Road trip ideas in the North East?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road trip ideas in the North East?

So I'm going to have a few days, like 4 or 5, and was going to take a trip. Like a get in the car and drive deal. I'd like to go North, because I haven't been that far North yet, lower New York is the farthest. I've been as far East as you can drive, quite a ways South, and halfway West. I actually considered Texas, because my old roommate is currently there, but that may be a little far for my time frame. My only, worry I guess, about going North though, is Spring is just starting here and I'll be going back a few weeks by going North, back to the bare trees and little green. Any suggestions on where to hit? If I go North, I'll definitely see Niagara Falls, then go from there. I know I can hit the Mississippi River in a days drive, as well as South Carolina, so I considered those options as well. I'll probably want to stop at a few places which would add to my driving time, so I should keep it within one or two states, which means Texas is out, can probably do Tennessee though. I'm leaning toward going North though, because I haven't been that far North yet. Any suggestions on what to see?

Dont come here the roads are full of potholes, LOL! Its just starting to get green but that far north its still going to be bare and cold.
    Go see the Saint Lawrence seaway thats pretty cool its a canal. YOu can hit Canada too since you are up near Niagara Falls. I will post
    something else if I think of anything.

Comment

When are you planning to come up this way? How far north are you thinking?
      Solutions are often obvious once you get the questions right.

Comment

This is not exactly what you were looking for but some junkies are taking a "tour" on the Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway in 2 weeks - go to Forum-BangShift-Unofficial Hot Rod Power Tour Board-BRP 2011 "Spring Blooms" Tour - April 29 to May 1
        a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

if you're going to the falls..
          then bring a passport.. so you can see it from the canada side also..

Comment

Yeah, I hear the Canada side is better, but it's the same waterfall. I'm going May 4th to the 7th or 8th. I wouldn't mind doing the Blue Ridge thing again, it was pretty cool lats time I went there, but that's right when school is winding down and I'm going to be busy with final projects and what not. But it's all over on the 3rd, so I'm leaving on the 4th.

Comment

How about a drive through the Finger Lakes in Upstate New York. Hit the wine trail and do some sampling, Visit Watkins Glen or the Corning Museum of Glass. Lots to see up here.
              Last edited by gearhead1218; April 20, 2011, 05:24 PM.
              sigpicJohn Castelli
              www.gonecruisincarclub.com

Comment

if your locale "nepa" northeast pa..

I have been to the top all the way across to new york, past glens falls.. lake placid. new hampshire, vermont, maine..canadian border.

maine is the most interesting. going past fort kent to the west until dirt.

the st. john is a gigantic epiphany. Volatile gargantuate comes to mind...that source gave borders for 3 new england states and chops connecticut in half with a river.

I have done that route from here to southern pa, and back.. 25 hours. 1350 miles or so.
                I recall the north part of the other states as rough as hell, even on the highways. maines 95 is a fast ride the last 120 miles of it, and even before for many...then the country roads begin.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

A very cool drive is up Bear Mountain, up near West Point, NY. Across the Hudson, I think. Pretty scenic.

Definitely gotta drive through NYC, but dont do it during the day. Its prettier at night, and there's less traffic. Going in from I-95 over the Goethels bridge (NJ) into the Lincoln tunnel gives you an eyeful of Manhattan. Or right over the Verrazano from Staten Island, then around the Brooklyn beltway towards Manhattan also gives you a pretty good skyline view.
                  Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post
                    A very cool drive is up Bear Mountain, up near West Point, NY. Across the Hudson, I think. Pretty scenic.

Definitely gotta drive through NYC, but dont do it during the day. Its prettier at night, and there's less traffic. Going in from I-95 over the Goethels bridge (NJ) into the Lincoln tunnel gives you an eyeful of Manhattan. Or right over the Verrazano from Staten Island, then around the Brooklyn beltway towards Manhattan also gives you a pretty good skyline view.
                    Maybe I can hit Bear Mt. on my way back down, but I will avoid NYC at all costs. I've been there 3 times, every time I said was my last time going, kind of fun in a bus though, not at all in a car.

Wow, Fort Kent is up there, but it is only 14-17 hours, so I can probably make it to the top of the country. Thanks for all the ideas so far.

Comment

Vermont & NH have some way cool drives, not sure how far north you're planning on.

the Cancamangus Highway in NH is a mountain road that you don't wanna miss...
                      Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Don't know how much would be going on this early in the year, but Thousand Islands, NY is a beautiful area. It's about 1.5-2 hrs north of Syracuse.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I may try to make a route to hit all the spots, or just drive for a day or two and figure out where I am afterward so I can get home. The 2nd choice always seems to be more fun. If I decide to plan a route, I'll post it up and see if anyone is near that route that I may run into.

Comment

Working...
                          X