and on....

Its possible to do a big wheeled car cheaply, (minus the wheels) but not right.
    Are there top notch big wheeled cars that can go cross country? I'm sure! But you have to have quite a bit of knowledge to lift it correctly and sort out the steering mess.
    Hell, look a lifted 4wd trucks. There are complete KITS to correct those things, and people still screw it up!

The other issue is profiling.... I don't want to go there too far, but the hip-hop crew is in love with these cars.
    I don't want to stereotype.....but most of time the image I've seen generated by them is someone looking for trouble. (at least based on their music, movies & video) I have to imagine that could be a deciding factor as to why the police may target such a vehicle.

Is it wrong for them to be targeted? Man I don't know..... I don't want scarey cars on the road, but in reality they could question the "safety" of my 600hp "street" Mustang. It is a pathway that could limit my rights at some point as well.
    Last edited by andy30thz; April 19, 2011, 12:39 PM.

the big wheel tire stuff has been happening local for as long as I have seen the pickups setup for mud.

the half tons bent stuff, beyond that anything goes realistic if it fits.

I even have an old subaru approx 3 inches beyond oem diameter.. of course the origin was as crazy as a v8 falcon with 13 inch wheels. it needed bigger to be safe.

there is extremes to everything.. I don't enjoy them most often.
    the heavy cars that oem 14-15.. and going to 16-18 or whatever modern.. that is normal. the donks in the twenty plus inch, I don't quite get them.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I guess you gotta protect all the car cultures or we could be next.
      COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman71 View Post
        I guess you gotta protect all the car cultures or we could be next.
        exactly. I they're are going to go against a lifted regal on 20's, then why not a lowered silverado on SSS 20's with a turbo? then anything with a turbo?

in the ends its the government and the people in charge are clueless.
        Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Originally posted by kyhunter89 View Post
          exactly. I they're are going to go against a lifted regal on 20's, then why not a lowered silverado on SSS 20's with a turbo? then anything with a turbo?

in the ends its the government and the people in charge are clueless.

x3

Look on the bright side, at least SOMEONE is out there doing SOMETHING, and spending money, on cars. I treat Drifters the same way: they're out there beating on, breaking, fixing, and improving their cars... more power to 'em. Now, the "show car" crowd.... argh
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I've been doing more breaking and fixing then beating and improving on the 240 in the last month. Who clearifies what is a street car and what's a track car, what if you daily a track car in their eyea?
            Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

I despise those cars, but they do fit the time-honored description of hot rods.
              They have been modified by their owners to improve function or style (I know, barf).
              So yeah, they are in the pool with us - and we say "stay the hell out" to those who wanna spoil the fun.
              Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

no answer here...just an historical observation.

Tucson, 1980s: Hot rodders cruised Speedway blvd Saturday nights. All was fine. Gangsters cruised South 6th Ave. All was not fine. Cops had to crack down on "cruisers", guess who got screwed in this deal?
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I agree with you guys.....sort of. But the cars I've seen were REALLY butchered.....
                  I just stopped at our local truck shop to get a hose made and out front was an 80's caddy with 24's under it. The owner brought it in and the driveshaft fell out in the parking lot. The car had a 5" lift of some sort and needed a lengthened driveshaft. (I saw the shaft and the tip of the slip yoke was all beat to shit from just catching the output splines) The rear had the stock control arms and the tires were rubbing metal in the front because of the new axle location.....

What is the right thing to do here? Maybe I'm the only guy who is seeing the majority of big wheeled cars being built poorly?
                  And don't think I'm biased and hate all big wheeled cars. The caddy in front of the truck shop looked good from a distance, clean stock paint, understated but huge wheels....then I looked under it...pretty scary!

In another thread people talk about track owners not letting properly equipped cars race because it could ruin the fun for everyone. Isn't this sort of the same thing?
                  Last edited by andy30thz; April 19, 2011, 02:29 PM.

Comment

I posted a comment on the blog. Waiting for approval

My observation is lots of the time these cars are hacked and the safety concerns are valid. From under sized brakes, to wheel studs not even remotely close to going through the rim, to funked up steering geometry, etc. I've seen two or three sitting on the side of the road with a wheel fallen off. Of course I don't know if it was from a poor wheel stud setup or from someone trying to jack the wheel (very probable).
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Yeah...it's car stuff

but

anything over 15" is a waste
                      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I have to agree also that a car guy is a car guy (or girl). I hate Donks as much as anybody but if the law starts cracking down were does it end. There have been alot of automotive trends come and go over the years, some more awful than others. But the really tasteless ones seem to drop off the face of the earth eventually.
                        Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

only issue i have is every one i have seen where unsafe.

i have actualy never seen one that would be considered safe to be honest here in michigan all have been hacked
                          Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                          Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                            Yeah...it's car stuff

but

anything over 15" is a waste
                            i agree but my car needs a minimum of 16" to fit over the brakes lol
                            Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                            Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Just to play devil's advocate:

It sounds like letting the cops do what they do to these "donks" is fine. I'm with SAN if they're fighting legislation but if Cincinnati is hassling gangsters for whatever they can to let them know they're being watched, I don't see a problem with it. If they try to sneak an ordinance in against vehicle modification or wheel size, then yeah, I'm with SAN. Until then, let cops do their job. We probably don't know the whole story. At least they're not out writing 4mph over tickets to meet the monthly quota.
                              Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Working...
                              X